C'mon Mr. Trump.

Windship

VIP Member
May 27, 2014
I say things like...I see where Trump has come from and how he got there. Trump IS the 1% but Im in no way hoping he will fail. What really concerns me is this fact: For Mr. Trump to make America great again, he would have to go aginst everything that made him wealthy. I just doesnt make sense...unless he's telling the truth. I am so, so hoping he holds his promises. When I see events such as this, my sinocism and dout, the mistrust just begins to erode:
Trump Cites Progress in Keeping Carrier Air Conditioning Plant in Indiana

By NELSON D. SCHWARTZNOV. 24, 2016

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
  • Donald J. Trump said Thursday that he had reached out to the Carrier air conditioner company in Indiana to ask it not to move more than 2,000 factory jobs from Indiana to Mexico.

In a post on Twitter Thursday morning, Mr. Trump said: “I am working hard, even on Thanksgiving, trying to get Carrier A.C. Company to stay in the U.S. (Indiana). MAKING PROGRESS - Will know soon!”

Follow
    Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

I am working hard, even on Thanksgiving, trying to get Carrier A.C. Company to stay in the U.S. (Indiana). MAKING PROGRESS - Will know soon!

During both the primary and general election campaigns, Mr. Trump frequently cited the February decision by Carrier and its corporate parent, United Technologies, to close two Indiana factories and move production to Mexico as an example of how Nafta and other free-trade agreements had failed American workers.

In a recent New York Times article, workers at one plant in Indianapolis warned that they would withdraw their support for Mr. Trump if he did not keep his promise to bring back overseas jobs.

The two plants — a Carrier factory employing more than 1,400 workers in Indianapolis and a United Technologies plant with 700 employees in Huntington — are profitable, but pay workers $15 to $26 an hour — about what the company’s workers in Monterrey, Mexico, earn in a day.

Photo
    25Carrier2-blog427.jpg

“Everyone is posting about it on Facebook and there’s a lot of excitement,” said Paul Roell, a Carrier worker in Indianapolis. President-elect Donald Trump posted on Twitter Thursday that he had reached out to Carrier Corporation about a plant closing.CreditWhitten Sabbatini for The New York Times
    In a time of slow economic growth and intense pressure from Wall Street to improve profits, moving production south of the border seemed like too good of an opportunity for United Technologies’ executives to pass up.

However, a shaky video of the announcement on the Carrier factory floor — and the furious reaction of workers — went viral in February. It caught Mr. Trump’s attention, prompting a furor throughout the campaign.

In a tweet Thursday after Mr. Trump’s tweet, Carrier confirmed that the president-elect had reached out, but refused to say what steps, if any, management was now considering.

“Carrier has had discussions with the incoming administration and we look forward to working together,” the company said. “Nothing to announce at this time.”

Follow
    Carrier @Carrier

Carrier has had discussions with the incoming administration and we look forward to working together. Nothing to announce at this time.

For workers in Indianapolis, the Twitter exchange provided a ray of hope on an otherwise anxious Thanksgiving holiday.

“Everyone is posting about it on Facebook and there’s a lot of excitement,” said Paul Roell, who has worked at Carrier for 17 years and was an enthusiastic supporter of Mr. Trump in the election.

Photo
    25carrier3-master675.jpg

Jennifer Shanklin-Hawkins, who works at Carrier, was skeptical that Donald Trump could reverse a decision to close the Indianapolis plant: “I could see him reaching out to Carrier, but I don’t think anything will happen.”CreditWhitten Sabbatini for The New York Times
    “I’m a little more optimistic now,” he said. “Others are saying, let’s see if he’s really going to do this.”

“I was very surprised to see it on Thanksgiving today,” Mr. Roell added. “I figured he’d be like everyone else today, with his family, not thinking of Carrier.”

Earlier in the week, Indiana state officials had come to the factory to describe what benefits workers could expect as layoffs approach, Mr. Roell said. The first production lines are expected to shut down in August 2017.

“If he can get them to stay here, I’m all for it,” said Robin Maynard, a Trump supporter. “I’m hoping he can get stuff done and also save me from having to look for a new job.”

