Common Good versus Liberty

One of the best quotes of all time!

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth. This very kindness stings with intolerable insult. To be "cured" against one's will and cured of states which we may not regard as disease is to be put on a level of those who have not yet reached the age of reason or those who never will; to be classed with infants, imbeciles, and domestic animals.”

C.S. Lewis

I'm reminded by this thread of the Credit Crisis.

Was it good that the government mandated that poor people were allowed to purchase bigger mortgages? Wasn't home ownership a "good" thing?

Everyone was happy. Mortgage lenders had more and more business, those in Wall Street used these bad loans to repackage them to sell into securities so complex that not even Warren Buffett could figure them out, government was happy as they pointed to record number of home owners, and people were happier having their own homes. You see, everyone was happy................until the bubble burst.

They say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Should depend on what the majority of a given society wants.

So if the majority of society targets Jews because they are socioeconomically affluent and forced out of countries and persecuted it is OK? Damn those 1%'ers!

You realize that this led to the Holocaust, right?

So if the majority of society targets Jews because they are socioeconomically affluent and forced out of countries and persecuted it is OK? Damn those 1%'ers!

I'm not saying morally it's correct, but, unless you believe in one supreme being who makes the rules, the majority will

Nazi Germany was not democratic. You realize you're a moron, right?

If you wanna know how MY ideal society would be that is different.

well, I guess no one is interested. It might be a bit scary for some, I admit....

Forum List

Back