Company hikes price 5,000% for drug that fights complication of AIDS, cancer

For the record this kind of price increase is as close to being criminal as you can get imo. I don't buy the R&D excuse for one second.
How is it illegal to sell your property at whatever price you choose?
Reread my post
Oh... so you agree that selling your property at whatever price you choose is, in fact, legal.
I never said otherwise. You seem a bit slow today

Disgusting..
A drug treating a common parasite that attacks people with weakened immune systems increased in cost 5,000% to $750 per pill.

At a time of heightened attention to the rising cost of prescription drugs, doctors who treat patients with AIDS and cancer are denouncing the new cost to treat a condition that can be life-threatening.

Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories. Turing has exclusive rights to market Daraprim (pyrimethamine), on the market since 1953.

Daraprim fights toxoplasmosis, the second most common food-borne disease, which can easily infect people whose immune systems have been weakened by AIDS, chemotherapy or even pregnancy, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

“This is a tremendous increase," said Judith Aberg, a spokesperson for the HIV Medicine Association. Even patients with insurance could have trouble affording the medication, she said. That's because insurance companies often put high-price drugs in the "specialty" category, requiring patients to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year. Patients whose insurance plans require them to pay 20% of the cost — a common practice — would shell out $150 a pill.

About 60 million people in the United States may carry the Toxoplasma parasite, according to the CDC. It comes from eating under-cooked meat, cooking with contaminated knives and boards, drinking unclean water and contact with infected cat feces.

Mothers can also pass it to their children during pregnancy and organ transplant patients can get it through an infected donor. Symptoms can feel flu-like, but the parasite attacks the brain and can lead to blindness or brain damage.
Go start a drug company, spend decades researching and developing medicines, then tell us how you will charge $1.00 per pill.

You are just like the stupid fuckers that decrie oil company profits. :slap:
So you are saying "let him die". Got it!

Go start a drug company, spend decades researching and developing medicines, then tell us how you will charge $1.00 per pill.

Are you fucking kidding me? You cannot justify what this company did.
"Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories. " RESEARCH MY ASS.
Obama has a pen and a phone. What are you worried about? :dunno:
It's noted your posts are pointless insults to our president.
It's a direct quote from your president. :lol:

Hapless, hopeless Liberals never cease to amuse me.
Drug companies doing just want Republicans want them to do. And then bringing up liberals. A small part of the Democratic Party. Weird.

For the record this kind of price increase is as close to being criminal as you can get imo. I don't buy the R&D excuse for one second.
How is it illegal to sell your property at whatever price you choose?
Reread my post
Oh... so you agree that selling your property at whatever price you choose is, in fact, legal.
I never said otherwise. You seem a bit slow today
Just wanted to be clear.

This whole thing smells very fishy.

Drug patents are typically 20 years. This is an old drug. Who in the government is allowing them to continue exclusivity and why?

Our laws are supposed to be set up for the good of the People of the United states
Incorrect - they are set up to protect the rights of the people.
I have the right to set whatever price I want for the sale of my property; the law correctly protect this right.
You, on the other hand, have the right to choose to buy my property at that price, or not; the law correctly protect this right.
Our laws are set up for the Good of the People as specified in the preamble of the Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
"That to secure these rights...
Yes.
My right to pursue happiness - that is, to own property and sell it at whatever price I choose- is protected the law, as intended.
Not sure how any of this is supposed to support an argument to the contrary.

Nice to see, however, someone posting in support of the idea that our rights come from The Creator, and not the state.
'The pursuit of happiness' encompasses more than just the ability to sell and buy property, and there is nothing that says conditions and regulations might not be applied to any such buying and selling. An unregulated market is not a free market, but is a rigged market.

And yes, our rights come from our Creator, not a popular concept these days.

He said he was going to lower the price but made sure he told us that we do not understand how corporations work......I bet a boycott would suffice to give him an idea of how it works..
All of this demonstrates the beauty of the free market.
Not at all sure why some people immediately call for government action in a case like this.
:dunno:

Because it is price gouging.

He said he was going to lower the price but made sure he told us that we do not understand how corporations work......I bet a boycott would suffice to give him an idea of how it works..
Not at all sure why some people immediately call for government action in a case like this.
Not according to the legal definition of price gouging, which consistently relates to profiteering through scarcity caused by a natural disaster.

