Colin Powell's New Book: War With Iraq Never Debated

I started a similar thread earlier, but I like this one better. Mustang gave it more passion.

It's just not a big fuckin' deal. You brain dead liberals are just frantic for things to take the heat off of our discussion of Obama's dismal record.

Bush did this...
Bush did that....
Bush neglected to do x,y,z....
Bush was bad...
The Republicans are bad...

The trouble is when Obama was on his magic carpet ride to the White House...there no serious debate about his qualifications! THAT was a fucking mistake.

For the sake of factual, non-partisan history - the whole truth must be exposed about "both" invasions of Iraq.

I started a similar thread earlier, but I like this one better. Mustang gave it more passion.

It's just not a big fuckin' deal. You brain dead liberals are just frantic for things to take the heat off of our discussion of Obama's dismal record.

Bush did this...
Bush did that....
Bush neglected to do x,y,z....
Bush was bad...
The Republicans are bad...

The trouble is when Obama was on his magic carpet ride to the White House...there no serious debate about his qualifications! THAT was a fucking mistake.

The night of Obama's inauguration, Republicans were plotting to bring down his presidency. You can't define that as "good". He hadn't even served a single day.

We must not allow this to be swept under the rug by righties trying desperately to revise and whitewash history. This issue requires full sunlight.

Does anybody (or everybody) see this admission as shocking; the merits of the life and death decision to go to war in Iraq wasn't even discussed at the highest levels of our gov't.

Everywhere in America (from kitchen tables to corporate boardrooms), important decisions are discussed and debated.
"Should we do X? Or should we do Y? What are our other options? What are the pros and cons of each possible choice? Is there any other way we could accomplish our goals with less risk and a lower cost in lives and treasure?
But our country just stumbled into a debacle, with apparently little, if any, thought being given to the consequences.

Frankly, I think our founding fathers would be appalled at the cavalier manner in which the decision was made and the haphazard way in which the plan was executed, seemingly with no real foresight into the possible hornet's nest we were stirring up.

WASHINGTON -- In his new book, former Secretary of State Colin Powell provides what may be the most authoritative confirmation yet that there was never a considered debate in the George W. Bush White House about whether going to war in Iraq was really a good idea.

In a chapter discussing what he calls his “infamous” February 2003 speech to the United Nations where he authoritatively presented what was later exposed as gross misinformation about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, Powell notes that by that time, war “was approaching.”

“By then, the President did not think war could be avoided,” Powell writes. “He had crossed the line in his own mind, even though the NSC [National Security Council] had never met -- and never would meet -- to discuss the decision.”

Not talking to the NSC is not not talking about it.

I find it impossible that Bush called everyone up and said we are going to war and it just happened.

sorry, it takes more than that, or Bush would have been fried sooner.

Does anybody (or everybody) see this admission as shocking; the merits of the life and death decision to go to war in Iraq wasn't even discussed at the highest levels of our gov't.

Everywhere in America (from kitchen tables to corporate boardrooms), important decisions are discussed and debated.
"Should we do X? Or should we do Y? What are our other options? What are the pros and cons of each possible choice? Is there any other way we could accomplish our goals with less risk and a lower cost in lives and treasure?
But our country just stumbled into a debacle, with apparently little, if any, thought being given to the consequences.

Frankly, I think our founding fathers would be appalled at the cavalier manner in which the decision was made and the haphazard way in which the plan was executed, seemingly with no real foresight into the possible hornet's nest we were stirring up.

WASHINGTON -- In his new book, former Secretary of State Colin Powell provides what may be the most authoritative confirmation yet that there was never a considered debate in the George W. Bush White House about whether going to war in Iraq was really a good idea.

In a chapter discussing what he calls his “infamous” February 2003 speech to the United Nations where he authoritatively presented what was later exposed as gross misinformation about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, Powell notes that by that time, war “was approaching.”

“By then, the President did not think war could be avoided,” Powell writes. “He had crossed the line in his own mind, even though the NSC [National Security Council] had never met -- and never would meet -- to discuss the decision.”

Not talking to the NSC is not not talking about it.

I find it impossible that Bush called everyone up and said we are going to war and it just happened.

sorry, it takes more than that, or Bush would have been fried sooner.

Were you there? Colin Powell was.

The lesson of all this, Powell writes, is to follow these guidelines: “Always try to get over failure quickly. Learn from it. Study how you contributed to it. If you are responsible for it, own up to it.”

But Powell didn’t exactly own up to this for years. His former chief of staff, Col. Larry Wilkerson, first went public in 2005 with details of a secret cabal led by the vice president which hijacked U.S. foreign policy and hoodwinked the president. Wilkerson also argued for years that there was never a formal decision to go to war. Powell conspicuously failed to back him up at the time.

So what does Wilkerson make of Powell’s conclusory lessons? “Powell’s rules are for everyone else,” he told HuffPost on Wednesday.

From the OP link. Interesting...

Adding to the thoughtful posts by Lakhota is this historical reference to the Bush Administration by former Wall Street Journal reporter Suskind adding more detail on how the Bush White House was run.

See: Bush Sought 'Way' To Invade Iraq? - CBS News

Those who seek to defend the Bush Administration by discounting the source or personal attacking O'Neil - as they have Powell - or anyone else are fools. Too much history was seen as a current event by many of us, so the usual fools whose failed attempts to rewrite history might as well move on, no one but other fools takes their 'idiotgrams' and ad hominem retorts as anything but the gibberish of a fool.

I'm not shocked because it was clear from the start that the decision was made within the administration and their issues had to do with how to sell that decision to Congress and the American public.

Powell's book just confirms what I believed all along.

Oh my the right has found another disgruntled employee to trash in an attempt to rationalize their historically failed ideas.

what a surprize.

this is why your party is dying

Colin Powell, the one black Republican Dems like only because he never had anything good to say about Republicans.

Fuck him

Oh, it's Mr. Niggerman hating the black guy. Why doesn't that surprise me?

Do you wake up in the morning saying:

If it bothers you that I quote your hero LBJ liberal use of the "n" word I suggest you get new heroes; and not Robert Byrd or Ted Kennedy either

Paul O'Neil was one they trashed to

huh?

paul_oneill_number_21_2.jpg

Remember when you guys trashed him for trying to get Bush to pay attention to OBL before 911?

Forum List

Back