Coke and Pepsi switched from sucrose to high fructose corn syrup in 1984.

Burgermeister

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2021
Most of the rest of the world doesn't use HFCS. This is the power of the Ag lobby in America. Killing us.

Example - Heinz Ketchup ingredients in Canada
TOMATO PASTE (MADE FROM FRESH RIPE TOMATOES), LIQUID SUGAR, WHITE VINEGAR, SALT, ONION POWDER, SPICES.

Heinz Ketchup ingredients in the U.S.
TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICE, ONION POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORING.

If you know when to stock up and where to shop, you can get Coke with sugar in the US.

(1) It's probably true: sugar (regardless of what kind) is a culprit in obesity and in many diseases.

(2) MODERATION is probably the answer. (This morning, I just ate six pieces of See's candy and a bowl of ice cream. Yes, I am ashamed of myself.)

Most of the rest of the world doesn't use HFCS. This is the power of the Ag lobby in America. Killing us.

TOMATO PASTE (MADE FROM FRESH RIPE TOMATOES), LIQUID SUGAR, WHITE VINEGAR, SALT, ONION POWDER, SPICES.

TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICE, ONION POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORING.

Soft drinks today are undrinkable, they're so sweet and disgusting. 1984 may have been the time they became so.
This is perhaps the only thing other countries do better than us. I had soft drinks in Canada and Europe, and they were much better. Not nearly as sweet.
Nutella is the same way. I had some from Germany, and it was fantastic. I can't eat American Nutella. It's far too sweet.

Of all of the things that are conspiring to kill me, this is at the bottom of the list.

I used to drink quite a bit of Pepsi, but the caffeine gives me negative side effects. So I drank decaffeinated Pepsi, with all the sugar. I haven't been able to find it in over a decade. So I drink decaf iced tea - lots of it.

Of all of the things that are conspiring to kill me, this is at the bottom of the list.

I used to drink quite a bit of Pepsi, but the caffeine gives me negative side effects. So I drank decaffeinated Pepsi, with all the sugar. I haven't been able to find it in over a decade. So I drink decaf iced tea - lots of it.
I also drink a lot of decaf iced tea (unsweetened). I used to drink a lot of coffee but then all the caffeine decided to build up and rebel against me. So now, I drink water, decaf diet sodas or lots of iced tea. I buy the containers of powder and make it by the cup and the container.

I also drink a lot of decaf iced tea (unsweetened). I used to drink a lot of coffee but then all the caffeine decided to build up and rebel against me. So now, I drink water, decaf diet sodas or lots of iced tea. I buy the containers of powder and make it by the cup and the container.
What did the caffeine do to you?

Cut sugar everywhere you can and read labels. I don't even put sugar in my coffee. Over 30 years at 2 cups a day that's almost 200 pounds of sugar I didn't ingest just from drinking black coffee.

If you really want to drink Coke, the Mexican version can be found in a lot of places in the US. It's made with sugar, no HFCS. It's only sold in glass bottles.

Cut sugar everywhere you can and read labels. I don't even put sugar in my coffee. Over 30 years at 2 cups a day that's almost 200 pounds of sugar I didn't ingest just from drinking black coffee.
I switched to black coffee early on because it's just so much easier. Waitresses can top it off without ruining the perfect milk/sugar ratio. Don't have to worry about Dunkin emptying an entire quart of milk in your coffee. Many benefits - plus the health thing.

What did the caffeine do to you?
At the beginning I just stopped sleeping. Then, if I had any, it not only kept me awake for days, but it gave me the shakes and the sweats and made my appetite limitless and I couldn't stop moving. Now, I can get away with a little, sometimes, but I really try to avoid it.

Sounds more like a business decision. Cutting costs.
I would expect coke, etc., to come out with sugar based products to appeal to the Whole Foods culture.

Here is a good summary of how different the ingredients in our food here in the US are different from other countries.

It's why the UK won't sign a trade deal with the US because the USA's food is dreadful and unhealthy. American's clichés is about British food, but American food is utter shit.

I made the change from drinking soda's two years ago.

I switched to more water, and "Simply Lemonade, Simply Cranberry Juice, and Simply Fruit Punch" There is no high fructose corn syrup in the Simply juice products.

I stoped eating all hamburger meats, chili meats, 20 years ago, I do not eat any pork products at all.

I'm left with eating chicken, fish, and every now and then T-bone steak (once every other month). The Holy Bible says do not eat any meats from the pig nor the hog, and no fish that does not have scales and fins. Twenty years ago I watched a documentary about "pink slime" and could no longer eat hamburger and chili meat products.

Forum List

Back