Computer Geeks Please 'Splain!

That statement alone shows how much you do not know about operating systems, or what an operating system even is. Nice Googling. :doubt:
Well, here is my instruction (English) on how to install Red Star OS 2.0 (Korean):
Great Desktop Background

Nordkoreanisches Betriebssystem auf Linuxbasis: Red Star OS 2.0

Download links are probably broken due to download-depended file-storage.

I took this screenshot:
mycomputer.jpg

That statement alone shows how much you do not know about operating systems, or what an operating system even is. Nice Googling. :doubt:
Well, here is my instruction (English) on how to install Red Star OS 2.0 (Korean):

And...?
Your statement "it didn't run my programs" is Mr. Obvious for someone who knows nothing about an operating system. Of course Linux doesn't natively run windows programs because..well gosh...it isn't windows.

So, I am a Mac user who , due to Corporate Standards, uses a PC at work. Last Thursday, I had to do "8 Urgent Updates". And today I had to do "4 Urgent Updates".

Why do PCs need so many Frelling Urgent Updates. Many of these Every Frelling Week.

What is wrong with Windows that this obscenely time-wasting amount of updating is necessary?

As others have said, it's due to the constant attacks by hackers because of the overwhelming market share of Windows.

Here's a good article on the subject.

In their words: Experts weigh in on Mac vs. PC security | InSecurity Complex - CNET News

This article correctly highlights an issue with Mac security:

There's no shortage of security researchers who criticise Apple's response to the recent Flashback trojan malware outbreak.

Flashback's success, compared with previous Mac malware, happened in part because it exploited a flaw in Oracle's Java software, allowing it to silently install on the victim's system.

It was a mass, automated attack of the kind that has threatened Windows users for years: a drive-by download where infections occur merely by visiting an infected website.

Flashback netted some 700,000 Macs worldwide, according to several security companies monitoring infections.

Other reasons for the unprecedented infection is that Apple has wrongly convinced people Macs don't need antivirus, and its Java security update came 50 days after Oracle had fixed it.

Windows versus Mac: which is more secure?

And...?
Your statement "it didn't run my programs" is Mr. Obvious for someone who knows nothing about an operating system. Of course Linux doesn't natively run windows programs because..well gosh...it isn't windows.
This is why I wrote (what was clear). My point is to illustrate, that it is not an advantage to start at zero.

Yes, we all know, Linux is so much better. This is also why almost everyone uses Windows, though Linux is free.

Almost everyone uses Windows because of Microsoft's early marketing strategy and consumers who know nothing else and/or want to know nothing else. Such is the fact of consumerism and successful marketing.
Not saying Windows doesn't have it pluses or that Linux doesn't have it's negatives, I use both for different reasons.
I dislike Linux mostly because of some of its users. They say, Windows is dirt and for noobs and worship their Ubuntu, which really is for noobs and does not provide any advantage compared to Windows.
Of course. For fun I installed some editions. Ubuntu, Red Star OS, Puppy Linux, but neither did my programs and games run with Ubuntu (what was clear) nor my UMTS device. I am not able to get online with Linux, Windows and MAC OS are supported.

I prefer Mint, no Unity interface. As more programs/games are being written for Linux the closer I get to dropping Windows altogether but that's just me, I'm not your typical consumer. :dunno:

So, I am a Mac user who , due to Corporate Standards, uses a PC at work. Last Thursday, I had to do "8 Urgent Updates". And today I had to do "4 Urgent Updates".

Why do PCs need so many Frelling Urgent Updates. Many of these Every Frelling Week.

What is wrong with Windows that this obscenely time-wasting amount of updating is necessary?

As others have said, it's due to the constant attacks by hackers because of the overwhelming market share of Windows.

Here's a good article on the subject.

In their words: Experts weigh in on Mac vs. PC security | InSecurity Complex - CNET News
The frequency of attacks is not the only factor. Microsoft is always busy to fix any security risks.

I prefer Mint, no Unity interface. As more programs/games are being written for Linux the closer I get to dropping Windows altogether but that's just me, I'm not your typical consumer. :dunno:
Mint is very popular nowadays. But I fear, Linux will never be a gaming platform. I don´t know, how serious Valve was, when they talked about a Linux-based Steam variant (they were angry over Microsoft´s integrated market in Win8), but it is clear that the gaming industry would have to push Linux. Its current market share does not justify the extra work to port games to the Linux platform.
But there are good news for the Personal Computer.
And hey, did you now the age of the average gamer is 37?
PC gaming vs. consoles, the infographic | ExtremeTech

Last edited:

Because no one who actually needs to get anything done uses Macs. Thus there are not 100 viruses a minute being created to attack them.

I'm on Ubuntu right now and they too have lots of updates. Aside from application bugs it's those pesky users who cause the many updates. Every hacker spends all their days looking for holes and other fun - fun in their mind. Considering the amazing number of programs Windows supports we should be happy it works at all. I am fascinated by the number of programs Google now provides through Chrome. Some of the photo software is great stuff. Picasa and Picmonkey are excellent tools.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon

Linux vs. Windows....in my opinion.

