Common bacteria converts seaweed to ethanol

You may, I suppose, be imagining that you answered me but that was only in your own little private fantasy world. Now try doing it in the real world, "tad...dim".

Please explain exactly why ethanol "could never ever" replace fossil fuels, particularly if it could be made from abundant seaweed, that isn't, BTW, a food source for humans. Some countries have already made a good start. Explain this....
Ethanol fuel in Brazil
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're the moron that skipped high school chemistry.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....Well, Mr Horseshit, I see you're still incapable of answering the question rationally. So typical of you moronic denier cultists to make idiotic statements that you can neither back up with any evidence nor even explain. I guess that's because you're just parroting the moronic lies and propaganda you scrape off of the fossil fuel industry sponsored denier cult blogs.

In fact, there are no barriers to producing vast quantities of alcohol fuel using these kind of genetically engineered bacteria to convert the sugars in otherwise unusable plant material like seaweed into something that can be fermented into alcohol. There are probably better alternatives like electric vehicles and hydrogen powered vehicles but bio-fuels will also probably continue to be developed and have its place in the new non-carbon emitting world energy economy.

BTW, how long have you been a stooge for the oil companies?

Ummmm, Mr. rational, I hate to point this out to you but you're the one yelling and calling people names. Last time I checked that was considered irrational behavior. Better cut it out or the cops will toss you in a rubber room.

Using our food supply as fuel as the stupidest idea i have ever heard. As for oil, what is more NATURAL than oil? Nothing. We didn't invent it or put it there. It is there in abundance. What good does it do to leave it in the ground? NOTHING. Use it until it is gone, then move on. But, it will never be gone.

Wow, you're even more stupid and clueless than the previous denier cult retards....and that isn't easy....

Are you really incapable of understanding basic English?

The OP talks about using genetically engineered bacteria to convert a previously unusable sugar in seaweed, called alginate, into a form that can be fermented into alcohol. Seaweed, little cretin, not "our food supply".

"what is more NATURAL than oil?" - LOLOLOLOL.....soooo clueless....what does "NATURAL" have to do with this issue? You have no idea what is going on, do you? Nobody cares about "natural", you moron, the issue is that burning fossil fuels has drastically increased the atmospheric CO2 levels by 40% (so far and still rising) which is causing global warming and climate changes.

Using our food supply as fuel as the stupidest idea i have ever heard. As for oil, what is more NATURAL than oil? Nothing. We didn't invent it or put it there. It is there in abundance. What good does it do to leave it in the ground? NOTHING. Use it until it is gone, then move on. But, it will never be gone.

Wow, you're even more stupid and clueless than the previous denier cult retards....and that isn't easy....

Are you really incapable of understanding basic English?

The OP talks about using genetically engineered bacteria to convert a previously unusable sugar in seaweed, called alginate, into a form that can be fermented into alcohol. Seaweed, little cretin, not "our food supply".

"what is more NATURAL than oil?" - LOLOLOLOL.....soooo clueless....what does "NATURAL" have to do with this issue? You have no idea what is going on, do you? Nobody cares about "natural", you moron, the issue is that burning fossil fuels has drastically increased the atmospheric CO2 levels by 40% (so far and still rising) which is causing global warming and climate changes.

None of what you claim has one bit of empirical evidence to support it. You sure do yell and scream and whine a lot for such a "rational" person.

They are only carbon neutral when you ignore the processing of the bio mass to create the fuel. When one looks at just this simple formula everything looks carbon neutral because photosynthesis uss 6CO2 per mole of glucose. Fermentation and combustion create 2CO2 and 4CO2 respectively thus balancing out the photosynthesis. However, it takes fuel to grow and harvest the corn or sugarcane for fermentation, fermentation requires heat so that the reaction can occur (which takes more fuel) thus it turns out that ethanol is nowhere near carbon neutral. Yet another fib profered(sic) upon the people of the world.
Tsk tsk tsk.

I sometimes forget just how stupid you actually are. The process of growing the plants and processing them into bio fuel does require some fuel but not nearly as much as the process produces which means that they can use a small portion of the ethanol in the tractors and to heat the stills and the whole thing remains carbon neutral. A term, BTW, the meaning of which you seem incapable of actually comprehending. They're burning a plant fuel that releases an amount of CO2 into the air when burned that is equal to the amount of CO2 that the plants previously sequestered from the air. The net amount of CO2 in the atmosphere remains the same = "carbon neutral".
Sooooo, it does require fuel but for some magical reason that doesn't count thus you get to mainatin the fiction that ethanol is carbon neutral...that about cover it? Look at the mathematics of what you claim silly person.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....even when it is explained to you in small words, you're incapable of grasping the actual meaning of "carbon neutral". That's really funny but also pretty sad.

I'll give it one more try....

