Complete opt-out of the rep system?

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Wonky Pundit, Dec 30, 2012.

1. MHunterB

MHunterB Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    ".....also, those of us not in the system do have as much of a right, probably even more of a right having experienced both sides, to comment on it as those still involved. we opted out of the cliquish narture of that system. we did not opt off the message board."

And some pigs are more equal than others, got it.

2. Connery

Connery BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,271
    I do not know if I will ever "opt out" of the rep system as it is part of the fabric of belonging to USMB, in my experience. I come here for fun and the "rep" system is an aspect of that fun. If I start taking a virtual reputation too seriously then I should reflect on my real life and see if that needs attending to.

Nevertheless, it is a fun thing to receive some positive recognition on a post may have been funny or enriched the sender of the positive rep in some way.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. kwc57

kwc57 BOHICA Obama

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,417
  4. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,234
  5. sealadaigh

sealadaigh BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i am not leaping to wild conclusions about why people do or do not stay in the rep system or anything of the kind. i will say this, your claim that people opt out so they can be cruelo to other posters is patently ridiculous. i have always tried to be polite, but within limits certainly. most of my posts are and i generally do not initiate personal attacks.

some of the most contentious and cruel posters do quite well within the rep system. that in itself casts serious doubt on your "theory".

yes, i bring your name up. it seems more honest than talking around it and making reference to "some poster(s).

all i ever really said about you was you did not impress me as the kind of person who would remain silent when another person was attacked because of their religious beliefs. i was wrong. it is no big deal.

6. sealadaigh

sealadaigh BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    it seems like you fail to recollect that those who have opted out are the ones being told they have no right to comment. i wasn't talking about "equality", i was speaking about experience. those who have opted out, for whatever real or imagined reasons, have seen it from both sides.

7. sealadaigh

sealadaigh BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i won't be offended if you choose not to respond to me.

there is a distinct advantage, at times, of having that bully pulpit.

8. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,234
    Hope you won't be offended by being on my ignore list. The whining is really more than I want to deal with.

9. Wolfsister77

Wolfsister77 Knowledge Is Power Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,701
    You spend entirely too much time talking about me and what you think you know about me. I don't take well to this as you've seen. Let it go.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. MHunterB

MHunterB Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,775
    The quote is yours, and accurately reproduced.
    If you feel the impression I got was in error, then you need to explain the idea of 'more of a right' in some way which does not involve inequality.

I didn't see where anyone told 'those who have opted out' that 'none of you has a right to comment': it seems to me that you're interpreting others' words and doing so incorrectly. So, no I haven't 'failed to recollect'.