Colorado Pot prices dropping

It looks like the market is working itself out, that and the State realizes it has to drop taxes a bit to cut out the bottom end black market that is created when something legal is over-taxed (as opposed to the top end black market that is created by making something illegal)

Colorado s Recreational Marijuana Prices are Falling

After about 18 months of legal recreational marijuana sales in Colorado, the market keeps getting bigger. And now a new survey shows that pot prices in Colorado are actually declining, even as the number of customers increases.

One reason the cost of getting high is getting lower is because of increased competition from new dispensaries and the expansion of growing facilities. The limited number of dispensaries allowed to sell recreational marijuana during much of the first year of legal sales were able to keep prices relatively high, but prices have come down as more and more entrepreneurs get dispensary licenses and enter the market. At the same time, the report by Nicholas Colas, Convergex’s chief market strategist, notes that “it is also a natural result for any maturing industry as dispensaries try to find the market’s equilibrium price.”

Meanwhile, the state’s sales totals could receive a sizable boost on Sept. 16, when Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper will institute a one-day repeal of the 10% sales tax for recreational pot sales. After that one-day tax holiday, the sales tax will be permanently downsized to 8% in a move meant to further squeeze out the state’s black market for the drug, which is still illegal on the federal level.
Gee, I recall writing that this is exactly what would happen. If the tax is too high the incentive to cheat becomes enormous and since growing pot isnt exactly rocket science people would be bootlegging it and avoiding the tax.
My other prediction is that the criminal networks that developed to grow, import and distribute pot would not simply dry up and blow away but would start pushing harder drugs like cocaine and meth. I havent seen evidence of that yet but I am certain it is coming.

Make cocaine and meth legal. It isn't rocket science.

Lets start with pot first.

This isn't about pot. At least not for me. I'm not going to complain because those laws are going away, but drug prohibition laws have been incredibly destructive to this nation. I am not opposed to pot drug laws because I am pro-pot. I am opposed to all drug laws because they fix nothing and cause immense harm. The solution to addiction is medical treatment, not a cage and an "ex-con" label. We could provide that treatment, free of charge to the addict, for a tiny percentage of what we currently spend to destroy the addict's life and enrich criminals. Hell, the tax revenue would pay for that and we'd have a net gain - and still not have to destroy their life. If the purpose of drug laws is to protect people, then let's do something that actually accomplishes that goal.

It looks like the market is working itself out, that and the State realizes it has to drop taxes a bit to cut out the bottom end black market that is created when something legal is over-taxed (as opposed to the top end black market that is created by making something illegal)

After about 18 months of legal recreational marijuana sales in Colorado, the market keeps getting bigger. And now a new survey shows that pot prices in Colorado are actually declining, even as the number of customers increases.

One reason the cost of getting high is getting lower is because of increased competition from new dispensaries and the expansion of growing facilities. The limited number of dispensaries allowed to sell recreational marijuana during much of the first year of legal sales were able to keep prices relatively high, but prices have come down as more and more entrepreneurs get dispensary licenses and enter the market. At the same time, the report by Nicholas Colas, Convergex’s chief market strategist, notes that “it is also a natural result for any maturing industry as dispensaries try to find the market’s equilibrium price.”

Meanwhile, the state’s sales totals could receive a sizable boost on Sept. 16, when Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper will institute a one-day repeal of the 10% sales tax for recreational pot sales. After that one-day tax holiday, the sales tax will be permanently downsized to 8% in a move meant to further squeeze out the state’s black market for the drug, which is still illegal on the federal level.
Gee, I recall writing that this is exactly what would happen. If the tax is too high the incentive to cheat becomes enormous and since growing pot isnt exactly rocket science people would be bootlegging it and avoiding the tax.
My other prediction is that the criminal networks that developed to grow, import and distribute pot would not simply dry up and blow away but would start pushing harder drugs like cocaine and meth. I havent seen evidence of that yet but I am certain it is coming.

