College destroys books after digitization, sparking fears of 1984 style censorship

Sad indeed. If the digital records are lost so is the information contained in them. A lot of donations went into these college libraries to keep these old books intact.

Nap pods? What the fuck is that? 45k a year so your college student can sleep? I would hand that cock sucker a pipe wrench and say...
Son you are a plumber now get your sorry ass to work.
We need more good plumbers.
Actually trade unions in many areas of the country are looking for people that want to be in the trades.

Books are awesome and shame on them for doing it. What happens if a collapse happens and there is no power...no technology...no anything? At least books don't rely on energy except to pick it up and flip the pages from someones hands.

Books are awesome and shame on them for doing it. What happens if a collapse happens and there is no power...no technology...no anything? At least books don't rely on energy except to pick it up and flip the pages from someones hands.

shame on whom for what? BOOKS STILL EXIST. Lots of books get destroyed
every year because of lack of space

upload_2017-5-9_14-2-31.png

There it is: many of the books removed had been destroyed. So here we see the other big problem in digitization: the lack of accountability that the alleged work is being done. How can we be sure that these institutions are actually scanning the books that they claim to be scanning? Who is monitoring them? Are we willing to trust them for this task? I for one am not.

The Digitization Of Classic Books May Lead To A Dangerous Form Of Censorship

How many ever saw the movie " The Book of Eli" with Denzel Washington? That's about where we are headed.

What utter crap. You surely can't believe this effluvia. Why wouldn't Amazon just return books to the publisher like everyone else does.

could be they incinerated them-----what makes you think that the publishers
would take them back? I once worked in a very large hospital-----it got
boxes and boxes of books as donations-----incinerated MOST OF THEM----
good job-------I rescued a few. Schools incinerate old textbooks

The prime mover in censorship was the Minister of Propaganda, Joseph Goebbels . It was his responsibility to see that the German people were fed with material acceptable to the Nazi state. Newspapers, radio and all forms of media were put under the control of the Nazis. Even the film industry became controlled by the Nazis where the leading light was Leni Riefenstahl – who, though favoured by Hitler , did not enjoy a good relationship with Goebbels . Music was controlled by the Nazis. Music by Gustav Mahler and Felix Mendelssohn was banned as they were both Jews. Jazz was also banned. Even telling jokes about Hitler became a serious offence – one to send you to the concentration camps and potentially death.

Censorship in Nazi Germany - History Learning Site

During the dark ages groups of people dedicated themselves to hiding scrolls of books and keeping knowledge alive. Someone will do the same during these dark ages too.

Book burning is about on par with flag burning. Do what you want....just don't expect me to shrug my shoulders at it and not have an emotion.

try not to get too emotional-----books are discarded and burned ALL THE TIME.
I have rescued LOTS------book dumps with signs "take" are all over the place--
look around. The ones you don't take are either landfill or burned

What utter crap. You surely can't believe this effluvia. Why wouldn't Amazon just return books to the publisher like everyone else does.

Those are donated books. Amazon books haven't been sold. Amazon might not even have these books in their possession. Order the book through them and it's shipped from the publisher. Publushers normally sell unsalable books to ship builders to be used as ballast.

They say those who learn nothing from history are doomed to repeat it, but then again, sometimes repeating history is exactly the point, as longtime anti-gun Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s new “assault weapons ban” planned legislation for early next year proves.

Yes, Hitler Really Did Take the Guns Before Throwing Jews into Concentration Camps (or Gas Chambers)
One college dumping the library does not mean that all books in,the world or even the nation is destroyed.

Those are donated books. Amazon books haven't been sold. Amazon might not even have these books in their possession. Order the book through them and it's shipped from the publisher. Publushers normally sell unsalable books to ship builders to be used as ballast.

so you can STILL ORDER them from amazon??? where is the censorship?

They say those who learn nothing from history are doomed to repeat it, but then again, sometimes repeating history is exactly the point, as longtime anti-gun Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s new “assault weapons ban” planned legislation for early next year proves.

Yes, Hitler Really Did Take the Guns Before Throwing Jews into Concentration Camps (or Gas Chambers)

Disarming of jews was invented by SAINT CONSTANTINE----emperor of the
first reich (holy roman empire) Both Adolf and Caliph Bakr (successor of
muhummad) Kopy Kated the law. Now----continued in the legal codes of
THE REICH and THE CALIPH (now that the inquisition if officially over)
Bibles are still shredded in Saudi Arabia I am not sure they are burned.
I have no idea what happens to confiscated assault rifles

One college dumping the library does not mean that all books in,the world or even the nation is destroyed.
They should be giving them away not trashing them.

They should be giving them away not trashing them.

lots of books end up in "TAKE" piles-------and stay there. I have
an extensive library of "taken" books I TAKE only one or two at
a time

Forum List

Back