Growing plants take carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and the carbon gets incorporated into sugars. The sugars are fermented into alcohol. The alcohol is burned as fuel and the carbon bonds with oxygen to form CO2 which goes back into the atmosphere. The net amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere stays the same = 'carbon neutral'.

No "magical reasons", walleyedretard, no "that doesn't count" nonsense. You are just too stupid to understand this matter. The energy in the ethanol that is produced is far greater than the energy that is used in the production of the ethanol. The use of some of the alcohol fuel in the production of more alcohol fuel has no effect on the 'carbon neutral' status of the alcohol fuel.

Last edited:
I sometimes forget just how stupid you actually are. The process of growing the plants and processing them into bio fuel does require some fuel but not nearly as much as the process produces which means that they can use a small portion of the ethanol in the tractors and to heat the stills and the whole thing remains carbon neutral. A term, BTW, the meaning of which you seem incapable of actually comprehending. They're burning a plant fuel that releases an amount of CO2 into the air when burned that is equal to the amount of CO2 that the plants previously sequestered from the air. The net amount of CO2 in the atmosphere remains the same = "carbon neutral".
Sooooo, it does require fuel but for some magical reason that doesn't count thus you get to mainatin the fiction that ethanol is carbon neutral...that about cover it? Look at the mathematics of what you claim silly person.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....even when it is explained to you in small words, you're incapable of grasping the actual meaning of "carbon neutral". That's really funny but also pretty sad.

Growing plants take carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere and the carbon gets incorporated into sugars. The sugars are fermented into alcohol. The alcohol is burned as fuel and the carbon bonds with oxygen to form CO2 which goes back into the atmosphere. The net amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere stays the same = 'carbon neutral'.

No "magical reasons", walleyedretard, no "that doesn't count" nonsense. You are just too stupid to understand this matter. The energy in the ethanol that is produced is far greater than the energy that is used in the production of the ethanol. The use of some of the alcohol fuel in the production of more alcohol fuel has no effect on the 'carbon neutral' status of the alcohol fuel.

Ummm, that's because mathematically it is impossible with the technology as it now exists, for the process to be carbon neutral. Not that we should give a crap about CO2. It is an essential gas neccessary for life. Only delusional deniars of well known scientific fact think otherwise.

And if you bothered to pull your head out of your ass (I know, you find that EXTREMELY difficult) you would see I presented you with the actual formula describing what you so laboriously explained.

Last edited:

Ummm, that's because mathematically it is impossible with the technology as it now exists, for the process to be carbon neutral.
I know that is your delusion, retard-boy, but you have yet to explain where you imagine the extra carbon dioxide is coming from.

Not that we should give a crap about CO2. It is an essential gas neccessary(sic) for life. Only delusional deniars(sic) of well known scientific fact think otherwise.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL........that is just too funny, coming from the premier "delusional deniar(sic) of well known scientific facts" and chief retard of the anti-science cult of AGW denial. As everyone with more than half a brain knows, CO2 is a potent greenhouse gas that retains heat inside the Earth's atmosphere. You are such a completely ignorant, ideologically motivated retard, walleyed, you wouldn't know an actual "scientific fact" if one bit you.

And if you bothered to pull your head out of your ass (I know, you find that EXTREMELY difficult) you would see I presented you with the actual formula describing what you so laboriously explained.
Yeah, too bad you just copied it from some website without understanding it, you poor deluded goofball.

C'mon, dufus, show us the chemical formula that explains where the imaginary extra CO2 is coming from that supposedly keeps alcohol production and use from being carbon neutral.

Ummm, that's because mathematically it is impossible with the technology as it now exists, for the process to be carbon neutral.
I know that is your delusion, retard-boy, but you have yet to explain where you imagine the extra carbon dioxide is coming from.

Not that we should give a crap about CO2. It is an essential gas neccessary(sic) for life. Only delusional deniars(sic) of well known scientific fact think otherwise.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL........that is just too funny, coming from the premier "delusional deniar(sic) of well known scientific facts" and chief retard of the anti-science cult of AGW denial. As everyone with more than half a brain knows, CO2 is a potent greenhouse gas that retains heat inside the Earth's atmosphere. You are such a completely ignorant, ideologically motivated retard, walleyed, you wouldn't know an actual "scientific fact" if one bit you.

Yeah, too bad you just copied it from some website without understanding it, you poor deluded goofball.

C'mon, dufus, show us the chemical formula that explains where the imaginary extra CO2 is coming from that supposedly keeps alcohol production and use from being carbon neutral.

What was that Mr. "rational". I see you're still frothing at the mouth and screaming. Take your meds...feel better. Go to sleep little baby goooo to sleeep!

What was that Mr. "rational". I see you're still frothing at the mouth and screaming. Take your meds...feel better. Go to sleep little baby goooo to sleeep!

