Coach Tice fired after Vikings/Cubs game...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
Although we finished 9-7 (thanks to Brad Johnson!) after a very rough start to the season, Tice is no longer the coach. This was rumored way back in even the pre-season. But it seemed to be just that. After Sunday's game, Tice got the axe. THANK GOD! He was no better if not worse than Denny "poopy butt" Green. Most here feel the same way mostly because he refused to put Brad in for QB even after Culpepper singlehandedly (practically) lost us 5 games in a row with his finesse at throwing interceptions and turnovers. Our pitiful offense didn't help either. It took an injury to Culpepper to get Brad in and salvage what was left of the season. Culpepper may have a good long ball, but Brad can at least get it to the end zone, AND he's been to and won a Super Bowl. IMO, Culpepper should have been 2nd string, not first as soon as we got Brad back.

Looks like Philadelphia offensive coordinator Brad Childress could be promising.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/159527.html

jimnyc said:
I wonder if Tice uses the whizzinator? :laugh:

nope. but it is rumored that he is nicknamed the 'scalper-nator'...

Childress was hired on as of yesterday. I thought this was a good move, until he stated he will be keeping Culpepper as 1st string...dammit, I thought we had someone for a coach who was actually smart. Now I am not sure I like this guy. Anyone can see Brad Johnson is 10x better than Culpepper, but for some reason, they just don't act on it.

quoting this article from the STrib... (emphases are mine) http://www.startribune.com/510/story/168837.html

...Culpepper is coming off his worst season. He threw 12 interceptions, six touchdown passes and went 2-5 as a starter before tearing three ligaments in his left knee during the seventh game of the season. Veteran Brad Johnson stepped in and went 7-2 as a starter. He threw 12 touchdown passes and only four interceptions in 294 passes.

Johnson, who signed a four-year deal before this season, indicated strongly that he wants to remain a starter in the NFL. Culpepper has limited his comments to the media since the injury, but head athletic trainer Chuck Barta said Culpepper is on pace to return in time for training camp.

Childress had not spoken to Culpepper or Johnson as of Friday afternoon.

It would appear that Johnson is more suited to direct the version of the West Coast offense that Childress will bring with him from Philadelphia. Childress will hire an offensive coordinator but will call his own plays, which is how Eagles head coach Andy Reid operates.

"Brad Johnson is a talented guy who won a lot of games this year," Childress said. "I'm familiar with him, and he knows this system. He knows the lingo I'm going to bring in here."

Childress, however, said he believes players shouldn't lose starting positions because of injury. It also doesn't make sense financially to bench Culpepper, one of the highest-paid players in the league. Culpepper also is due a $6 million bonus in March.

Childress said he believes Culpepper can succeed in the West Coast offense, which relies on short, precise passes rather than on the deep balls that landed Culpepper in three Pro Bowls.

Players should not lose starting positions because of injury, sure. But what about their actual playing record, especially recently?? And maybe even their behavior off-field?*cough*Love Boat scandal*cough*. Most of us would lose our jobs if we performed and behaved as badly as he did in the first 5 games, and really, the past few seasons.
As far as I am concerned, Daunte should be done playing forever.

fuzzykitten99 said:
nope. but it is rumored that he is nicknamed the 'scalper-nator'...

Childress was hired on as of yesterday. I thought this was a good move, until he stated he will be keeping Culpepper as 1st string...dammit, I thought we had someone for a coach who was actually smart. Now I am not sure I like this guy. Anyone can see Brad Johnson is 10x better than Culpepper, but for some reason, they just don't act on it.

quoting this article from the STrib... (emphases are mine) http://www.startribune.com/510/story/168837.html

Players should not lose starting positions because of injury, sure. But what about their actual playing record, especially recently?? And maybe even their behavior off-field?*cough*Love Boat scandal*cough*. Most of us would lose our jobs if we performed and behaved as badly as he did in the first 5 games, and really, the past few seasons.
As far as I am concerned, Daunte should be done playing forever.

Daunte had an insane season two years ago. If you're worried about conduct, I'd start with your running back corps...

The ClayTaurus said:
Daunte had an insane season two years ago. If you're worried about conduct, I'd start with your running back corps...
two years ago. That's in the past. I would say that his perfomance in the last few seasons should at least put him on the sidelines and just maybe he will get his act together. In the mean time, maybe next season Brad will get us off to the Super Bowl, and help us win for once. Because of the Vikings' sad record in their 4 super bowl trips, there is actually a steak named after them at Timberlodge, a local steakhouse chain. The description says "The Viking. After being beaten in four super bowls, its gotta be tender!"

contracts should be held to player performance under normal conditions.

and...that may be true with the running backs, but from what we are hearing recently, Daunte helped 1-2 other players organize the whole boat trip. If that is true, I think that alone should bench him for a while. An adult 'time out'...

Forum List

Back