Common Sense Gun Control Proposals

These proposals probably won't be implemented within the next two years, due to the NRA's monetary sway over the current congress. As we move forward towards a saner society, though, this should be the loosest standards for gun laws in the country:

I only read the replies on the first page, but apparently no one has corrected your idiocy. Let me be the first.

1. ---- Rifles cannot be automatic, and must not have any military features such as a pistol grip, a vertical grip, buffer tube, barrel shroud, holosight, detachable magazine, etc. No high powered ammo such as any bullets used by the military should be allowed. Also, clips must only come in five bullets or less.
---- You don't need more than five bullets to shoot a deer. You don't need anti-tank ammo to shoot a deer. Could somebody please tell me why .22 caliber doesn't work for hunting?
---- Trying to overthrow a tyrannical government? You are paranoid and should have your guns confiscated.

The characteristics you listed do nothing to make the rifle more lethal. That concerns the bullet coming out of the barrel. A barrel shroud does not make a gun more lethal. Nor does a holographic sight. But then, with the question you asked about the .22, it is obviously you actually know very little about firearms. Most hunting rounds were used by the military at one time, or are slightly modified versions of military rounds. Banning that is ridiculous.

A .22 (I am guessing you mean a .22 Long Rifle?) will not work for hunting anything but small game because it lacks the velocity and bullet weight to kill big, or even medium game, in a relaibly humane manner. Yes, there have been examples of all sorts of game taken with a .22, but it is not an acceptable round.

2. Shotguns can only shoot two bullets at a time. They cannot use clips to reload, but must be manually reloaded. Also, no military grade calibers are allowed.
--- Why do you need more than two bullets at a time to kill a deer?
--- Trying to overthrow the government? You are paranoid and should lose your gun privileges forever.

If you are discussing shotguns, it shoots shells not bullets. Once again, your knowledge of the topic is shown to be lacking.

Many times duck hunters shoot more than twice, and turkey hunters certainly do. As for trying to overthrow the gov't, you would already loose your gun owning rights. It is called a felony conviction. But that is for actually trying it. Being prepared to stop the gov't from overstepping its bounds is a different matter.

3. A ban on handguns for anybody besides for security guards, police, and military. Also, a complete ban on carrying guns outside the home, unless hunting or at the range.
--- A handgun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill you than a criminal, according to Arthur Kellermann.
--- Trying to be a big man and save the world with your gun while out shopping? You are paranoid and should not be able to own guns.

Since the mid 1990s, most states have gone from a No-Issue or May Issue situation to a Shall Issue one, meaning the state Shal issue a concealed carry permit unless they have a valid reason not to do so. Florida alone has issued over 2 million licenses. The violent crime rate has not gone up, nor has the murder rate. So your attempt at a correlation between handguns/concealed carry and murders is wrong.

I and many like me hunt with handguns.

The claim that a handgun is 43 times more likely to kill someone in the home than a criminal (note-someone in the home, not "you", if you are quoting debunked nonsense, at least be accurate) has be disproved and debunked. It relies on faulty data and completely ignores any use of a firearm that does not result in a death. In other words, if someone holds the criminal at gun point for the police this would not be counted.

4. A mandatory background check, and one month waiting purchase for all gun purchases.
--- It will be a lot harder for the black market to function if illegal buyers are eliminated through background checks and have to wait a month before getting their guns. No more buying a gun out of the trunk of a car in a dark alley.

Have we stopped the illegal importation of drugs? But you someone think we could stop the importation of something that coule be used and then resold? No. The criminals will have guns. To claim otherwise is either ignorance or a lie. I'll let you choose.

5. Nobody under the age of 21 is allowed to handle a firearm. No if, and's, or buts about it. Not while hunting, not while at the range, nothing. Only exceptions are for military recruits.

I will raise my children the way I see fit. My kids all learned to shoot around the age of 10 or 12. It was a controlled situation and they were taught the safety rules first, but they were taught. Only one of my kids wanted to hunt. But for you to try and dismiss that age old tradition because you are afraid and want to appear to be concerned about children is simply not going to fly.

6. A proper interpretation of the second amendment, which talks clearly about well regulated militias, aka the national guard, not any random Joe off the street. And don't give the that bs about the Heller decision. That was an awful decision, like plessy v. ferguson or dredd scott, which can, must, and will be repealed.