This isn't about pot. At least not for me. I'm not going to complain because those laws are going away, but drug prohibition laws have been incredibly destructive to this nation. I am not opposed to pot drug laws because I am pro-pot. I am opposed to all drug laws because they fix nothing and cause immense harm. The solution to addiction is medical treatment, not a cage and an "ex-con" label. We could provide that treatment, free of charge to the addict, for a tiny percentage of what we currently spend to destroy the addict's life and enrich criminals. Hell, the tax revenue would pay for that and we'd have a net gain - and still not have to destroy their life. If the purpose of drug laws is to protect people, then let's do something that actually accomplishes that goal.

I agree 100% with this long term goal, however I have a feeling certain drugs are more difficult to legalize, and would prefer to start with Pot and work our way to others.

Yes, the concept of the war on drugs is a failure because it attacks the supply, not the demand, and all you do when you attack the supply is make the remaining supply more valuable.

I know governments have tried to reduce demand through education, but that only works on a part of the demand, not all of it.

I agree 100% with this long term goal, however I have a feeling certain drugs are more difficult to legalize, and would prefer to start with Pot and work our way to others.

Yes, the concept of the war on drugs is a failure because it attacks the supply, not the demand, and all you do when you attack the supply is make the remaining supply more valuable.

I know governments have tried to reduce demand through education, but that only works on a part of the demand, not all of it.

I'm not a politician. If someone asks if I think heroin should be legal, I'm going to say yes for the same reason I would say pot should be legal. I'm not going to lie about my position because it might interfere with a legislative strategy.

I'm not a politician. If someone asks if I think heroin should be legal, I'm going to say yes for the same reason I would say pot should be legal. I'm not going to lie about my position because it might interfere with a legislative strategy.

For me I'm not sure Heroin should be legal. The easy ones for me are Pot, shrooms, E, peyote, and maybe coke. Heroin, LSD, PCP, and meth I am not sure about yet. That being said I would think we have realized by now that prohibition has only resulted in increased police power, and a general disrespect for the law.

My solutions, however, would probably be a bit harsher than yours.

For me I'm not sure Heroin should be legal. The easy ones for me are Pot, shrooms, E, peyote, and maybe coke. Heroin, LSD, PCP, and meth I am not sure about yet. That being said I would think we have realized by now that prohibition has only resulted in increased police power, and a general disrespect for the law.

Would your solutions work?

They want to show us natural selection at work. Soon they will legalize ALL drugs to adults. And yes, we will have an initial die-off. That's all I can say. If you are so stupid to smoke- good luck.

They want to show us natural selection at work. Soon they will legalize ALL drugs to adults. And yes, we will have an initial die-off. That's all I can say. If you are so stupid to smoke- good luck.
Thanks, fuck you too..
With all my sincerity,
Moonglow

Who knows? the problem is the current one isn't.

To me, if we decriminalize drug use, we still have to protect the rest of society from the impact caused by people addicted to them, some of them hopelessly so.

If you legalize drugs, you set up a tiered system on how to handle those who get addicted to them/cannot handle them. For non-violent/minimal harm crimes committed by those addicted (of which, being on the drug could not be the crime, think DWI without injury, petty larceny) would result in treatment, and release. (strike 1). Those who commit more serious crimes would be treated at facilities that were more secure, and when cured, serve their remainder at a criminal facility (these would go right to strike 2).

For the strikes:

Strike 1: You can use drugs still, but any further offense puts you to Strike 2.

Strike 2: You have lost the privilege of using drugs for 10 years. We will treat you, but after that you get tested and if you get caught using, back into treatment. one chance. after that:

Strike 3: You get committed to a camp where we give you all the drugs you want, but you can't leave unless you can go clean for a year. Basically Hotel California.

I know its convoluted, but its my view on this.

To me, if we decriminalize drug use, we still have to protect the rest of society from the impact caused by people addicted to them, some of them hopelessly so.

If you legalize drugs, you set up a tiered system on how to handle those who get addicted to them/cannot handle them. For non-violent/minimal harm crimes committed by those addicted (of which, being on the drug could not be the crime, think DWI without injury, petty larceny) would result in treatment, and release. (strike 1). Those who commit more serious crimes would be treated at facilities that were more secure, and when cured, serve their remainder at a criminal facility (these would go right to strike 2).

For the strikes:

Strike 1: You can use drugs still, but any further offense puts you to Strike 2.

