College Degrees No Longer Needed for Jobs

Discussion in 'Economy' started by longknife, Sep 6, 2018.

1. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,453
    Again, I am very happy the government trained you in a skill so you aren't out there with a cardboard sign... but obviously, even a university can't fix your level of ignorance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Because degrees are becoming worthless. Companies have found out that work experience in that field and skills they learned at previous jobs better prepare people for that job then a diploma.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MarathonMike

MarathonMike Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,566
    Well it depends on the job. If you don't have a 4 year degree in a math or science based curriculum you won't even get past the first resume screen at most technology, aerospace or defense companies. I agree there are other jobs in manufacturing, construction or service etc that experience and skills are considered more in hiring.

4. ScorpioRising007

ScorpioRising007 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Employers in Business and Information Technology will see work experience and skills learned in previous jobs as way more valuable than a degree. This is particularly true in Programming, Networking, Database Administration, Systems Analyst, Computer Technician, and Business Analyst jobs. The degree is pretty much useless in these roles they want previous work experience and skills learned in previous jobs. They will hire a guy with no degree, but experience who has obtained these skills in previous jobs over a guy who has a college degree. The colleges often fail to teach these skills very well in a college curriculum and they are better learned on the job through years of experience.

There are a lot of jobs in Business where you don't need a Business degree and in fact they will hire more on previous work experience, skills learned, and previous job performance rather than if they have a college degree or not. I learned this lesson the hard way with an undergrad in Business, I found employers could care less about a degree in Business and for those kind of jobs they just wanted previous work experience and skills not the degree.

Yes maybe for heavy math or science careers the degree matters like Actuary, Engineer, Nurse, Doctor, but for many jobs it seems previous work experience and skills learned at previous jobs is all employers care about and they could care less if you have a degree or not.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  5. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,981
    Just attend the "School of Hard Knots"!

[​IMG]

I crack Me up sometimes.

:lmao:

6. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,019
    I have no doubt you have "very little college" I have a six figure life-time retirement, as well as life-time medical; I have an advanced degree and I retired at age 57.

Our two data points prove nil.

7. Windparadox

Windparadox Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,916
    `
    Computer programming/coding is becoming a trade. When companies outsource such things to India, for example, so long as the coding works, they don't care if the people who did it have four year degrees. Even now, US schools are teaching that stuff, at least the private schools I've sent my kids to. No, a four year degree never was necessary.
    `

8. MarathonMike

MarathonMike Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,566
    Computer programming is an enormous field touching nearly every industry in one form or another. There are segments of the field, gaming being an obvious example, where lack of a degree probably would not be a deal breaker. But based on my experience both working in software engineering and being part of the hiring process most companies still want college degreed candidates. They will typically reject resumes of non degreed persons straight away. Over the next 10 or 20 years that will probably change but based on what I know that is the way it is now for most companies.

9. Jomama

Jomama VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Toro nailed it, extremely tight job market. The HR pricks will become elitist college snobs once the next recession hits. Although I support deemphasizing college degrees, I don't see it happening. The natural arc of progression is always up and to the right.

10. Johnlaw

Johnlaw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,720
    Yes, smart move conservatives. Stop sending your kids to college, but the Chinese, Asians, Indians and every other group on the rise will continue to send their kids to college. Good news is I am sure your children will be given the jobs they deserve, such as dishwasher and other jobs these immigrants groups do not want. Good thinking, Dumbasses.