College Tuition: A Political Football

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jwoodie, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jwoodie

jwoodie Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,912
    I just read that public college tuition has gone up as much as 80% in the last four years, with some charging over $16,000 per year for in-state tuition and fees. Combined with freely available student loans, this is creating a new class of government dependents who will vote, for years to come, for any politician who dangles the carrot of debt relief in front of their noses.

What is equally disturbing is that there is almost never any inquiry into the operating costs of these colleges, specifically administrative and faculty salaries and benefits. These lavishly funded jobs should receive the same level of cost benefit analysis as other government expenditures, but for some reason are shielded from public scrutiny. I wonder why?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,885
    Granny says dey's short-changin' our soldiers...
    :eusa_eh:
    Military tuition assistance restored, but timing is uncertain
    Wednesday March 27, 2013 WASHINGTON — The military’s tuition assistance programs will resume soon, but no one knows when.

3. depotoo

depotoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,528
    In the great state of Florida our governor had the balls to publish the salaries of the state University system. Let me tell you, it turned a few heads, and not just Rep heads. I loved it!

4. KnobbyWalsh

KnobbyWalsh WTF?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121
    As a college grad, masters degree, and 30 more semester hours beyond that, I told my daughters to stay AWAY from college! Now, my youngest has to go to do what she wants (radiologist) so I get that and accept it because it's in the medical field where there's always jobs. Two of my others ARE going to post high school school, but NOT doing the traditional dorm room live on campus thing, wasting half a million dollars for a 4 year party. They're getting technical training mostly through tech colleges, and I'm behind that because THAT'S where today's jobs are.

Shit, I have a friend whose son just HAD to go to some music school to major in music. She's like, "What's he going to do with that?" Good question. Chances are a million to one he'd ever be a famous artist and will probably end up working in a music store for peanuts.

We really have to re-think this stuff today. It's not like back in the day where just having a college degree in something would be beneficial.