Our laws are supposed to be set up for the good of the People of the United states
I have the right to set whatever price I want for the sale of my property; the law correctly protect this right.
You, on the other hand, have the right to choose to buy my property at that price, or not; the law correctly protect this right.
Our laws are set up for the Good of the People as specified in the preamble of the Declaration of Independence.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Yes.
My right to pursue happiness - that is, to own property and sell it at whatever price I choose- is protected the law, as intended.

Nice to see, however, someone posting in support of the idea that our rights come from The Creator, and not the state.
'The pursuit of happiness' encompasses more than just the ability to sell and buy property, and there is nothing that says conditions and regulations might not be applied to any such buying and selling. An unregulated market is not a free market, but is a rigged market.
Nothing here negates the fact that my right to pursue happiness - that is, to own property and sell it at whatever price I choose- is protected the law, as intended.

Not according to the legal definition of price gouging, which consistently relates to profiteering through scarcity caused by a natural disaster.
Well in this case it is scarcity via government disaster, as the medicine in question is working under a government imposed monopoly.

Yes.

Nothing here negates the fact that my right to pursue happiness - that is, to own property and sell it at whatever price I choose- is protected the law, as intended.
Yes, it is, within reasonable bounds.

You do not have the right, for example, to sell your own body parts. You do not have the right to sell unregulated drugs at public schools, etc.

This isn't all that hard to grasp, right?

Well in this case it is scarcity via government disaster, as the medicine in question is working under a government imposed monopoly.
Nice try, but.... no.

Yes.

You do not have the right, for example, to sell your own body parts. You do not have the right to sell unregulated drugs at public schools, etc.
Now, lets compare apples to apples...
i do have the right to sell the book I wrote at whatever price I want,
I do have the right to sell the furniture I built at whatever price I want.
I do have the right to sell the i-phone app I wrote at whatever price I want.
I do have the right to sell the house I bought at whatever price i want.
I do have the right to sell the car I restored at whatever price i want,

"Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories. " RESEARCH MY ASS.
Obama has a pen and a phone. What are you worried about? :dunno:
It's noted your posts are pointless insults to our president.
It's a direct quote from your president. :lol:

Hapless, hopeless Liberals never cease to amuse me.
Drug companies doing just want Republicans want them to do. And then bringing up liberals. A small part of the Democratic Party. Weird.

Drug companies will hide behind Government patent protections and blocking competion at home and abroad

But don't want the Government telling them what they can charge

Disgusting..
A drug treating a common parasite that attacks people with weakened immune systems increased in cost 5,000% to $750 per pill.

At a time of heightened attention to the rising cost of prescription drugs, doctors who treat patients with AIDS and cancer are denouncing the new cost to treat a condition that can be life-threatening.

Turing Pharmaceuticals of New York raised the price of Daraprim from $13.50 per pill to $750 per pill last month, shortly after purchasing the rights to the drug from Impax Laboratories. Turing has exclusive rights to market Daraprim (pyrimethamine), on the market since 1953.

Daraprim fights toxoplasmosis, the second most common food-borne disease, which can easily infect people whose immune systems have been weakened by AIDS, chemotherapy or even pregnancy, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

“This is a tremendous increase," said Judith Aberg, a spokesperson for the HIV Medicine Association. Even patients with insurance could have trouble affording the medication, she said. That's because insurance companies often put high-price drugs in the "specialty" category, requiring patients to pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year. Patients whose insurance plans require them to pay 20% of the cost — a common practice — would shell out $150 a pill.

About 60 million people in the United States may carry the Toxoplasma parasite, according to the CDC. It comes from eating under-cooked meat, cooking with contaminated knives and boards, drinking unclean water and contact with infected cat feces.

Mothers can also pass it to their children during pregnancy and organ transplant patients can get it through an infected donor. Symptoms can feel flu-like, but the parasite attacks the brain and can lead to blindness or brain damage.

But Obamacare fixed everything.

Nice try, but.... no.
As I understand it it is a monopoly drug. What do you mean 'no?'

Yes.

Now, lets compare apples to apples...
i do have the right to sell the book I wrote at whatever price I want,
I do have the right to sell the furniture I built at whatever price I want.
I do have the right to sell the i-phone app I wrote at whatever price I want.
I do have the right to sell the house I bought at whatever price i want.
I do have the right to sell the car I restored at whatever price i want,
If you were the only allowed maker of a critically needed drug and you decided to hike the price of that drug 5000%, you are engaging in price gouging which is an abuse of a monopoly position in the market.

This isn't that hard to grasp dude. If you cant see the point then you are in serious need of some counseling.

Forum List

Back