And so, once again, you have shown yourself to be incapable of backing up your delusional crackpot claims with any evidence. You claim that ethanol production and use is not carbon neutral but you seem unable to understand what the phrase means in the first place and then you can't point out where you imagine the extra CO2 is coming from that would keep alcohol production from being classified as carbon neutral.

You poor, poor, confused and deluded halfwit, you just have no idea what is going on, do you?

You may, I suppose, be imagining that you answered me but that was only in your own little private fantasy world. Now try doing it in the real world, "tad...dim".

Please explain exactly why ethanol "could never ever" replace fossil fuels, particularly if it could be made from abundant seaweed, that isn't, BTW, a food source for humans. Some countries have already made a good start. Explain this....
Ethanol fuel in Brazil
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.....Well, Mr Horseshit, I see you're still incapable of answering the question rationally. So typical of you moronic denier cultists to make idiotic statements that you can neither back up with any evidence nor even explain. I guess that's because you're just parroting the moronic lies and propaganda you scrape off of the fossil fuel industry sponsored denier cult blogs.

In fact, there are no barriers to producing vast quantities of alcohol fuel using these kind of genetically engineered bacteria to convert the sugars in otherwise unusable plant material like seaweed into something that can be fermented into alcohol. There are probably better alternatives like electric vehicles and hydrogen powered vehicles but bio-fuels will also probably continue to be developed and have its place in the new non-carbon emitting world energy economy.

I'm an advocate, and have been so for 35 years.

And I know the difference between petroleum and ethanol.

Go back to school, you might learn something.

Great...now come back when you're figured out the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground, 'cause it obviously still has you stumped.

I'm an advocate, and have been so for 35 years.

Go back to school, you might learn something.

That's highly doubtful. blunder has the brain power of a fart in a windstorm.

Great...now come back when you're figured out the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground, 'cause it obviously still has you stumped.

Class, for the near-sighted kid sitting in the back corner with the dunce cap...

You can make more groovy things from this...

crudeoil.jpg

...than this.

Ethanol-displayed.png

And ethanol could never ever supplant the 20 million barrels of crude that we use each day in the U.S.

...but be nice to him- he's dragging down the grade curve for the rest of you.

Is "carbon neutral" related to "intelligence neutral"?

Seriously, if I burn ethanol or oil or wood or anything else, don't they all put carbon into the environment in a different form than they were previous to the burning?

Here's a thought, lets take all the seaweed out of the ocean and make a couple of hundred gallons of ethanol. The fish won't mind.

Why do we need to "replace" fossil fuels? What is wrong with using them
I think you're the clear winner of the "Most Completely Clueless Poster" award for 2012.

Fossil fuels release fossil carbon into the atmosphere when they are burned.

Burning fossil fuels over the last couple of centuries has increased Earth's atmospheric CO2 levels by 40%.

Carbon dioxide is a powerful greenhouse gas.

Increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere have produced abrupt and unnatural global warming and accelerating climate changes that threaten to destroy important parts of the Earth's ecosystems and bio-diversity and also threaten human civilization and populations.

That's why we need to replace fossil fuels with clean, non CO2 emitting energy sources, like solar, wind, geothermal, and ocean energy (wave, tide, current) sources or, second best, carbon neutral bio-fuels like ethanol.

You are serious, right? Please let me know. If I'm wrong and this was satirical, you deserve rep. If I'm right, you're a raving lunatic and at the very least should be prohibited from breeding.

Is "carbon neutral" related to "intelligence neutral"?

Seriously, if I burn ethanol or oil or wood or anything else, don't they all put carbon into the environment in a different form than they were previous to the burning?

Note the letter "O" in the ethanol molecule.
Ethanol is an oxygenate which when blended with gasoline purportedly reduces carbon monoxide emissions.
Methanol served the same purpose with much more effectiveness and efficiency, but it was railroaded under by the Agriculture lobby.

Class, for the near-sighted kid sitting in the back corner with the dunce cap....be nice to him- he's dragging down the grade curve for the rest of you...
Talking about yourself in the third person again, Mr Horseshit?

...than this.

Yeah? So what? Everybody knows that petroleum makes a great feed stock for all kinds of great plastics and other non-fuel products. But that's not what we debating here, dingbat. We specifically comparing the advantages/disadvantages of alcohol fuels compared to fossil fuels in the context of a thread about the development of genetically engineered bacteria that are capable of converting into something fermentable, the sugars in what is practically free, easily available worldwide and otherwise unused seaweed, grown naturally on the ocean so not taking up cropland, and this development could potentially lower the price of alcohol fuel considerable. So your supposed 'argument' about how so much "more groovy things" can be made from petroleum over alcohol is specious and pointless. The people making and using bio-fuels aren't trying to make "more groovy things" from it; they just want to simply use it for fuel, mostly in vehicles and electrical power plants. As the Brazilians have demonstrated, this is both practical and economical. This new development with the genetically engineered bacteria will almost certainly make alcohol fuel production in coastal areas even more economical and thus make alcohol fuels a lot cheaper and more competitive with fossil fuels.

