Coincidence my ass. When is our modern day Joe Mcarthy going to investigate this?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Seawytch, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Lawmakers reworked financial portfolios after talks with Fed, Treasury officials

In the days that followed, Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr. made frequent phone calls and visits to Boehner. Neither Paulson nor Boehner would publicly discuss the progress of their negotiations to shore up the nation’s financial portfolio.

On Jan. 23, Boehner (R-Ohio) met Paulson for breakfast. Boehner would later report the rearrangement of a portion of his own financial portfolio made on that same day. He sold between $50,000 and $100,000 from a more aggressive mutual fund and moved money into a safer investment.

The next day, the White House unveiled the stimulus package.

Boehner is one of 34 members of Congress who took steps to recast their financial portfolios during the financial crisis after phone calls or meetings with Paulson; his successor, Timothy F. Geithner; or Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke, according to a Washington Post examination of appointment calendars and congressional disclosure forms.

The lawmakers, many of whom held leadership positions and committee chairmanships in the House and Senate, changed portions of their portfolios a total of 166 times within two business days of speaking or meeting with the administration officials. The party affiliation of the lawmakers was about evenly divided between Democrats and Republicans, 19 to 15.[...]

Boehner, now the speaker of the House, declined to discuss his transactions. His spokesman said they did not pose a conflict because a financial adviser executed them and they were made in diversified mutual funds. Other lawmakers also said their financial advisers handled their trades. They said that the timing of the trades and the conversations was “coincidental” and that they did not adjust their portfolios based on what they were told by the administration officials.​

This is the crap that noted car thief and suspected arsonist Daryl Issa should be going after.

2. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME]Casablanca gambling? I'm shocked! - YouTube[/ame]

3. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,176
    What's to investigate?

Congress has excluded themselves from insider trading laws.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. salem.hills

salem.hills Right Winger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I heard that insider trading law didn't apply to them

5. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,768
    Reports are that there are about 15 members from each party involved in this.

Why you're focusing on just one member is beyond me. Having said that in he was also guilty of insider trading he does not deserve his post.

6. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    I'm not, the article did...probably because HE was the guy in talks with the Treasury Poo, Paulson. The article also mentioned 19 Dems and 15 Repubs. I want them all investigated. You?

7. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,768
    I'm not familiar with the laws regarding their activity so I can't really comment on what should happen. I think it should be illegal and if it is they should all be prosecuted.

8. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,768
    Your avatar is disgusting btw. And I'm not even a Christian.

9. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    At that time, they had no insider trader restrictions. Now they must publically post any changes, buys, trades, etc...within 30 days ? (I think it is)

This is a nonstory. unless we are going to retroactively punish people based on newer laws.

LOLberals dont even know the rules, they just want to throw a book at someone in their blind envy rage.

10. GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Don't you just love how Congress, on BOTH sides of the aisle, exempt themselves from that which they push upon the REST of us??