Closed Border Causing True Hardships for the People of Gaza

Jun 10, 2013
While tensions rise in various parts of the Middle East, we should not forget about the problems of the people of Gaza, who are suffering due to a blockade that keeps vital supplies from reaching the territory.

The biggest current issue is a shortage of gas. In scenes that remind one of the U.S. gas crisis of the 1970s, Gaza's residents are having a difficult time finding fuel. As one resident, Munzil Yaziji, stated: “I have been waiting for seven hours and I have not even been able to fill my tank with gas yet. I came yesterday as well and waited the whole day, yet my turn never came. I provide for my family with this van. I transport students to schools and take them for trips.”

Strict border controls also impact the movement of people. As Abu Sobha, head of the Gaza Border Agency, noted, in a few days, the number of people stuck in Gaza will reach tens of thousands, including college students, medical patients and workers, such as an Algerian medical group and the Kramich band for children, in addition to those on family vacations

The situation extends beyond these issues. The public-relations manager at the Environmental Quality Authority, Iyad al-Qatarawi, said that the gas crisis threatens to halt 190 oil wells that provide for most of the citizens of Gaza and 57 stations for collecting sewage and pumping it into the sea or other regions. He warned of a nearing environmental crisis due to the accumulation of sewage, in addition to the near shutdown of four water-treatment plants that dump into the sea, which would lead to serious pollution on the coast. He also noted that if the dump trucks, which transport 1,500 tons of waste to the dumps every day from all over Gaza, stop functioning, the waste will stay in the streets. The spokesman for the Ministry of Health, Ashraf al-Koudra, warned of potential health catastrophes if the crisis continues. Only 20% of the ministry’s gas reserves remain, not enough for even a week.

Clearly, Israel must be held accountable for causing such a crisis!

Wait a minute... what was that you said?

Its not Israel that is causing this problem?

Well, no... the flow of Israeli gas into Gaza has not been reduced at all.

This crisis is the result of Egypt's closing of the Rafah crossing in light of its recent internal strife.

Israel, routinely accused of racist, Apartheid actions designed to promote an "ethnic cleansing" of the "occupied territories" is providing Gaza with gas.

Egypt, Gaza's Arab brothers, are not.

Footnote: the source of the quotes above is linked in Coyote's response below.

Last edited:
This is a good example of a situation that is complex but dishonestly being portrayed as a simplistic "everyone picks on Israel" narrative isn't it?

This article provides a bit more information:
Fuel Crisis Threatens Gaza After Egypt Border Closure - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

First, it's interesting to note that no one is blaming Israel for this particular situation, and second - that the situation seems to be compounded by the fact that Israeli gas is more expensive than Egyption gas.

At the Terzi gas station, not far from the first station, there are no cars. This station sells Israeli gas, which continues to flow into the Gaza Strip. Amjad al-Achkar, the station owner, explained to Al-Monitor that Egyptian gas became scarce around a month ago. Currently, the cars are using Israeli gas, which is more expensive than Egyptian gas: one liter of the former costs six shekels ($1.64), while one liter of the latter costs four shekels ($1.09).

That's a good bit more expensive for a region with an ustable and marginal economy which is why I suspect that the cutting off of Egypt's gas is provoking such a crisis.

And, look here - at a blatently pro-Pali site - who's getting blamed? Those nasty Egyptions who are conducting a "seige" ;)

• Banned
Of course Israeli gas is more expensive. That's not a political issue, its simple supply and demand economics. Egypt has greater access to gas supplies and, consequently, the price of their gas is lower.

The only thing that is dishonest is the suggestion that the plight of the people of Gaza falls on Israel's shoulders. Despite the strong need for security-based restrictions on the types of products and materials that enter Gaza, there is a constant flow of necessary supplies from Israel into Gaza. The Arabs nonetheless will cry that Israel is causing poverty in Gaza, while their own border with the territory (through Egypt) remains closed.

Last edited:
Of course Israeli gas is more expensive. That's not a political issue, its simple supply and demand economics. Egypt has greater access to gas supplies and, consequently, the price of their gas is lower.

The only thing that is dishonest is the suggestion that the plight of the people of Gaza falls on Israel's shoulders. Despite the strong need for security-based restrictions on the types of products and materials that enter Gaza, there is a constant flow of necessary supplies from Israel into Gaza. The Arabs nonetheless will cry that Israel is causing poverty in Gaza, while their own border with the territory (through Egypt) remains closed.

So who is making the dishonest claim that this particular situation is Israel's fault?:eusa_eh:

So who is making the dishonest claim that this particular situation is Israel's fault?:eusa_eh:

Anyone with at least 3 functioning neurons.

90% of Gaza's population wouldn't even be living there if the region hadn't been turned into an arab Bantustan 65 years ago by you know who, surrounded with electric fences, walls and patrolled by soldiers with orders to shoot any trespasser.

They still do not want to live there but are prevented from leaving the racial enclave by "the beacon of democracy in the Middle East", you and millions of brainwashed americans have fallen in love with.

José;7505988 said:

90% of Gaza's population wouldn't even be living there if the region hadn't been turned into an arab Bantustan 65 years ago by you know who, surrounded with electric fences, walls and patrolled by soldiers with orders to shoot any trespasser.