In general, fossil fuels are just going to get more and more expensive as the years go by and the supplies dwindle but the new alternative energy sources, like bio-fuels, hydrogen and electricity will continue to get cheaper and cheaper as the technology matures and new developments like this come along.

And ethanol could never ever supplant the 20 million barrels of crude that we use each day in the U.S.
If we're talking about the oil that winds up fueling our vehicles and power plants, then your statement is idiotic nonsense. I strongly doubt that USA will even try to replace all of the fossil fuel energy we use with bio-fuels when there are other, even better alternative energy sources in use and in development. We will probably replace most of the oil with energy from the sun and wind and ocean currents, tides and waves. There are some new developments that make hydrogen production a lot cheaper and exclusively and directly solar powered so that may promote hydrogen powered vehicle development. In any case, alcohol fuel production and use will continue to play a part in the worldwide transition off of fossil fuels and into renewables, particularly in the tropical areas and now along the sea coasts.

Last edited:

Class, for the near-sighted kid sitting in the back corner with the dunce cap....be nice to him- he's dragging down the grade curve for the rest of you...
Talking about yourself in the third person again, Mr Horseshit?

...than this.

Yeah? So what? Everybody knows that petroleum makes a great feed stock for all kinds of great plastics and other non-fuel products. But that's not what we debating here, dingbat. We specifically comparing the advantages/disadvantages of alcohol fuels compared to fossil fuels in the context of a thread about the development of genetically engineered bacteria that are capable of converting into something fermentable, the sugars in what is practically free, easily available worldwide and otherwise unused seaweed, grown naturally on the ocean so not taking up cropland, and this development could potentially lower the price of alcohol fuel considerable. So your supposed 'argument' about how so much "more groovy things" can be made from petroleum over alcohol is specious and pointless. The people making and using bio-fuels aren't trying to make "more groovy things" from it; they just want to simply use it for fuel, mostly in vehicles and electrical power plants. As the Brazilians have demonstrated, this is both practical and economical. This new development with the genetically engineered bacteria will almost certainly make alcohol fuel production in coastal areas even more economical and thus make alcohol fuels a lot cheaper and more competitive with fossil fuels.

In general, fossil fuels are just going to get more and more expensive as the years go by and the supplies dwindle but the new alternative energy sources, like bio-fuels, hydrogen and electricity will continue to get cheaper and cheaper as the technology matures and new developments like this come along.

If we're talking about the oil that winds up fueling our vehicles and power plants, then your statement is idiotic nonsense. I strongly doubt that USA will even try to replace all of the fossil fuel energy we use with bio-fuels when there are other, even better alternative energy sources in use and in development. We will probably replace most of the oil with energy from the sun and wind and ocean currents, tides and waves. There are some new developments that make hydrogen production a lot cheaper and exclusively and directly solar powered so that may promote hydrogen powered vehicle development. In any case, alcohol fuel production and use will continue to play a part in the worldwide transition off of fossil fuels and into renewables, particularly in the tropical areas and now along the sea coasts.

You didn't start this thread, numbnuts, and you sure as hell don't set the agenda.

Dream all you want, but non-hydrocarbon fuels will make little more than a fractional contribution to the energy mix well into the foreseeable future.

Why do we need to "replace" fossil fuels? What is wrong with using them
I think you're the clear winner of the "Most Completely Clueless Poster" award for 2012.

Fossil fuels release fossil carbon into the atmosphere when they are burned.

Burning fossil fuels over the last couple of centuries has increased Earth's atmospheric CO2 levels by 40%.

Carbon dioxide is a powerful greenhouse gas.

Increased levels of CO2 in the atmosphere have produced abrupt and unnatural global warming and accelerating climate changes that threaten to destroy important parts of the Earth's ecosystems and bio-diversity and also threaten human civilization and populations.

That's why we need to replace fossil fuels with clean, non CO2 emitting energy sources, like solar, wind, geohermal, and ocean energy (wave, tide, current) sources or, second best, carbon neutral bio-fuels like ethanol.

You are serious, right? Please let me know. If I'm wrong and this was satirical, you deserve rep. If I'm right, you're a raving lunatic and at the very least should be prohibited from breeding.

:welcome: Cool...another clueless retard pops up showing clear signs of braindamage (bike accident?) to spew more demented bullshit....this one looks like he could be really amusing.....have to wait and see....

Forum List

Back