Comets bring strange viruses to earth

In case anyone didn't know, the Tartigrade survives dormant in space.

tardigrade_eyeofscience_1024.jpg

How do they survive the heat of reentry?

Inside the part of the rock that doesn't burn up.
How did they get inside such a bit rock, and how many make to our surface?

Time. Rocks formed from accreted dust. Dust forms grains, grains clump into rocks, rocks aggregate into planets. How do you think there are bacteria miles under ground? When the asteroid killed the dinosaurs, life survived as bacteria miles under ground and moved back to the surface. Hundreds of tons of rock and dust hit the Earth every day. What doesn't burn up reaches the ground.

Go watch The Andromeda Strain. It's based on an actual event.

How do they survive the heat of reentry?

Inside the part of the rock that doesn't burn up.
How did they get inside such a bit rock, and how many make to our surface?

Time. Rocks formed from accreted dust. Dust forms grains, grains clump into rocks, rocks aggregate into planets. How do you think there are bacteria miles under ground? When the asteroid killed the dinosaurs, life survived as bacteria miles under ground and moved back to the surface. Hundreds of tons of rock and dust hit the Earth every day. What doesn't burn up reaches the ground.

Go watch The Andromeda Strain. It's based on an actual event.

What actual fact??????

Fact is mutations occur on our surface due to the effects of radiation.

Horsefeathers ... you're just "kicking the can down the road" ... whatever life comes to Earth has to come from someplace ... we have the exact same problem, only some other place and much longer ago ... frankly, we don't have that much time ... it was Carl Sagan who posited that humans could well be the singularly most advanced species in the entire universe ... we need several supernovae cycles to produce all the elements needed for life, and the universe is still in her infancy ... some of the very first stars formed still have trillions of years before they completely die ... trillions of years ...

Where ever this seed of life came from, there was nothing but hydrogen with a smattering of helium ... carbon and oxygen were still a billion years in the future ... the Earth may be 4.5 billion years old, but the supernovae from which the Earth was formed is closer to 7 billion years ago ... so time is in short supply here ...

Yes, I just said 13.7 billions years is a brief amount of time ... so sue me ...

Horsefeathers ... you're just "kicking the can down the road" ... whatever life comes to Earth has to come from someplace ... we have the exact same problem, only some other place and much longer ago ... frankly, we don't have that much time ... it was Carl Sagan who posited that humans could well be the singularly most advanced species in the entire universe ... we need several supernovae cycles to produce all the elements needed for life, and the universe is still in her infancy ... some of the very first stars formed still have trillions of years before they completely die ... trillions of years ...

Where ever this seed of life came from, there was nothing but hydrogen with a smattering of helium ... carbon and oxygen were still a billion years in the future ... the Earth may be 4.5 billion years old, but the supernovae from which the Earth was formed is closer to 7 billion years ago ... so time is in short supply here ...

Yes, I just said 13.7 billions years is a brief amount of time ... so sue me ...

I'm kicking WHAT can down the road? All I answered was how a virus might survive coming in from space in a rock!

As to old stars, Gen II stars naturally have very long lives. That proves nothing. I disagree it took 2.5 billion years ( 2,500 million years) from the time of the super nova compressive shock for the solar nebula to collapse and form our solar system. You can't know that without knowing the location of the star that caused the initial collapse.

As to the long life of the universe, the age of stellar formation may have already peaked, and many galaxies are showing signs of better times and that new star formation is slowing down. But none of that proves we are the first, last or most advanced life, we simply don't know.

I'm kicking WHAT can down the road? All I answered was how a virus might survive coming in from space in a rock!

As to old stars, Gen II stars naturally have very long lives. That proves nothing. I disagree it took 2.5 billion years ( 2,500 million years) from the time of the super nova compressive shock for the solar nebula to collapse and form our solar system. You can't know that without knowing the location of the star that caused the initial collapse.

As to the long life of the universe, the age of stellar formation may have already peaked, and many galaxies are showing signs of better times and that new star formation is slowing down. But none of that proves we are the first, last or most advanced life, we simply don't know.

Kicking the "can" down the road ... where did this virus come from? ... how does it survive God knows how many years at 3 K? ... even if it gets here, it's dead meat without a host ... the notion of an extra-terrestrial virus infecting a terrestrial host is strictly science fiction ... we need a bacteria to survive, specifically a cyanobacteria ... O2 is poisonous to anything less evolved ... a billion years here, a billion years there, we run out of these billions rather quickly ...

I believe the age of the supernovae is estimated from isotope ratios, some guesswork at to the original ratios, but we know the half-lives and ratios today ... if we want a number, then it's 7 billion years, give or take a couple billion ... my point is many things have to happen before life can arise on a planet ... some of these things take time, a billion years here, a billion years there, we run out of these billions rather quickly ... the correct counter-argument is just 10 million years ago, humans hadn't diverged from the rats yet ... evolution happens in a flash ... at these time scales, advanced civilizations will suddenly appear where there was none before ...

... the notion of an extra-terrestrial virus infecting a terrestrial host is strictly science fiction ....

Not sure why you'd say that---- we don't know where life comes from much less viruses, and if organic compounds are found in space and space rocks, then it isn't hard to imagine some or all of them come here from space via rocks, comets, etc. Now, is that how or where this corona virus came from? Who knows? I certain never said it did.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back