They still do not want to live there but are prevented from leaving the racial enclave by "the beacon of democracy in the Middle East", you and millions of brainwashed americans have fallen in love with.

You really believe that if the Gazans wanted to leave Israel wouldn't let them? Are you slow or something? If the Gazans wanted to leave (as long as it's not to Israel), the Israelis would pay for the plane tix!

José;7505988 said:

Actually, we're talking about this particular situation ...

Originally posted by GHook93
You really believe that if the Gazans wanted to leave Israel wouldn't let them? Are you slow or something? If the Gazans wanted to leave (as long as it's not to Israel), the Israelis would pay for the plane tix!

Yeah, I don't doubt you for a second, Mr. SmartAss :doubt: :doubt:

José;7505988 said:

Why, Yousef (AKA José), didn't some of the Egyptian officials say not too long ago that the Gazans should come home to Egypt? No doubt before this current unrest, the Egyptians would have left the crossing wide open for those Gazans who wanted to return home to Egypt. Of course, Yousef neglects to tell us how come those who travel far from their homes to get refuge in Israel are shot in the back by the Egyptians. Why do they do that, Yousef? By the way, on another USMessageBoard forum some convert to Islam is blaming the CIA and Mossad for being behind the current troubles in Egypt. Sounds like the Prime Minister of Turkey saying it is the Jews behind the protestors in Turkey.

Well... it would seem that Jose, for one, is.

Are you under the delusion that he's the only one who thinks this way, or are you ready to face that some people ALWAYS blame Israel?

Last edited:

Are you under the delusion that he's the only one who thinks this way, or are you ready to face that some people ALWAYS blame Israel?

I've never claimed that there aren't some people who ALWAYS blame Israel, just as there are some people who ALWAYS exonerate Israel.:cool:

I've never claimed that there aren't some people who ALWAYS blame Israel, just as there are some people who ALWAYS exonerate Israel.:cool:

I don't know anyone who always exonerates Israel. :confused:

And there are some people who always blame Israel or even worldwide Jewry. Just like there are some who blame Muslims and a worldwide extremist Islamaphobia just like the attack on Judaism and Zionism.

So there needs to be some form of neutrality to see who is blaming what.

Otherwise the sides have already been chosen and discussion becomes rather limited to quid pro quo philosophy and which then usually degenerates into name calling and denial of facts. Anyone can post diatribe. It's all over the net and lies abound.

That's why it's necessary to see both sides.

imho

And that's why I don't come down here all that much.

It's too one sided. Both sides are far too one sided for me and I'm the guy that confronted both Marc39 and JStone for his one sided retorts and threads. Just like I confronted the other sides spammers and discussion killers.

I don't know anyone who always exonerates Israel. :confused:

Think about what is posted here :)

Think about what is posted here :)

Don't be coy. If you are accusing me of always exonerating Israel, you are simply incorrect. If you are accusing someone else, specify who you are referring to.

Where have you specifically criticized Israel for wrong doing?

Oh, I see what your problem is. You think that the things that I've posted here represent the sum total of all comments I've ever made about Israel, Israelis and Jews.

You are incorrect.

My posts here are decidedly pro-Israel, no doubt. There is a reason for that. My purpose in posting here is to oppose the pro-Palestinian/anti-Israel propaganda machine that exists on the internet. In other words, I'm here to support Israel.

That does not mean I agree with every thing that Israel, Israelis or Jews do (far from it). But I'm not here to add to support those who highlight Israel's flaws.

Don't be coy. If you are accusing me of always exonerating Israel, you are simply incorrect. If you are accusing someone else, specify who you are referring to.

Where have you specifically criticized Israel for wrong doing?

Oh, I see what your problem is. You think that the things that I've posted here represent the sum total of all comments I've ever made about Israel, Israelis and Jews.

You are incorrect.

I'm absolutely incorrect.

However - that's all we can judge you on and, for that manner what you can judge others on here.

My posts here are decidedly pro-Israel, no doubt. There is a reason for that. My purpose in posting here is to oppose the pro-Palestinian/anti-Israel propaganda machine that exists on the internet. In other words, I'm here to support Israel.

So you are here to support the Pro-Israeli/anti-Palestinian propaganda machine then?:eusa_eh:

That does not mean I agree with every thing that Israel, Israelis or Jews do (far from it). But I'm not here to add to support those who highlight Israel's flaws.

Yet you are quick to label others, no? :dunno:

However - that's all we can judge you on and, for that manner what you can judge others on here.

I don't really care what your judgment of me is, though. I post facts and opinions based upon those facts. How people react is up to them.

So you are here to support the Pro-Israeli/anti-Palestinian propaganda machine then?:eusa_eh:

Yes and no. In the purest sense and most basic definition of the word, I suppose my posts could be called "propaganda." However, the term has taken on a pejorative meaning, and is understood to be the promotion of a viewpoint through lies, distortions and half-truths. In this respect, I do not engage in propaganda, though I do combat it.

Yet you are quick to label others, no? :dunno:

Well, in some cases, the labels are self-evident. People who use terms like "Nazi," "Apartheid," "racist," or "ethinic cleansing" in reference to Israel, Zionists and Jews in general are pretty easy to "label."

Forum List

Back