CNBC: Paul Ryan wants to cut entitlements to trim the deficit

Cut the entitlements. Let the entitlement whores care for their own families...the way humans are supposed to do, and the way decent people do.
You are a government worker, yes? So you probably pay into a retirement plan rather than SS?
Or maybe you are eligible for both when you retire?
It's easy to talk about cutting other people's funds off, isn't it?

Yes it sure as shit is. I work and I save, and I care for my family financially, physically, and in every other possible way. That includes children, grandchildren, and my elderly mother and brother. I will be just fine without social security. I will be just fine without my pension..because my children will care for me. That is the way a decent family operates, and it is the way my family has always operated.

None of my grandparents died in nursing homes, nor will my mother. We have never been concerned with social security. My grandparents and my father did not work in traditional jobs (self employed) and my grandparents were among the first generations that received social security..they had not paid into it and what they received per month was not what they lived on. They lived on their gardens and their vocations, and when they were older, their children provided them with homes.

Get rid of the entitlements. They aren't needed. Communities and families will care for their people happily..and people will take care of themselves easily when the government drag is removed. The only group that doubts this is the huge population of worthless entitlement networks that were created by these wonderful *entitlements*. Get rid of the entitlements, put the crazies and the criminals in prison, and let's get on with life.

My wife and I have my parents living with us, they are in their 90's, my wife quit her job so she could take care of them full time. When our friends or family are in need we are there for each other.

It used to be communities would take care of their own, some how we lost that and now expect government to do that for us. All three of our remaining children have told us that we don't need to worry about what the future holds as they will take care of us as long as they need to.

Family and friends and relationships that you build and nourish is a better solution than the government trying to decide what is best for everyone.

That's great if it's available to you. My parents are in their mid 80's and I don't know what we'd do with them for long-term care. I have to work to survive, my sister has to work to survive, so what would we do?
You bring them into your house and you do the best you can.
You need to pull your head out of the "the state cares for people if nobody else will" mentality and you shoulder the burden.

Okay, so you bring them into your home and then what? Leave for work in the morning when they need to be fed, changed and looked after?

If I don't bring home a paycheck, they turn my utilities off and foreclose on my home. That doesn't solve anything.

How do you people think the elderly were cared for BEFORE social security?

See, this is the problem with an entitlement. People stop thinking and get dependent, and they start to view the government as their savior. Get over it.

It wasn't as much of a problem then because most people never made it to SS age. Today, once you do hit that age, you could live another 20 or 30 years. Unless you saved a hell of a lot of money, what would you do then?

Poll after poll shows Americans overwhelmingly want to keep SS and Medicare. The only way to do that is to properly fund it. That would mean at least doubling the Medicare contributions of working people and at least a 50% increase in SS contributions.

It's the only way.
Nonsense. People *back then* had elderly and disabled family members, just as they do now. It wasn't *an issue* because people took care of their own families. When they didn't, local communities and churches did it.

It's only an *issue* now because we've created the issue, by creating this huge population of people who are unfit, and refusing to lodge them in nuthouses and prisons, where they BELONG... before they can breed.

And we get people like you. Who thinks that it's the place of the government to take care of your elderly parents because you don't want to be burdened by them and you certainly don't want to have to pay for them.

Nauseating.

You are a government worker, yes? So you probably pay into a retirement plan rather than SS?

Yes it sure as shit is. I work and I save, and I care for my family financially, physically, and in every other possible way. That includes children, grandchildren, and my elderly mother and brother. I will be just fine without social security. I will be just fine without my pension..because my children will care for me. That is the way a decent family operates, and it is the way my family has always operated.

None of my grandparents died in nursing homes, nor will my mother. We have never been concerned with social security. My grandparents and my father did not work in traditional jobs (self employed) and my grandparents were among the first generations that received social security..they had not paid into it and what they received per month was not what they lived on. They lived on their gardens and their vocations, and when they were older, their children provided them with homes.

Get rid of the entitlements. They aren't needed. Communities and families will care for their people happily..and people will take care of themselves easily when the government drag is removed. The only group that doubts this is the huge population of worthless entitlement networks that were created by these wonderful *entitlements*. Get rid of the entitlements, put the crazies and the criminals in prison, and let's get on with life.

My wife and I have my parents living with us, they are in their 90's, my wife quit her job so she could take care of them full time. When our friends or family are in need we are there for each other.

It used to be communities would take care of their own, some how we lost that and now expect government to do that for us. All three of our remaining children have told us that we don't need to worry about what the future holds as they will take care of us as long as they need to.

Family and friends and relationships that you build and nourish is a better solution than the government trying to decide what is best for everyone.

