Compared to other groups, conservatives have least confidence in science

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by rdean, Mar 30, 2012.

1. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,051
    Compared to other groups, conservatives have least confidence in science

Examining other demographic trends, Gauchat noted that the only other group to see a significant decline over time is regular churchgoers. Crunching the data, he states, indicates that "The growing force of the religious right in the conservative movement is a chief factor contributing to conservatives’ distrust in science." This decline in trust occurred even among those who had college or graduate degrees, despite the fact that advanced education typically correlated with enhanced trust in science.

Study: Conservatives' Trust of Science Hits All Time Low - US News and World Report

Just 35 percent of conservatives said they had a "great deal of trust in science" in 2010, a 28 percent decline since 1974, when 48 percent of conservatives—about the same percentage as liberals—trusted science.

Science has been dependent on the government for funding since World War II. Does that arrangement change if we're electing more conservative politicians?"

Conservatives' trust in science has declined sharply - latimes.com

Chris Mooney, who wrote "The Republican War on Science," which Gauchat cites, agreed. "If you think of the reasons behind this as nature versus nurture, all this would be nurture, that it was the product of the conservative movement," he said. "I think being educated is a proxy for people paying attention to politics, and when they do, they tune in to Fox News and blogs."

-----------------------------

Come on. Is it any wonder? I would like some of these conservatives to post links proving the opposite, but they can't and won't. There is a Republican "War on Science". It's real. It exists.

6% baby, 6%

2. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,051
  3. techieny

techieny Conservative Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +586
    that is the most absurd argument to date. Have you tried knitting ?

4. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Have you considered that Conservatives lost trust in science due to climategate and what they see as an attempt to destroy the economy in the name of the pseudoscience of AGW?
    Or are you just stupid?
    Sorry, forgot who I was talking to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    As there are constant developments, perhaps conservatives are aware of changes, thus disregard standard beliefs?*

*Trying to make sense of this thread is difficult................................

6. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Typical of Dweebs rantings.

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,421
    So here we are, a meteorologist stating what he sees. And stating how out of touch with real science so many of his fellow Republicans are.

Paul Douglas: A Message From a Republican Meteorologist on Climate Change

"My climate epiphany wasn't overnight, and it had nothing to do with Al Gore."

I'm going to tell you something that my Republican friends are loath to admit out loud: climate change is real. I'm a moderate Republican, fiscally conservative; a fan of small government, accountability, self-empowerment and sound science. I am not a climate scientist. I'm a Penn State meteorologist, and the weather maps I'm staring at are making me very uncomfortable. No, you're not imagining it: we've clicked into a new and almost foreign weather pattern. To complicate matters I'm in a small, frustrated and endangered minority: a Republican deeply concerned about the environmental sacrifices some are asking us to make to keep our economy powered-up. It's ironic. The root of the word conservative is "conserve". A staunch Republican, Teddy Roosevelt, set aside vast swaths of America for our National Parks System, the envy of the world. Another Republican, Richard Nixon, launched the EPA. Now some in my party believe the EPA and all those silly "global warming alarmists" are going to get in the way of drilling and mining our way to prosperity. Well, we have good reason to be alarmed.

8. Political Junky

Political Junky Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,543
    Just one more instance of how much the GOP has changed...pity.

9. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Have you by any chance considered the idea that it is not science that conservatives distrust but rather the psuedo-scientist we have today that people don't trust?

It seems pretty clear to me that the scientists that have been in the news lately have been bought by politicians like Al Gore. Why should I trust them?

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,258
    Presidents like Carter and Obama both gutted the hell out of Nasa. After a dozen plus times on the moon we haven't been back in 40 fucking years...Tell me what you have to do to be anti-science? Republicans support space exploration and science. Democrats support turning this country into a third world shit hole.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1