An armed population was what the founding fathers had in mind for their militias. A population that could defend itself from both threats from outside and inside our nation. That you dislike the ruling does not make it less solid.

I prefer revolvers...but I would guess extractor marks would also change as parts wear.
Why do you prefer revolvers? We have a S&W 9mm and a Taurus 9mm, both clip loaded. Plus a couple of shotguns.
Partly its a romance thing. Partly its a simplicity thing. I carried wheel guns for years and then drank the Glock kool aid. Still carry a Smith airweight in the pocket everywhere I go though.

There are practical reasons as well. Revolvers can be had in heavier calibers without breaking the bank. They are far more reliable. If there is an ammunition failure, you simply pull the trigger again. And they allow the use of specialty ammo, such as shotshells. Plus, the average revolver is more accurate than a semi-auto and at greater ranges.

One thing that the OP seems to be missing, and that is that guns used for murders are a relatively rare thing, when you consider how many guns and gun owners there are.

There are roughly 65 million legal gun owners and 300 million legally owned guns. The majority of the gun murders (between 8k and 9k annually) are by people who cannot legally own a gun. Even if (and they are not) the murders were committed by legal gun owners, it would only constitute 0.013% of the gun owners.

The problem is not the guns. It is the criminals.

5. Nobody under the age of 21 is allowed to handle a firearm. No if, and's, or buts about it. Not while hunting, not while at the range, nothing. Only exceptions are for military recruits.

Interesting. But I like my idea better. No men under the age of 30 should be allowed to own/buy a gun. Shooting with a person older that 30 is ok. Hunting with a person older than 30 is ok. But until they are over 30, no ownership of guns.

Caught with a gun, go directly to jail till they turn 30. Use a gun to commit a crime while under 30, go to jail for a longer time. Murder someone with a gun, forfeit your life.

Ever notice all the mass killing and most of the domestic violence shootings are young men under 30. Also a great many of the kids who find Dads gun and shoots themselves or someone else, those kids have Dads under the age of 30.

So by keeping guns from men till they are past the age of 30, you get a decrease in mass killings, a decrease in kids deaths and a decrease in domestic violence shootings.

And what did it cost the young men to not have guns till they were past 30? Not a fucking thing.

The majority of the gun murders (between 8k and 9k annually) are by people who cannot legally own a gun.

How about the accidental death of kids? Domestic violence? Do those shooting happen because the people who had the guns were criminals and couldn't legally own a gun? No is the answer.

How about those mass killing shooters. Were those shooters criminals BEFORE they started killing people? No is the answer.

But if you specifically look at people who murder other people, I guess you can find the numbers you are looking for.

The majority of the gun murders (between 8k and 9k annually) are by people who cannot legally own a gun.

How about the accidental death of kids? Domestic violence? Do those shooting happen because the people who had the guns were criminals and couldn't legally own a gun? No is the answer.

How about those mass killing shooters. Were those shooters criminals BEFORE they started killing people? No is the answer.

But if you specifically look at people who murder other people, I guess you can find the numbers you are looking for.

There are under 100 kids killed a year in accidental deaths...out of a country of over 310 million people.....mass shooters get their guns because they want to kill, they have murdered to get their guns, they get their guns illegally.....funny thing is....they go to places where law abiding citizens can't carry guns......

Over 7,000 children are hospitalized or killed due to gun violence every year, according to a new studypublished in the medical journal Pediatrics. An additional 3,000 children die from gun injuries before making it to the hospital, bringing the total number of injured or killed adolescents to 10,000 each year.

There are under 100 kids killed a year in accidental deaths

Where in the fuck do you come up with your bullshit? Did you prove the 4383 DGU's every day yet? Fuck no. You can't prove it. But you cling to that number don't cha?

Interesting. But I like my idea better. No men under the age of 30 should be allowed to own/buy a gun. Shooting with a person older that 30 is ok. Hunting with a person older than 30 is ok. But until they are over 30, no ownership of guns.

Caught with a gun, go directly to jail till they turn 30. Use a gun to commit a crime while under 30, go to jail for a longer time. Murder someone with a gun, forfeit your life.

Ever notice all the mass killing and most of the domestic violence shootings are young men under 30. Also a great many of the kids who find Dads gun and shoots themselves or someone else, those kids have Dads under the age of 30.

So by keeping guns from men till they are past the age of 30, you get a decrease in mass killings, a decrease in kids deaths and a decrease in domestic violence shootings.

