College Drops SAT / ACT Requirement to Increase Diversity Of Students

$50-$67 registration fee can be a challenge for some students; taking the test on a Saturday can be an issue for students who have jobs. I guess I like the idea of tearing down barriers for poor people to at least have an opportunity to try to see if they can get into college. If they are the first in their family, they may have no point of reference as to whether taking the test is even worth that money that could be used for something else like rent or food.

Students with financial hardship can take the tests for free. There are programs at schools with significant populations of such students to assist them with this process.

And for the kids who go to schools where there is no significant population of such people? The fee waiver system uses the schools as the gatekeeper and the the students cannot obtain them directly. The school is only going to know if they are eligible if the parents cooperate. Not all parents are cooperative. It is one of the reasons our school system opted everybody into free lunch--there were too many drug addled parents who wouldn't even do the paperwork to get their malnourished kids free food.

Are those goalposts getting heavy? You sure are moving them around a lot.

I haven't moved them around at all. I support doing away with the SAT/ACT's. That has not changed. I was responding to your defense of them because some kids can take them for free. I guess since you don't have a response to how the poor kids who can't take them for free are not going to be able to get through the gate, your defense of the tests fails.

The ACT is given in every high school in my state during their junior year.

What one school does may not be indicative of anything significant.

Who, exactly, benefits when a school becomes more "diverse"? Would it be better if the school focused on capturing the best students, and gave them the best possible education.

How best to ascertain which students are best prepared for college and most likely to do well? Grades and standardized test scores? Sounds best to me.

What one school does may not be indicative of anything significant.

Who, exactly, benefits when a school becomes more "diverse"? Would it be better if the school focused on capturing the best students, and gave them the best possible education.

How best to ascertain which students are best prepared for college and most likely to do well? Grades and standardized test scores? Sounds best to me.

Standardized test scores? You mean like the ACT or SAT?

Is that what you REALLY meant to post?

Forum List

Back