Company giving away my belongings

On March 18th at about 9pm I was walking my company trailer drop yard with my dog to try to find the trailer I would be hauling out the next morning. I got about 150 feet from my truck and my dog started to poop. I didn't want her pooping in front of the row of trailers where drivers walk so I ran to the back of the trailer row against the fence. It was there that I encountered said negro with his gun who demanded my money. I told him I had none and he patted me down. Then I guess he got pissed that he wasted his time and started shooting me, point blank. I was shot 6 times most likely with a 9mm.

Aren't you proud you support gun rights?

Aren't you proud you support gun rights?

I sure am. He was a convicted felon, he shouldn't have even had a gun. He violated about 7 laws that I'm aware of.

Even being shot by a random drug addicted felon negro I don't support removing the gun rights of the law abiding. Because this guy was not law abiding and still had his gun. So if anything, he proves all these gun laws don't stop criminals from getting or using guns.

I sure am. He was a convicted felon, he shouldn't have even had a gun. He violated about 7 laws that I'm aware of.

Even being shot by a random drug addicted felon negro I don't support removing the gun rights of the law abiding. Because this guy was not law abiding and still had his gun. So if anything, he proves all these gun laws don't stop criminals from getting or using guns.

Uh, you realize that when you make it easy for everyone to get guns, everyone gets guns, right?

I wanted to get other people's opinions on this.

As you may know, I was shot 6 times while looking for a trailer on company property back in March. I was immediately rushed to the ER and they managed to save my life. However, I had a brand new truck FULL of my belongings that stayed at the company yard. My dad told the company that I needed a few things out of the truck before we headed back home. They met him at the truck and let him gather a few things and then he left. Upon leaving they told my dad "Don't worry about the rest of his stuff, it will be here when he gets back. The truck isn't going anywhere."

Fast forward to July 19th. I get a call from one of my dispatchers asking how I'm doing and when I'll return. After a while I tell her "Hold onto my truck, I'll be returning as soon as I can!" and she then proceeds to tell me they gave my truck to another driver. Hmm, ok that's not what they told me but it is their truck, so I'm not really that upset about that. My immediate question is "Where is my stuff?" The lady promised my stuff was taken out and cared for. I know these people and I know better than that. It takes me half a day to get everything out of my truck. I know they didn't spend that much time unloading it. Sure enough, I was right.

I call the next morning mad as hell that they did this without letting me know. I ask where my stuff is and they tell me its in a breakroom of one of our buildings. They said they got everything. I said "Oh really, so you disconnected my TV and took it off the mount I made?" They said no, they left my TV in the truck when they gave it to the next driver and said they would replace it when I came back. Ok, so they gave away my TV. I asked "What about my custom gel steering wheel cover?" I had a 60 dollar custom memory gel wheel cover installed. They said "No, we didn't see that." Ok, so you didn't get that either.

So come to find out, they decided because they didn't feel like disconnecting my TV to just give it to the next driver. Needless to say, I was pissed. They NEVER told me they wanted to use the truck and ask if I could have someone come and empty it. I only found out because of the casual chat I had with one of the dispatchers back in July. I then demanded that they replace my items immediately. THEY THEN DECIDED TO PUT STIPULATIONS ON RETURNING MY STUFF. They told me "You will get your stuff when you return." I said bullshit, you gave my stuff away. I want it back now. They said no. Well at the time I was fighting physical therapy and occupational therapy and trying to get into trauma therapy so I didn't have much time to deal with this. So I went quiet until the 3rd week of October.

I then emailed them and told them I would be returning to work the 3rd week of November. They immediately replied "We already told you, your stuff would be returned when you return." I told them NO, I TOLD YOU WHEN I WOULD BE RETURNING. Give me back my stuff or further legal action will be taken. Within 2 minutes I get an email back saying they would be re-purchasing me replacement items for the things they stole. (my words, not theirs. they refuse to call the items that they gave away "stolen")

They told me that "When we replace the TV it will be newer and better than yours so you should be happy." The problem is, that's not what happened. They gave away a full HD 1080p TV with 3 HDMI inputs. They bought me a 720p with 2. I immediately emailed them and stated I would be exchanging this TV for the correct one. Now, I have to deal with driving 50 miles round trip to get the actual TV they stole back, or one with comparable specs.

People on other forums are telling me that the trucking company has no obligation to take care of my stuff while I'm gone. And my argument is, I was shot on their property, yes they do. They must, at the very least, give me a chance to come empty my truck before they issue it to another driver. They cannot just take it upon themselves to "give away my stuff" and then when THEY choose to, replace it. They have no idea if that TV had sentimental value, like my deceased grandfather who died in 2017 giving it to me before he died and asking me to use it in my truck. My grandpa did die in 2017, but he didn't gift me a TV. But THEY DON'T KNOW THAT. All they see is a 32" TV. But it's MY FUCKING TELEVISION.

And since I haven't returned to work yet, I have no idea what else is missing. I had a CB in that truck that was over 200 dollars with a 100 dollar amp connected to it. I doubt seriously they took that out because that would take a while, it was soldered into the truck wiring for a clean installation look. I know with a landlord/tenant situation with an apartment or rent house, if the tenant leaves they must be notified to come get their stuff and then given like 30 days to do so. If the landlord just "puts their stuff at the curb" they can be held financially liable for the value of the missing/damaged/stolen items. Why are people saying that my company can just do what they want with my stuff? I WAS SHOT ON THEIR YARD because of THEIR LACK OF SECURITY. This whole situation IS NOT MY FAULT. It's not like I quit my job and left my truck and belongings for them to deal with. I was hauled off the property in an ambulance with lights and sirens blaring. This was not my choice.

How can a company justify this behavior? Not only did they do it, when I called to complain, other big wigs DEFENDED the behavior!! I was blown away!!
Well, they made copies of it all and gave it to Biden's personal attorney. That is what any reasonable business owner would do with stuff left over and unclaimed, right?

Theft is criminal, not civil.

Theft is criminal IF ... the party taking the property cannot reasonably believe they have the right to the property AND they had demonstrated they never intend to return it.

Theft of a motor vehicle doesn't need to prove intent to keep the property, the mere act of taking a vehicle without permission constitutes theft, but theft from a motor vehicle does.

Of course, the strict definition may vary from state to state, but the basic principles remain the same.

Theft is criminal IF ... the party taking the property cannot reasonably believe they have the right to the property AND they had demonstrated they never intend to return it.

Both of these were satisfied, assuming you're right. They absolutely have no reason to think that they had a right to my property and they never intended to return it.

How can a company justify this behavior? Not only did they do it, when I called to complain, other big wigs DEFENDED the behavior!! I was blown away!!
You're not assuming that they actually give a shit about you or your stuff, are you?

Let me float the idea that you consult an attorney instead of an internet forum.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, though. I can't imagine that getting shot doesn't suck, let alone getting shot six times...

Forum List

Back