And what did it cost the young men to not have guns till they were past 30? Not a fucking thing.

Apparently you prefer your ideas because they are even dumber than his.

Hey, why not just make being under 30 against the law?

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Over 7,000 children are hospitalized or killed due to gun violence every year, according to a new studypublished in the medical journal Pediatrics. An additional 3,000 children die from gun injuries before making it to the hospital, bringing the total number of injured or killed adolescents to 10,000 each year.

There are under 100 kids killed a year in accidental deaths

Where in the fuck do you come up with your bullshit? Did you prove the 4383 DGU's every day yet? Fuck no. You can't prove it. But you cling to that number don't cha?

By "children" you mean teenage punks who are gang members, right?

These proposals probably won't be implemented within the next two years, due to the NRA's monetary sway over the current congress. As we move forward towards a saner society, though, this should be the loosest standards for gun laws in the country:

1. ---- Rifles cannot be automatic, and must not have any military features such as a pistol grip, a vertical grip, buffer tube, barrel shroud, holosight, detachable magazine, etc. No high powered ammo such as any bullets used by the military should be allowed. Also, clips must only come in five bullets or less.
---- You don't need more than five bullets to shoot a deer. You don't need anti-tank ammo to shoot a deer. Could somebody please tell me why .22 caliber doesn't work for hunting?
---- Trying to overthrow a tyrannical government? You are paranoid and should have your guns confiscated.

2. Shotguns can only shoot two bullets at a time. They cannot use clips to reload, but must be manually reloaded. Also, no military grade calibers are allowed.
--- Trying to overthrow the government? You are paranoid and should lose your gun privileges forever.

3. A ban on handguns for anybody besides for security guards, police, and military. Also, a complete ban on carrying guns outside the home, unless hunting or at the range.
--- A handgun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill you than a criminal, according to Arthur Kellermann.
--- Trying to be a big man and save the world with your gun while out shopping? You are paranoid and should not be able to own guns.

4. A mandatory background check, and one month waiting purchase for all gun purchases.
--- It will be a lot harder for the black market to function if illegal buyers are eliminated through background checks and have to wait a month before getting their guns. No more buying a gun out of the trunk of a car in a dark alley.

6. A proper interpretation of the second amendment, which talks clearly about well regulated militias, aka the national guard, not any random Joe off the street. And don't give the that bs about the Heller decision. That was an awful decision, like plessy v. ferguson or dredd scott, which can, must, and will be repealed.

maybe you should go back and study firearms a little more before you start your preaching

about how bad guns are --LOL

i will give you one example that makes you look like a ignorant fuck wad

2. Shotguns can only shoot two bullets at a time.

--LOL shotguns shoot shells as in shotgun shells

--LOL

you dumb fucks get boring

--LOL

Hey why don't you just type something stupid and nonsensical.
Oh wait. You already did. It's what you always do.

So give it a shot. Tell me what harm would occur if young men couldn't own guns till they are 30.

But stop with the stupid fucking shit you are known for, like;" why not just make being under 30 against the law".

What a stupid fucking comment.

I only read the replies on the first page, but apparently no one has corrected your idiocy. Let me be the first.

The characteristics you listed do nothing to make the rifle more lethal. That concerns the bullet coming out of the barrel. A barrel shroud does not make a gun more lethal. Nor does a holographic sight. But then, with the question you asked about the .22, it is obviously you actually know very little about firearms. Most hunting rounds were used by the military at one time, or are slightly modified versions of military rounds. Banning that is ridiculous.

A .22 (I am guessing you mean a .22 Long Rifle?) will not work for hunting anything but small game because it lacks the velocity and bullet weight to kill big, or even medium game, in a relaibly humane manner. Yes, there have been examples of all sorts of game taken with a .22, but it is not an acceptable round.

If you are discussing shotguns, it shoots shells not bullets. Once again, your knowledge of the topic is shown to be lacking.

Many times duck hunters shoot more than twice, and turkey hunters certainly do. As for trying to overthrow the gov't, you would already loose your gun owning rights. It is called a felony conviction. But that is for actually trying it. Being prepared to stop the gov't from overstepping its bounds is a different matter.

Since the mid 1990s, most states have gone from a No-Issue or May Issue situation to a Shall Issue one, meaning the state Shal issue a concealed carry permit unless they have a valid reason not to do so. Florida alone has issued over 2 million licenses. The violent crime rate has not gone up, nor has the murder rate. So your attempt at a correlation between handguns/concealed carry and murders is wrong.

