College Degrees No Longer Needed for Jobs

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
The piece says, “This is a significant change.”

I think it’s huge. An acknowledgment that either the universities are not turning out what the big companies need or they don’t need what they’ve required in the past.

The Washington Examiner reports:

Big companies like Google, Apple, and IBM are no longer requiring applicants to hold a college degree.

This is a significant change. Historically, employers have required a college degree whether or not it was necessary to do the job.

Is this because colleges are no longer teaching the needed skills, or because there are so many job openings to fill that standards are dropping? Could it be that vocational training and self-taught skills are enough for certain jobs in the modern-day economy?

IBM is now looking at candidates with experience in non-traditional education, such as coding boot camps or industry-related vocational classes.

Glassdoor compiled an August list of 15 big companies that no longer require a degree to apply:

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

I think it’s huge. An acknowledgment that either the universities are not turning out what the big companies need or they don’t need what they’ve required in the past.

Big companies like Google, Apple, and IBM are no longer requiring applicants to hold a college degree.

This is a significant change. Historically, employers have required a college degree whether or not it was necessary to do the job.

Is this because colleges are no longer teaching the needed skills, or because there are so many job openings to fill that standards are dropping? Could it be that vocational training and self-taught skills are enough for certain jobs in the modern-day economy?

IBM is now looking at candidates with experience in non-traditional education, such as coding boot camps or industry-related vocational classes.

Glassdoor compiled an August list of 15 big companies that no longer require a degree to apply:

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

Most people who end up in these jobs will be people with degrees. You get some people who can manage to gain the skills without going to a university. Hackers, for example.

This doesn't diminish a college degree.

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

It could have more to do with, outside of basic skills, companies would rather shape their employees from the ground up, instead of having to reshape them into something more useful or productive with less baggage than they are getting from college. It's always easier to train someone in the skills, focus and direction you require, than it is to retrain them because they happen to think their job includes crap it doesn't require.

Last edited:

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

You are correct that is huge.

I hope it is a growing trend.

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

Most people who end up in these jobs will be people with degrees. You get some people who can manage to gain the skills without going to a university. Hackers, for example.

I have a six figure income and very little college. But I do have a PhD in the best school out there....Liberals on the other hand, waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on degrees that can only get them in HATE FILLED PROPAGANDA MACHINES, and never learn about the "pursuit of happiness"....

always learning, never graduate, but the learning is very enlightening.

school-of-life.jpg

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

Well, this list is a little biased.

Most of these companies do not require large numbers of well trained people. Costco, Whole Foods, Starbucks, HomeDepot, Chipotle, Lowe's? VERY few jobs in these stores are what you would call 'sophisticated'.

I have long thought university is a waste of money unless you go for a degree in an area that requires one (like a doctor. lawyer, engineer, etc.).

I got a BS in Business. But what I learned in university taught me next to nothing for the real world of business.
Just look at the Federal Reserve? Loaded with people with THE best degrees you can find...and they still completely missed the housing crash until it was too late.

Fed missed warning signs in 2007 as crisis gained steam

Companies are starting to wave the degree requirements because the labor market is getting extremely tight.

Probably part of it. I certainly hope so.

And that is a good thing.

Even better if they realize that they never needed to have those requirements in the first place.

And others learn from it.

`
From the OP's article; "...looking at candidates with experience in non-traditional education, such as coding boot camps or industry-related vocational classes." If you have these skills, go for it.
`

That won't last for long. As soon as the economy goes south and they aren't putting signs up looking for talent, they will go back to demanding college degrees.

I have a six figure income and very little college. But I do have a PhD in the best school out there....Liberals on the other hand, waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on degrees that can only get them in HATE FILLED PROPAGANDA MACHINES, and never learn about the "pursuit of happiness"....

Again, I am very happy the government trained you in a skill so you aren't out there with a cardboard sign... but obviously, even a university can't fix your level of ignorance.

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

Because degrees are becoming worthless. Companies have found out that work experience in that field and skills they learned at previous jobs better prepare people for that job then a diploma.

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

Because degrees are becoming worthless. Companies have found out that work experience in that field and skills they learned at previous jobs better prepare people for that job then a diploma.
Well it depends on the job. If you don't have a 4 year degree in a math or science based curriculum you won't even get past the first resume screen at most technology, aerospace or defense companies. I agree there are other jobs in manufacturing, construction or service etc that experience and skills are considered more in hiring.

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

Well it depends on the job. If you don't have a 4 year degree in a math or science based curriculum you won't even get past the first resume screen at most technology, aerospace or defense companies. I agree there are other jobs in manufacturing, construction or service etc that experience and skills are considered more in hiring.

Employers in Business and Information Technology will see work experience and skills learned in previous jobs as way more valuable than a degree. This is particularly true in Programming, Networking, Database Administration, Systems Analyst, Computer Technician, and Business Analyst jobs. The degree is pretty much useless in these roles they want previous work experience and skills learned in previous jobs. They will hire a guy with no degree, but experience who has obtained these skills in previous jobs over a guy who has a college degree. The colleges often fail to teach these skills very well in a college curriculum and they are better learned on the job through years of experience.

There are a lot of jobs in Business where you don't need a Business degree and in fact they will hire more on previous work experience, skills learned, and previous job performance rather than if they have a college degree or not. I learned this lesson the hard way with an undergrad in Business, I found employers could care less about a degree in Business and for those kind of jobs they just wanted previous work experience and skills not the degree.

Yes maybe for heavy math or science careers the degree matters like Actuary, Engineer, Nurse, Doctor, but for many jobs it seems previous work experience and skills learned at previous jobs is all employers care about and they could care less if you have a degree or not.

Last edited:

Google

Ernst & Young

Penguin Random House

Costco Wholesale

Whole Foods

Hilton

Publix

Apple

Starbucks

Nordstrom

Home Depot

IBM

Bank of America

Chipotle

Lowe’s

always learning, never graduate, but the learning is very enlightening.

school-of-life.jpg

I have no doubt you have "very little college" I have a six figure life-time retirement, as well as life-time medical; I have an advanced degree and I retired at age 57.

Our two data points prove nil.

`
Computer programming/coding is becoming a trade. When companies outsource such things to India, for example, so long as the coding works, they don't care if the people who did it have four year degrees. Even now, US schools are teaching that stuff, at least the private schools I've sent my kids to. No, a four year degree never was necessary.
`

`
Computer programming/coding is becoming a trade. When companies outsource such things to India, for example, so long as the coding works, they don't care if the people who did it have four year degrees. Even now, US schools are teaching that stuff, at least the private schools I've sent my kids to. No, a four year degree never was necessary.
`
Computer programming is an enormous field touching nearly every industry in one form or another. There are segments of the field, gaming being an obvious example, where lack of a degree probably would not be a deal breaker. But based on my experience both working in software engineering and being part of the hiring process most companies still want college degreed candidates. They will typically reject resumes of non degreed persons straight away. Over the next 10 or 20 years that will probably change but based on what I know that is the way it is now for most companies.

Toro nailed it, extremely tight job market. The HR pricks will become elitist college snobs once the next recession hits. Although I support deemphasizing college degrees, I don't see it happening. The natural arc of progression is always up and to the right.

Yes, smart move conservatives. Stop sending your kids to college, but the Chinese, Asians, Indians and every other group on the rise will continue to send their kids to college. Good news is I am sure your children will be given the jobs they deserve, such as dishwasher and other jobs these immigrants groups do not want. Good thinking, Dumbasses.

Forum List

Back