Strike 2: You have lost the privilege of using drugs for 10 years. We will treat you, but after that you get tested and if you get caught using, back into treatment. one chance. after that:

Strike 3: You get committed to a camp where we give you all the drugs you want, but you can't leave unless you can go clean for a year. Basically Hotel California.

Helpful in-site into your eschewed psyche...

For the strikes:

Helpful in-site into your eschewed psyche...

it's a proposed solution to a problem. Instead of a ad hominem why not comment on the substance of the proposal?

For the strikes:

If you commit a crime, you have committed a crime. Whether your did it because you are an addict or you just want to buy a new car doesn't matter. Armed robbery is armed robbery, DWI is DWI. If someone has a drug problem, then we should certainly help them with it. But a drug problem is not an excuse to commit a crime. The two should be handled separately. That's my view.

For the strikes:

If you commit a crime, you have committed a crime. Whether your did it because you are an addict or you just want to buy a new car doesn't matter. Armed robbery is armed robbery, DWI is DWI. If someone has a drug problem, then we should certainly help them with it. But a drug problem is not an excuse to commit a crime. The two should be handled separately. That's my view.

In my system it would for violent crimes, or crimes involving significant impact to others. We would still jail you for your armed robbery, but would treat you, and put you in a much stricter jail that actively prevents drug use via testing.

Cool story bro. Let's legalize heroin!

btw, China had a huge opium problem and outlawed it. Solved the problem. Until the Brits made them legalize it, then the problem came back. Then the solved it again. Put your bong down and get some air. You bozos are why pot smoking has had a rough road, drunks don't usually think they're smarter but they sober up. Potheads don't seem to sober up.

Prohibition comes with costs. And pretty severe ones. So you have to weight the costs of the medicine vs the cost of what its curing. And pot is pretty harmless. While the cost to individuals, our budgets and society is severe.

Its an strict Cost-benefit question. And prohibition of pot costs us more than it benefits us.
pot is only "harmless' to those who dont abuse the fuck out of it...otherwise you can have problems....and there will always be those who just have to go to extremes with things.....

So? You can say the same thing about doughnuts. And abusing doughnuts is probably more destructive to one's health.
so?...you do realize its the abusers who make people like tipsy think its worse than alcohol.....they are the examples they always use for their examples of why its bad....just sayin....

Doesn't matter. The abuser of alcohol made people enact the 18th amendment. Which fueled the rise of the mafia. If a law only makes things worse, it should be repealed.
pot should be at least decriminalized and taken off schedule one....and if you smoke it and drive and get caught....you pay the price,with smoking comes responsibility......

Government being involved usually isn't a good thing. I've tried to explain that to some of my pothead friends. I've always told them they should be pushing for decriminalization, but not for taxation.

Big Brother is not your friend. You would think Americans would have figured that out by now. He's not there to help you get high and enjoy life. He's there to control you and steal your money.

Government being involved usually isn't a good thing. I've tried to explain that to some of my pothead friends. I've always told them they should be pushing for decriminalization, but not for taxation.

Big Brother is not your friend. You would think Americans would have figured that out by now. He's not there to help you get high and enjoy life. He's there to control you and steal your money.
Sounds like my ex wives...

During the 1990's, the price for a pound of outdoor in California was over $4,000.

Now that same pound is under $2,000 (black market).

The medical dispensaries in California have been making money by selling small amounts for relatively high prices, like around $40 for an 8th ounce. They have to pay rent on their store and taxes. Black market is still the best deal. If anything, the legal weed industry has prevented black market prices from completely cratering.

sounds like what California has become....

Sounds like my ex wives...

Yeah, i'm shocked so many truly believe Big Brother is their friend. He doesn't care about you. Big Brother cares about Big Brother. He isn't there to help you enjoy life. He's there to control you and make you pay tribute.

So yeah, maybe he won't put you in prison for getting high. But he's gonna make you pay in other ways. He isn't your friend.

sounds like what California has become....

In my opinion, California law is a better deal than the 'legalization' in Washington State and Colorado. It's easy to get a medical card. There are clinics that just do medical evaluations for marijuana and that's all they do, cranking out cards all day long. You had a headache once? Approved! Now you can grow 100 plants in Humboldt County, or 100 square feet indoors.

Forum List

Back