Comedian and Dame Edna star Barry Humphries dies aged 89: Australia's Greatest Comic

• Banned
never heard of her and I doubt you have ever heard of her either.
I'm a political/cultural behemoth for the whole globe in terms of my knowledge. i have a library that's bigger than your brain on my laptop

"In his later years, Humphries faced criticism for a series of statements against transgender people, including that gender affirmation surgery was "self-mutilation"."

I'm a political/cultural behemoth for the whole globe in terms of my knowledge. i have a library that's bigger than your brain on my laptop
That says as much about your very small mini library as it does about her lack of frontal cortex .

Anyhow I have been studying MoanBlow very closely and I can see that she is a BotOM model and is in need of urgent updates. Turkish , Algerian , does not much matter .

btw . Never thought BH that funny though the business thought the sun shone out of his talented backside .

"Australia's Greatest Comic."

That's a pretty low bar... he may very well have been their only comic...

Personally, I never found him funny.

Very sad. One classy "dame" for sure.

I first saw him back in the 80's on TV. One of the channels was showing one of his London theater performances.
The best way to describe his humor at that time is a verbal meme lord........this is pre-home computer now, so there was no such thing as memes or the internet..........he made sarcastic and funny comments on life, living, things going on in the world, and whatever was a popular subject at the time.

I like this type of comedy, as it's more relatable than stuff that only the comedian knows about.

And his different characters all had different outlooks on lfe, living, and everything else. So his characters weren't only different from one another, they actually all had seperate personalities. But Dame Edna became his most loved and most famous.

This is also a good lesson about what a TRUE drag queen IS. A performer. Not one that is preaching how you should live and think......but giving you reasons to think about life and living and making your own decisions.......and doing it with comedy, style, sass, and sarcasm.

Lord Humphries is survived by his wife and 4 children.

Australian comedian Barry Humphries died aged 89 on Saturday. Often, when a celebrity of his stature passes, the vultures flap down and try to tear off a piece of his flesh to claim for their own. But the grief felt over Humphries’ passing has been almost universal. Indeed, his gift was his capacity to make the claim and counterclaim of the culture war seem absurd. His rejection of any team, let alone ‘moral’ or ‘point’ in his comedy, seemed integral to his mischief and his joy.

There was a three hour tribute programme for him on BBC Radio 4 Extra at the weekend and I listened to most of it whilst scribbling notes here .

What a witty and high cultured guy he was . I revised my appreciation of his many talents considerably .

He was a performer of the classy type. I have seen his performance a few times over the years on talk shows. He was really good at what he did .

Forum List

Back