Gaming....not even a discussion, Windows is by far the choice of OS if gaming is a part of your PC usage.
Serfing the net....Linux. Why? Security and impervious to nearly all viruses and spyware. Surfing the net is relatively risk-free on Linux while almost every Windows PC in America is infected with multiple spyware applications.
Business use.....still Windows, but to a lesser degree each year as many business systems are now browser based and works on any OS platform. I will say within 5 years there will be little advantage in having Windows in a business setting unless your company runs a MS platform.
Video viewing/manipulation/producing.....Linux by faaaaar. There is a reason that all of the major CGI production companies use Linux cluster servers and Linux programs for making video. The cost of using MS is 10 times that of Linux and the superior stability of custom Linux OS's eliminates the nightmare of a system crashing under heavy load in the middle of making the film.
Website hosting/application hosting....not even a discussion, Linux. Security/Apache/free software makes Linux the overwhelming choice of internet websites. (inlcuding USMB)

Mint is very popular nowadays. But I fear, Linux will never be a gaming platform. I don´t know, how serious Valve was, when they talked about a Linux-based Steam variant (they were angry over Microsoft´s integrated market in Win8), but it is clear that the gaming industry would have to push Linux. Its current market share does not justify the extra work to port games to the Linux platform.
But there are good news for the Personal Computer.
And hey, did you now the age of the average gamer is 37?
PC gaming vs. consoles, the infographic | ExtremeTech

The issue with game producers and Linux is the open source platform, the computer game industry wants to protect it's product, for obvious reasons. The Linux fanatics want everything on Linux to be open source and will crack the games and make them freely available if they can.
Steam for Linux is already available so it's a viable workaround for Linux users and as Linux becomes ever more increasingly user friendly more average consumers will start using it and the fanatics will ultimately become the minority.

Linux vs. Windows....in my opinion.

Gaming....not even a discussion, Windows is by far the choice of OS if gaming is a part of your PC usage.
Serfing the net....Linux. Why? Security and impervious to nearly all viruses and spyware. Surfing the net is relatively risk-free on Linux while almost every Windows PC in America is infected with multiple spyware applications.
Business use.....still Windows, but to a lesser degree each year as many business systems are now browser based and works on any OS platform. I will say within 5 years there will be little advantage in having Windows in a business setting unless your company runs a MS platform.
Video viewing/manipulation/producing.....Linux by faaaaar. There is a reason that all of the major CGI production companies use Linux cluster servers and Linux programs for making video. The cost of using MS is 10 times that of Linux and the superior stability of custom Linux OS's eliminates the nightmare of a system crashing under heavy load in the middle of making the film.
Website hosting/application hosting....not even a discussion, Linux. Security/Apache/free software makes Linux the overwhelming choice of internet websites. (inlcuding USMB)
Good post!

I make two exceptions:
1. Internet:
It´s the webpages, you are watched by.
Here, six tools watch at you:
1. Google Adsense
2. Google AJAX Search API
3. Google Analytics
4. Google Custom Search Engine
5. Nativo
6. SkimLinks

There are hundreds of these trackers. Facebook Like icons for example: You do not even have to use them, Facebook creates a log of the webpages you have visited. Tools like Ghostery deactivate such trackers.

2. Video Watching
Windows comes with the Windows Media Player, a tool that natively plays various audio- and video formats and can rip any Music CD to mp3 or wmv.
And there are good programs like the KM Player, that can optimize the playback in sheer countless ways.
1r9l.jpg

Last edited:
The issue with game producers and Linux is the open source platform, the computer game industry wants to protect it's product, for obvious reasons. The Linux fanatics want everything on Linux to be open source and will crack the games and make them freely available if they can.
Steam for Linux is already available so it's a viable workaround for Linux users and as Linux becomes ever more increasingly user friendly more average consumers will start using it and the fanatics will ultimately become the minority.
We have that with Windows, too. Steam, like Origin, is not a good copy protection. Like in the old days, you copy and paste the crack and you can run the game - and that portable.
Linux has to many distributions, can you run Steam and the games offered by this version on any distribution? I don´t think so. In my opinion, it´s good that the PC has a universal platform (Windows). Otherwise we probably would need several devices and operating systems to get the functionality of the PC we have now.

We have that with Windows, too. Steam, like Origin, is not a good copy protection. Like in the old days, you copy and paste the crack and you can run the game - and that portable.
Linux has to many distributions, can you run Steam and the games offered by this version on any distribution? I don´t think so. In my opinion, it´s good that the PC has a universal platform (Windows). Otherwise we probably would need several devices and operating systems to get the functionality of the PC we have now.
Don't really know how Steam works but pretty sure most, if not all of the primary distros will work...... they have the same kernel.

Forum List

Back