I and many like me hunt with handguns.

The claim that a handgun is 43 times more likely to kill someone in the home than a criminal (note-someone in the home, not "you", if you are quoting debunked nonsense, at least be accurate) has be disproved and debunked. It relies on faulty data and completely ignores any use of a firearm that does not result in a death. In other words, if someone holds the criminal at gun point for the police this would not be counted.

Have we stopped the illegal importation of drugs? But you someone think we could stop the importation of something that coule be used and then resold? No. The criminals will have guns. To claim otherwise is either ignorance or a lie. I'll let you choose.

I will raise my children the way I see fit. My kids all learned to shoot around the age of 10 or 12. It was a controlled situation and they were taught the safety rules first, but they were taught. Only one of my kids wanted to hunt. But for you to try and dismiss that age old tradition because you are afraid and want to appear to be concerned about children is simply not going to fly.

An armed population was what the founding fathers had in mind for their militias. A population that could defend itself from both threats from outside and inside our nation. That you dislike the ruling does not make it less solid.

thanks for putting the time into it

The Second Amendment was passed in 1791. In 1965, random, senseless gun violence at the University of Texas. Over the next 50 years, we have witnessed more University of Texas-like shootings at fast food restaurants, shopping malls, military bases, workplaces, high schools, colleges. For 174 years prior to University of Texas shootings, how come we see few if any records of similar events of individuals abusing guns? What changed? Was it more guns or a change in culture where deranged killing terrorists feel confident they can kill innocents? Where and how often did that happen in the 174 years prior to 1965? Why such an uptick over the past 50 years?

So all those Winchesters and 45's in the Wild West never killed anyone? There was no shootout at the OK Corral? None of that ever happened?

No you stupid fuck. But I guess that what you mean. Right. Even though the article didn't say "teenage punks who are gang members" somehow that's what you came away with.

But with your reading comprehension problem, I can see why you fucking can't make sense of anything that you read.

One thing that the OP seems to be missing, and that is that guns used for murders are a relatively rare thing, when you consider how many guns and gun owners there are.

There are roughly 65 million legal gun owners and 300 million legally owned guns. The majority of the gun murders (between 8k and 9k annually) are by people who cannot legally own a gun. Even if (and they are not) the murders were committed by legal gun owners, it would only constitute 0.013% of the gun owners.

Actually the problem is that criminals have access to guns.

I don't know where your "ideas" come from but I would not be surprised if they include the proposal that no blacks should be allowed to own buy a gun

According to the BJS non-Hispanic blacks accounted for 54.4% of the prison and jail population in 2009

Hey why don't you just type something stupid and nonsensical.
Oh wait. You already did. It's what you always do.

So give it a shot. Tell me what harm would occur if young men couldn't own guns till they are 30.

But stop with the stupid fucking shit you are known for, like;" why not just make being under 30 against the law".

What a stupid fucking comment.

My comment was just as "intelligent" as your post. That's why I made it.

Accidental deaths of kids can be solved by encouraging good gun safety and secure storage.

The mass killers? Many of them had clean records. But they constitute about 1% of the deaths annually. They just get a lot more media attention.

And since we are talking about gun control and the reasons for it, looking at the people who murder is where we find what we need to know.

But, of course, we can also look at the 99.9% of gun owners who have no murders, accidental shooting deaths or suicides associated with them. Doesn't seem as productive, but we can focus there.

No you stupid fuck. But I guess that what you mean. Right. Even though the article didn't say "teenage punks who are gang members" somehow that's what you came away with.

But with your reading comprehension problem, I can see why you fucking can't make sense of anything that you read.

From your linked article: "About 84 percent of these shootings involved teens aged 15 to 19, and two-thirds of those were related to assaults. While the study's database does not provide specifics, Leventhal said it's natural to assume that gang violence explains some of these gunshot injuries."

"The study found that boys are overwhelmingly more likely to suffer a gunshot wound, with nine of 10 cases involving male patients. Black boys had a gunshot hospitalization rate more than 10 times that of white boys."

Now before you scream racism, be aware that I posted the last quote as support of the first one. It speaks to the issue at hand.

Actually the problem is that criminals have access to guns.

And restricting law abiding citizens access to guns will not change that any more than making drugs illegal made them inaccessible to criminals.

And it is the criminal that makes the gun dangerous.

Forum List

Back