Conditioning your Heart and Lungs

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When Dr. Kenneth Cooper published his book, "Aerobics," it took the fitness industry by storm. In a nutshell, he proposed that one could (basically) guarantee good health by simply doing exercises that raised the heart rate to the "aerobic" level, and kept it there for 20 or more minutes, three times per week. Distance running was the easiest path to this exercise goal.

The aerobic level, in basic terms, is 220 minus your age, multiplied by 70-85%. So for a 40 year old human, it would be (220-40) x 0.7 (to 0.85) = 126 to 153.

It is Dr. Cooper's work that is the reason why treadmills, elliptical machines, and the like have those little charts on the side, telling you what heart range you should strive for, depending on your age. They are based on the calculation shown above.

But it has been observed that a lot of people who follow this regimen STILL have heart disease and occasionally die from it, pretty much to the same extent as if they did nothing.

A Dr. Barry Sears observes that we humans evolved to exercise differently. He points out that our primitive human and humanoid ancestors did not do any long-distance running, but only ran occasionally when (1) pursuing prey, or (2) avoiding a predator, and in those cases they ran as fast as they could for a short period of time. So he recommends "interval training," which is short bursts of intense activity, with rest periods in between. In concept, this might be done on a quarter-mile oval - sprinting the straight sections and walking the curves. According to Dr, Sears, four or five such sprints is plenty, and a complete workout for heart and lungs can be accomplished in about 12 minutes.

Dr. Cooper subsequently acknowledged that his original prescription was not the best and that some interval or hill training was necessary to optimize heart and lung efficiency.

On the other hand, it has been observed that exercise at BELOW the "aerobic level" - for example walking - is actually better for calorie burning and weight loss ("fat burning") than running, which basically burns only sugar and carbs. But walking for weight loss takes more time than running or doing intervals, which is a consideration for most people.

Is it possible that weight training (or calisthenics) alone can condition the heart and lungs, when considering, say, a one-hour workout 3 or 4 times a week? My own experience is that my heart is seldom elevated during wright training, even when I'm pushing myself to the maximum.

Parenthetically, I will also observe that neither aerobic nor interval training do anything to improve strength or musculature - even in the legs. Candidly speaking, most distance runners look like shit, physique-wise.

Any other thoughts?

Weight training is essential for tone, load bearing, balance, and stamina.

Long walking is absolutely necessary for cardio and respiration.

The two working together can produce a longer, healthier life span.

Look into circuit training if you want to get your heart rate up while using weights and machines. Done right, your heart rate will soar in very little time and stay up there until you are finished with the workout.

I mix it up. It keeps my body challenged and my mind for getting bored doing the same workouts all the time. For example, for cardio: one day 30 minutes on the elliptical, next day interval, skip a day, next day 30 minute rowing or skiing, next day 60 minutes on the bike, next day a recorded workout. I used to do more cardio using old school aerobic and step workout videos but now that I'm older my joints object if I do them too often.

For weight lifting- for a few weeks: all exercises to failure, a few weeks: light weights high reps, a few weeks: heavy weight low reps, some weeks are a whatever I'm in the mood to do.

My flexibility is not what it used to be so I must do more stretching than I used to, which adds time to workouts. It's worth it though.

The theory that man's exercise needs evolve is interesting. It's still a theory. It seems to me that it makes the most sense to determine for yourself what exercise is best for you. If you've been working out for many years, you know your body and can make adjustments.

As for fit people dying of heart disease, let's face it. Sometimes, you lose the genetic lottery.

Forum List

Back