CNN, MSNBC, and Fox, pay attention

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
When featuring a story segment about something tragic, important, or sad, don't end the segment and move into another segment, especially a trivial one. Just go to commercial then come back.

Watching CNN's coverage of the Muslim woman on United denied an unopened soda I was rather shocked they went from a major story about discrimination right into a segment about the Vanity Faire cover. Talk about grinding to a halt.

Other examples include criminal incidents involving dead people then going smoothly into something light-hearted or 'puff piecey.' How right does it seem to go from a story about kids dying in a house fire to a story on sports?

Just go to commercial and give people a few moments to decompress.

Is especially unfair to the poor anchors reading the teleprompter to go from some horrible story into some upbeat one when they have to act all enthusiastic about the new one. Makes em look disingenuous about their emotions regarding the sad one if they can instantly switch to a more upbeat emotionalism.

Not a big deal to me. They have to operate/manage a broadcast within certain time parameters and whatnot.

Commercials...broadcast block...commercials...broadcast block, and so on...

I understand that. I don't understand,

"Giant radioactive armadillos sweeping through Texas eating toddlers and preschoolers.

This month's Vanity Fair is out. Look who's on the cover!" (anchor smiles broadly)

VAMP

:)

Is especially unfair to the poor anchors reading the teleprompter to go from some horrible story into some upbeat one when they have to act all enthusiastic about the new one. Makes em look disingenuous about their emotions regarding the sad one if they can instantly switch to a more upbeat emotionalism.

They ARE disingenuous. The entire sordid business is disingenuous. It's entirely about milking audience for attention -- not in the least about news.

If there's any doubt at all about that check the transition here at 12:28:

It doesn't get any more starkly obvious. Gonna be hard to top that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back