Comcast "Bans" Gun Ads

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
Comcast Spotlight, the local sales arm of the cable giant, will no longer accept ads for guns. And no, the policy change has nothing to do with the ongoing gun violence debate in Washington.

In a statement, Comcast said it decided this month it would adopt the advertising guidelines used by NBCUniversal, which will not accept ads for weapons or fireworks. (Last week, the cable giant announced it would acquire the 49 percent of NBCU it didn't own for $16.7 billion.)

NBC's ad policy, last updated in June 2012, reads: "NBC does not accept advertisements for weapons or fireworks. Commercials that include weapons or fireworks as props will be approved on a case-by-case basis."

(link)

I can't recall ever seeing a TV commercial for guns.
Bluster, as far as I can tell.

Yeah exactly. That's why I put "bans" in quotes. I suspect if Sandy Hook had not happened, the policy would still exist but no one would write a story about it.

Actually the story does mention a local shop owner whose 30-second spot will no longer air. The ads exist on a local level even if they don't draw a lot of attention-- you know, the cheap ones where the proprietor does his own ad for a business in your town; that's what's affected here.

Last edited:
Advertising this is just begging for some backlash support for local gun stores.

Should be renamed "Commiecast".

Uhhhh.... advertising decisions are a part of a capitalist free market. How exactly does that invoke "communism"??

I'm fascinated with this circuitous logic stuff... :eusa_think:

Last edited:
Should be renamed "Commiecast".

Uhhhh.... advertising decisions are a part of a free market. How exactly does that invoke "communism"??

We dumped Comcast a few months back. Just a pet name I invoked.
Now untie them panties before you get hurt.

That's not in any way a reasoning.
So you just toss random words around regardless what they mean? Good to know for future reference.

Uhhhh.... advertising decisions are a part of a free market. How exactly does that invoke "communism"??

So you just toss random words around regardless what they mean? Good to know for future reference.

Just put me on ignore. BING!
Then you can get on with telling other folks how and what to post.

No no, I think we all appreciate the forewarning that in the marketplace of ideas you'd prefer to deal in Iranian Rials in a land where adjectives have no meaning. Thanks for that. Moving on...

The irony (read: hypocrisy) of this NBC policy is that while they may not be advertising some specific local gun store, their regular programming with its propaganda of the gun culture more than makes up for that, by many times. Discuss.

No no, I think we all appreciate the forewarning that in the marketplace of ideas you'd prefer to deal in Iranian Rials in a land where adjectives have no meaning. Thanks for that. Moving on...

The irony (read: hypocrisy) of this NBC policy is that while they may not be advertising some specific local gun store, their regular programming with its propaganda of the gun culture more than makes up for that, by many times. Discuss.

You damned Commie.

You damned Commie.

:rofl:

Forum List

Back