That's great if it's available to you. My parents are in their mid 80's and I don't know what we'd do with them for long-term care. I have to work to survive, my sister has to work to survive, so what would we do?
You need to pull your head out of the "the state cares for people if nobody else will" mentality and you shoulder the burden.

Okay, so you bring them into your home and then what? Leave for work in the morning when they need to be fed, changed and looked after?

If I don't bring home a paycheck, they turn my utilities off and foreclose on my home. That doesn't solve anything.
Like NightFox, Koshergirl believes that the way SHE handles things must work for everyone. If you don't stay home and take care of Ma and Pa like the Waltons, you are a worthless piece of mooching shit.
The hubris is unbelievable.
Pay her no mind.

Both of your parents require 24/hour attendance?

Very few people need that. But you know, you do what you have to. You and the rest of your household adjust your hours where you can. Maybe you adjust your JOB to accommodate your new responsibilities.

Like NightFox, Koshergirl believes that the way SHE handles things must work for everyone. If you don't stay home and take care of Ma and Pa like the Waltons, you are a worthless piece of mooching shit.
Pay her no mind.

Actually, I don't believe that.

What I believe is that people who look to the state to take care of their families are losers.

Pay her no mind.
She is certifiable. LOL Medicaid's biggest costs are in the final two years or so of people's lives.

"It's only an *issue* now because we've created the issue, by creating this huge population of people who are unfit, and refusing to lodge them in nuthouses and prisons, where they BELONG... before they can breed."

BUT, McConnell should have told Trump that taxes were a priority before Obamacare. And then cut the corp rate in one bill that paid for the cuts by repealing tax gimmicks for biz, and even if it still raised deficits, you could argue that it also gave biz reasons to expand by letting them depreciate capital investment faster.

And then come back with a second bill that actually left more money with consumers, and set out a parameter to raise social security and mediocre revenue from the people who primarily benefited from higher corporate profits. And raise the retirement age - again - gradually.

Pay her no mind.
She is certifiable. LOL Medicaid's biggest costs are in the final two years or so of people's lives.

"It's only an *issue* now because we've created the issue, by creating this huge population of people who are unfit, and refusing to lodge them in nuthouses and prisons, where they BELONG... before they can breed."

BUT, McConnell should have told Trump that taxes were a priority before Obamacare. And then cut the corp rate in one bill that paid for the cuts by repealing tax gimmicks for biz, and even if it still raised deficits, you could argue that it also gave biz reasons to expand by letting them depreciate capital investment faster.

And then come back with a second bill that actually left more money with consumers, and set out a parameter to raise social security and mediocre revenue from the people who primarily benefited from higher corporate profits. And raise the retirement age - again - gradually.

Completely irrelevant.

Pay her no mind.

Completely irrelevant.

To you, I certainly hope so. LOL

Pay her no mind.

Completely irrelevant.

To you, I certainly hope so. LOL
It means you didn't make a point. Where the costs are has nothing to do with whether or not the program should be dismantled. Where the costs are directed has nothing to do with whether or not people are able to care for their own families.

All these entitlements are nothing but circle jerks. They start paying them out..then claim the need is there because they're paying them out.

It's a racket. Like everything that progressive losers defend.

Cutting services people paid for their whole life?
Why dont that corporatist asshole start with corporate welfare?
social security was a bad thing back when it was introduced and it is a bad thing today. It is a ponzi scheme. do those actually work? do you know if they do or don't?
I am against SS. However, cutting it when people have paid for it? I can think of 1000 other things to start with.
but they won't cut those who get it, they will stop it for the 50 under crowd. Haven't you been paying attention over the last two years? capped and redirected for only those under 50 something. ONLY!!!!!

That is one of several things that have been talked about along with Ryan's wet dream of privatizing SS.

Pay her no mind.

You actually have a plan! Good for you!

Pay her no mind.

You actually have a plan! Good for you!

Actually, I recall Trump saying he'd lock the dems and gopers up until they hammered out something. (-:

Pay her no mind.

That all sounds fine and dandy except for the fact not everybody can work later in life to collect.

The people that suggest raising the retirement age are those who are standing in front of a television camera or behind a radio microphone.

But ask yourself, would you really want to see a 67 year old man struggling to dump your garbage cans? Would you like to see a 66 year old roofer climb up three stories on a ladder with a stack of roof shingles on his shoulder? Or perhaps a bricklayer laborer pushing a wheelbarrow full of cement 500 feet to a job site?

There are just some jobs that people do where they can barely make it to 62 or 65 now. Or even my job for instance. Would you want to be the car in front of my 75,000 lbs tractor-trailer when I'm 70 years old and traffic comes to a sudden stop?