Other workers, especially those who did not support Mr. Trump in the election, were more skeptical.

“It’s baloney,” said Jennifer Shanklin-Hawkins, who has worked at Carrier for a decade and a half and earns over $21 an hour, well above what similar blue-collar jobs pay in the area.

“I could see him reaching out to Carrier, but I don’t think anything will happen,” said Ms. Shanklin-Hawkins, who added that she “reluctantly” voted for Hillary Clinton this month. “He can try and talk to them, and it’s good that he mentioned it, but I think Carrier will still leave.”

Last edited:
I say thing like...I see where Trump has come from and how he got there. Trump IS the 1% but Im in no way hoping he will fail.

Trump could make the 1% part of the 99%. Look what Obama has done for the poor.

You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. Idiot.

King Trumpery steals property and, during the campaign stated he wanted to make it easier to steal more. He's as stupid as you are though, so has no idea what Article 5 is.

I say thing like...I see where Trump has come from and how he got there. Trump IS the 1% but Im in no way hoping he will fail.

Trump could make the 1% part of the 99%. Look what Obama has done for the poor.

You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. Idiot.

King Trumpery steals property and, during the campaign stated he wanted to make it easier to steal more. He's as stupid as you are though, so has no idea what Article 5 is.
Oh Dudley Luddite......

What regulations do you think Trump will abolish to keep carrier here? I hope it's the EPAs fugitive emissions standards....

IT would be something if he was able to persuade Carrier to stay in the US. The fact that Trump is personally reaching put to them is very encouraging. Where was Obama? Obviously, he doesn't care.

Thank you for your efforts, Mr. President Elect.

There are a TON of Obama-imposed regulations that are choking our businesses / economy I hope Trump eliminates.

Obama just set the US record for most regulations signed in ONE DAY.

After existing for over 200 years you would think every regulation needed would have been imposed by now...evidently not.

There are a TON of Obama-imposed regulations that are choking our businesses / economy I hope Trump eliminates.

After existing for over 200 years you would think every regulation needed would have been imposed by now...evidently not.

You mean the rich might not get as rich as fast due to regulations. I'm sorry we have one earth, unless you know of another one. Screw his golf course, I say let the windmills flow. Most on this board, maybe all would not even be able to afford to golf on his courses.

You mean the rich might not get as rich as fast due to regulations. I'm sorry we have one earth, unless you know of another one. Screw his golf course, I say let the windmills flow. Most on this board, maybe all would not even be able to afford to golf on his courses.
I enjoy Trumps golf courses....he's very good to the earth....

Good for you:
The Death of Golf

I'm sure they are as big a money maker for him as his half empty buildings.

Good for you:
The Death of Golf

You too poor to have played one?

Good for you:
The Death of Golf

You too poor to have played one?
I have never been interested in golf.

Carrier said no regulations from Wash involved in decision to move, lower wages was:

Gov. Mike Pence on Friday said news that a Carrier plant in Indianapolis and a United Technologies Electronic Controls plant in Huntington would close was “disappointing” but ultimately said Washington was to blame—a sentiment echoed by Connecticut-based UTC in its initial statement.

“While our administration continues to foster an environment within the state that is attracting record investment, federal regulations continue to stymie our national economy,” Pence said in a written statement. “The fact that these companies are leaving the United States speaks broadly about the need for reform in our nation’s capital.”

snip

Donnelly said he asked Carrier executive Chris Nelson to cite the specific regulatory issue.

“He couldn’t tell me a single regulation that was causing him any issue,” Donnelly said Friday. “The only discrepancy so far is on the fact that the minimum wage in Mexico is $4.19 a day. It’s certainly not that they’re not making money and they’re not succeeding. What they’re trying to do is to sell heating and ventilation products to [Americans] but aren’t willing to pay those same wages to the people who build the products.“

The average wage for union members at the Indianapolis plant is about $23 an hour.

Officials point fingers on Carrier, UTEC layoffs | 2016-02-12 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

We need regs to save our environment, water, land and air. our planet.

Forum List

Back