Condoleeza Rice: Racial Issues Related to Poverty

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
We generally have good race relations Condoleezza Rice discusses race in America today AL.com

Rice, who grew up in Titusville, a middle-class neighborhood in southwest Birmingham, said the race problems that do exist today can be attributed to poverty.

"We do have a particularly bad mix when race and poverty come together," she said. "That's where many of the problems we're seeing today really reside – when there's a lack of opportunity, when there are neighborhoods that are violent, when generations after generations of kids have grown up without stable homes, where they watched violence every day and where they must feel it's a million miles from where they lived to where I live."

For years, Rice has been a vocal supporter of advancing public education. She started a program within the Boys & Girls Club organization called Center for a New Generation, which is an after school enrichment program for kids in underprivileged areas. Last week, she spoke to 40 Woodlawn High School students in Birmingham and co-chaired a benefit luncheon for Birmingham's A.G. Gaston Boys & Girls Club.

"I'm black. When people say this is all about race, I say, 'No, the great majority of black Americans are doing just fine,'" said Rice. "But there are a lot who aren't because of race and poverty. That's why, for me, education is so key because if you can equip a child, no matter their circumstances, with a high quality education, then they're going to be able to take control of their circumstances."

I find myself in general agreement with her. What are your thoughts on her remarks?

We generally have good race relations Condoleezza Rice discusses race in America today AL.com

Rice, who grew up in Titusville, a middle-class neighborhood in southwest Birmingham, said the race problems that do exist today can be attributed to poverty.

"We do have a particularly bad mix when race and poverty come together," she said. "That's where many of the problems we're seeing today really reside – when there's a lack of opportunity, when there are neighborhoods that are violent, when generations after generations of kids have grown up without stable homes, where they watched violence every day and where they must feel it's a million miles from where they lived to where I live."

For years, Rice has been a vocal supporter of advancing public education. She started a program within the Boys & Girls Club organization called Center for a New Generation, which is an after school enrichment program for kids in underprivileged areas. Last week, she spoke to 40 Woodlawn High School students in Birmingham and co-chaired a benefit luncheon for Birmingham's A.G. Gaston Boys & Girls Club.

"I'm black. When people say this is all about race, I say, 'No, the great majority of black Americans are doing just fine,'" said Rice. "But there are a lot who aren't because of race and poverty. That's why, for me, education is so key because if you can equip a child, no matter their circumstances, with a high quality education, then they're going to be able to take control of their circumstances."

I find myself in general agreement with her. What are your thoughts on her remarks?
I hate she is a republican but I understand why. I think she is spot on but the words are hollow if the root of the problem cannot be addressed. The problem is lack of the right type of knowledge and the habits needed to be successful. Successful Blacks are equipped to deal with the burden of racism. Blacks in poverty are fighting an incomprehensible amount of barricades and hurdles. Many simple give up.

• Banned
Condie had many advantages that many blacks growing up in poverty do not have. She is a very smart, classy woman, and she knows how to fit in with successful professional people.

Of course it has a lot to do with poverty. And that has a lot to do with history. And people act like slavery was centuries ago. NO! A black man's grandfather's grandfather was picking cotton in a hot field, sleeping in a shack, and being beaten for making eye contact with white women. To put it in perspective, the radio is decades older than racial discrimination. Blacks weren't considered humans when the Wright brothers made their first flight. They weren't allowed the vote when Henry Ford created his first automobile. They were being shot with fire hoses while we were working towards landing on the Moon.

WE give these fucking assholes a huge head up in college, test scores and put up with their violent ways,,,and it still isn't enough.

It is called hard work and building your own ass out of the hole...Instead, they focus on violence and rioting.

Dumb assholes. Fuck em and their whines.

• Banned
So, Matthew, how do you explain Condoleeza Rice?

Why do you all ignore what condelessa said. "The majority of blacks are doing just fine."

I am so tired, the country is so tired of the whole black victimization mantra. They have had more money spent on the , more laws bent for them, and more media coverage on them than any other segment of America. If you were an outsider you'd think blacks made up 87 per cent of the country instead of 13 percent. And thank god Baltimore puts to rest the myth that it is white control that is the problem. Black,people run Baltimore and the school system is the second richest in the country on a per capita basis. Nobody but blacks are going to solve their own problems. As long as you have racist presidents and commentators like travis smiley who claim that the black family problems are because they are not letting the mommies get welfare if the baby daddy is in the house we are never going to solve any problems. There is a race industry, there are race hustlers, and there are black people who are heavily invested in perpetuating racism.

There was more black culture, more black family cohesiveness, and more black pride when racism truly was manifest 50, 60, or 70 years ago. There was also more pride in country by the black community. More dignity and more emphasis on education.

As Obama has proved racism is,divisive. Enough with the black stuff. Let's include the other 87 percent of our citizens, start thinking of ourselves as Americans instead of subgroups, and start doing what's best for the country. Condelessa would,want it that way.

Forum List

Back