Colonizing Mars

I just read that Elon Musk wants to send people on a one-way journey to Mars. What's the point?

Unless you're going to seriously terraform the planet, what are you going to do there?

Where will you get water?

Where will you get breathable air?

If you build a dome, one inbound baseball size rock can end the experiment.

Is the Martian soil capable of sustaining Earth plant life? Hell, if we water it, will Martian plant life come back in bloom.

Did you bother to read what Elon Musk said about why he wants to do this?
Why don't you explain it

You start a thread asking
I just read that Elon Musk wants to send people on a one-way journey to Mars. What's the point?

Did you bother to read what Elon Musk goal is- or did you just want to bitch about it?

I'm not "bitching" just asking why Elon believes it should be a death sentence

Unless you're going to seriously terraform the planet, what are you going to do there?

Is the Martian soil capable of sustaining Earth plant life? Hell, if we water it, will Martian plant life come back in bloom.

Why don't you explain it

Did you bother to read what Elon Musk goal is- or did you just want to bitch about it?

Because it is a long, long way from Earth and it is a dead planet with deadly cosmic rays that we are shielded from here on earth.

Just imagine, many of the early explores who came to America perished and this is was a so called hospitable continent.

Essentially, the first explores to Mars will be studied to see how long they live and to see if their life span might be expanded on the second trip.

Why don't you explain it

And why are you asking us- rather than reading what Elon has said about it?

Why do you think that we have some special insight into Elon Musk's motivation?

Since you are too lazy to actually bother to look to see what Elon Musk said- I will post it here

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk unveils grandiose plan to colonize Mars

The keys, he said, are fully reusable rockets and crew ships; autonomous orbital fueling technology; using the most efficient propellants; and producing those propellants on Mars to get the crew ships back to Earth for additional flights.

“There are really two fundamental paths,” Musk told an overflow crowd at the International Astronautical Congress in Guadalajara, Mexico. “One path is we stay on Earth forever, and there will be some eventual extinction event. ... The alternative is to become a space-faring civilization and a multi-planet species.

“That’s what we want,” he said, pointing to a large picture of Mars on a screen behind him. “So how do we figure out how to take you to Mars and create a self-sustaining city, a city that’s not really an outpost but could become a planet in its own right and thus we could become a truly multi-planet species.”

Read the rest of the article for the details.

I think the point is to test the effect on the human psychology. It is worthwhile for that.

The human mind is finite. We already know that.

Hmm, I just remembered that the autistic function well within a robotic environment. I think we should send the autistics to Mars. Maybe they are already pre programmed.

Humans have already polluted Earth. What are we going to do next, pollute Mars?

I think the point is to test the effect on the human psychology. It is worthwhile for that.

Hmm, I just remembered that the autistic function well within a robotic environment. I think we should send the autistics to Mars. Maybe they are already pre programmed.

Pollution zones needs isolation from other living things, like we put walls around our toilets, pour bleach down them, then call the cesspool guy to take it away. Earth is full. Someone needs to take it away. There is no life on Mars.

Pollution zones needs isolation from other living things, like we put walls around our toilets, pour bleach down them, then call the cesspool guy to take it away. Earth is full. Someone needs to take it away. There is no life on Mars.

I pulled that from an old memory when talking with a black work friend in Atlanta. We were discussing nuclear waste and I said use rockets and send the waste to the Sun. He said in all seriousness what are we going to do now, pollute the Sun?

Yes.

Pollute a dead planet?

What will they do, turn the rocks orange like Trump?

Forum List

Back