A one size fits all solution only looks good on paper, but it's not reality.

Pay her no mind.

That all sounds fine and dandy except for the fact not everybody can work later in life to collect.

The people that suggest raising the retirement age are those who are standing in front of a television camera or behind a radio microphone.

But ask yourself, would you really want to see a 67 year old man struggling to dump your garbage cans? Would you like to see a 66 year old roofer climb up three stories on a ladder with a stack of roof shingles on his shoulder? Or perhaps a bricklayer laborer pushing a wheelbarrow full of cement 500 feet to a job site?

There are just some jobs that people do where they can barely make it to 62 or 65 now. Or even my job for instance. Would you want to be the car in front of my 75,000 lbs tractor-trailer when I'm 70 years old and traffic comes to a sudden stop?

Agreed, there is no easy fix to be sure!

Both of your parents require 24/hour attendance?

Very few people need that. But you know, you do what you have to. You and the rest of your household adjust your hours where you can. Maybe you adjust your JOB to accommodate your new responsibilities.

Not at all. My parents are doing just fine. Of course they have their medical problems, but still going strong.

However I can't help but to think about what could very well happen in the near future at their age, and of course, it worries me a bit. If either of my parents did need round the clock care, there is no way I can work 50 hours a week and care for them at the same time. There is no adjustment to make. It simply can't be done.

Like me, my sister is also single and the only one living in her home. She too has bills to pay like mortgage and college loans for her kids. There is no way she could stay home and take care of them either.

I think many Americans are in the same position. There are very few households today where a single income earner can support a stay at home family. Most everybody works today bringing in two incomes.

Pay her no mind.

Koshergirl and I are friends and we are each entitled to our opinion. But her solution was more common about 40 or 50 years ago where single-income families were common. Somebody was always home. Back then it was understandable how families could take care of each other.

It's less of a reality today because of the society we created. People who know me know that I love animals, and question me as to why I don't get a dog? I can't take care of a dog. I'm not home enough to do so, and the animal would only suffer holding it's bodily fluids in all day waiting for me to get home. I would love to own a dog, but it's only possible if I don't mind seeing an animal suffer five days a week.

If I can't even have a pet for my own because I'm not home to take care of it, I'm sure as hell not in any position to take care of a human.

Pay her no mind.

You are asking that a program designed to keep the aged from indigency be a disability program.

It wasn't any different in 1980 before the age was raised before. Some guy works on an autoline for 20 years literally slinging car doors is done by 50. Jobs don't account for that anymore.

Pay her no mind.

How is ANY of that relevant????

It's the same old same old.."If you cut the money flow old people will be killed/die/suffer!" Bullshit. If you cut the money flow, their worthless children will step up to the plate.

Source: CNBC.COM
Paul Ryan wants to cut entitlements to trim the deficit, but political reality stands in his way

"Ryan views tax cuts as a policy to spur economic growth — no matter what the state of the federal budget. An increase in the deficit, which mainstream economists consider a certainty, is beside the point.

Rising debt, in fact, strengthens his zeal for his preferred deficit-reduction policy. That policy is to reduce spending by shrinking the size and scope of government that Democratic political initiatives have built.

In particular, Ryan wants to curb spending on the giant "entitlement" programs of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. "How you tackle the debt and the deficit," the speaker declared recently, is by "entitlement reform."

Democratic presidents saw those programs as a means of preventing destitution and medical calamity among senior citizens, the disabled and the poor. More than any other contemporary Republican leader, Ryan represents the philosophical tradition that opposed their creation in the first place."

Finally a congress critter saying something that I can fully support, of course the chances of federal entitlement spending reduction actually happening are somewhere between slim and none, but I'll give 'em credit if they stick to their stated principles instead of just doing the usual political sell-out.

"Thus the speaker has supported partial privatization of Social Security, conversion of Medicare to a "premium support" program for purchase of private insurance, and per-beneficiary Medicaid limits that would reduce federal spending by hundreds of billions of dollars. In opposing the 2010 Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction report, which called for both tax hikes and spending limits, he explained, "Increasing the government's take from the economy hinders growth."

Getting federal entitlement spending under control is LONG overdue and above are 3 ideas that represent a good start and worthy of serious consideration.

May the force be with you Mr. Ryan.
Interest on the debt is one of the biggest "entitlements" which should be eliminated.

How do you people think the elderly were cared for BEFORE social security?

See, this is the problem with an entitlement. People stop thinking and get dependent, and they start to view the government as their savior. Get over it.

They lived in state and local poor houses.

Forum List

Back