Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools
Violence: President also earmarks money for child-counseling programs. GOP critics say youth problems should be addressed at home.
April 16, 2000|LAWRENCE L. KNUTSON | ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON — Marking the first anniversary of the shooting deaths at Columbine High School, President Clinton announced $120 million in new federal grants Saturday to place more police officers in schools and help even the youngest kids cope with their problems.

"In our national struggle against youth violence we must not fail our children; our future depends on it," the president said in his weekly radio address.

....​

Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools - Los Angeles Times

Who knew Bill Clinton and the NRA agreed?

:lol:

And this makes this any less of a stupid idea... because?
Personally, it's a stupid idea to have the feds involved. Schools are locally governed. If the folks in the district want armed guards or cops at the school, that's their say and no one else's. The district where I live has anywhere from one cop (not a rent-a-cop) to four at each school, depending on size.

It's a huge district, too. Somehow we have yet to have a school massacre. And, to the best of my recollection, I have no knowledge of a single shooting fatality (or shooting) at any of our schools since we have cops there.

Funny how that works.

Hmmmm.

School cops are fine, but what will we do to protect the rest of society, shootings occur in more places than just schools and children are still at risk.

School cops are fine, but what will we do to protect the rest of society, shootings occur in more places than just schools and children are still at risk.
Yup. Humans are the single most lethal animals on the face of the earth. I don't kid myself that I will be safe from another human at any time.

Look at Virginia Tech...they had their own police force, but still many kids died. Likely most were Virginians...too bad they were prohibited from having guns on campus.

I don't know the answer, but I do know that there is zero correlation between more gun control and less fatal shootings. I also know the USA has this more than any other country. I also know that countries where there is more gun ownership have less gun fatalities.

This is a societal problem in the USA now. Decades ago we had less gun control and this shit rarely happened.

Anyway, I do know that no one is ever safe when living among humans.

Personally, it's a stupid idea to have the feds involved. Schools are locally governed. If the folks in the district want armed guards or cops at the school, that's their say and no one else's. The district where I live has anywhere from one cop (not a rent-a-cop) to four at each school, depending on size.

It's a huge district, too. Somehow we have yet to have a school massacre. And, to the best of my recollection, I have no knowledge of a single shooting fatality (or shooting) at any of our schools since we have cops there.

Funny how that works.

Hmmmm.

There's been 43 school shootings in 248,000 public schools since 1996 so there isn't a correlation between your local school district wasting it's time and money with armed guards around children a phenomenon that's happened to .008% of the schools in this country.

And there were also armed guards at Columbine when that whole thing went down. Look how well that worked.

Funny how that works.

Hmmmm.

There's been 43 school shootings in 248,000 public schools since 1996 so there isn't a correlation between your local school district wasting it's time and money with armed guards around children a phenomenon that's happened to .008% of the schools in this country.

And there were also armed guards at Columbine when that whole thing went down. Look how well that worked.
The armed cop was not at Columbine when the shooting went down.

The Colorado sheriff’s deputy who was one of the first to respond at Columbine High School during a bloody massacre more than a decade ago thinks armed guards could help keep kids safe.

Neil Gardner, who was stationed at the school but was not there when gunmen attacked, told the Daily News on Friday that he also supports a ban on assault weapons.​

Columbine High School cop says armed guards at schools coupled with assault weapons ban would keep students safe - NY Daily News

Your point?

Funny how that works.

Hmmmm.

The Colorado sheriff’s deputy who was one of the first to respond at Columbine High School during a bloody massacre more than a decade ago thinks armed guards could help keep kids safe.

Neil Gardner, who was stationed at the school but was not there when gunmen attacked, told the Daily News on Friday that he also supports a ban on assault weapons.​

Columbine High School cop says armed guards at schools coupled with assault weapons ban would keep students safe - NY Daily News

Your point?

My point is that there would have to be an extraordinary set of circumstances for this retarded idea to work. The guard would have to be present, sober, and not pussy out and run away like everyone else would to justify the hundreds of millions of dollars this horrible idea would cost. Columbine was an example of that. Virginia Tech was an example of that. Ft. Hood was an example of that. When one of these loons goes off, you're not going to stop them. And militarizing our schools and putting wannabe cops with power trips and firearms around children isn't going to accomplish anything except wasting tax money and getting more kids killed in accidents than in the school shootings themselves.

Funny how that works.

Hmmmm.

Your point?

But, they WERE there at Virginia Tech and out in force, so what's YOUR point?

Funny how that works.

Hmmmm.

Your point?

He was at lunch. So we'd need at least two cops per school, maybe more.

Your point?

My point is that there would have to be an extraordinary set of circumstances for this retarded idea to work. The guard would have to be present, sober, and not pussy out and run away like everyone else would to justify the hundreds of millions of dollars this horrible idea would cost. Columbine was an example of that. Virginia Tech was an example of that. Ft. Hood was an example of that. When one of these loons goes off, you're not going to stop them. And militarizing our schools and putting wannabe cops with power trips and firearms around children isn't going to accomplish anything except wasting tax money and getting more kids killed in accidents than in the school shootings themselves.
Lots of strawmen there that you are arguing with.

I'll just argue my points which don't include any militarization of schools, guards who aren't cops, or wannabe cops. Personally, I continue to vote for cops being present in my district. If you don't want them at schools in your district, then that is none of my business. Nor is it the business of the feds.

Your point?

But, they WERE there at Virginia Tech and out in force, so what's YOUR point?
Yes, they sure were. Too bad they were the only ones allowed to have guns on their person.

Your point?

Lots of strawmen there that you are arguing with.

I'll just argue my points which don't include any militarization of schools, guards who aren't cops, or wannabe cops. Personally, I continue to vote for cops being present in my district. If you don't want them at schools in your district, then that is none of my business. Nor is it the business of the feds.

Sure it is the business of the fed. The constitution grants rights and it is the duty of the fed to protect these rights. If that means arming people at schools then that is what they must do. I personally would rather see weapons kept out of the hands of nutters. Cheaper and more sensible in the long run.

Your point?

He was at lunch. So we'd need at least two cops per school, maybe more.
The high school down the street (combined middle and HS) has over 5K students. There are four cops on campus every day.

Recently some bitch brought a gun to the school (two weeks ago). A smart kid ratted her out and the cops busted her before she could use it. :thup:

Sure it is the business of the fed. The constitution grants rights and it is the duty of the fed to protect these rights.

You need to re-enroll in Constitution 101. The Constitution does not GRANT rights, it protects the rights which are ours naturally as human beings. (See: Declaration of Independence)

Moreover, it is not up to the government (fed) to protect our rights. It's up to US because we ARE the government.

Sure it is the business of the fed. The constitution grants rights and it is the duty of the fed to protect these rights.

You need to re-enroll in Constitution 101. The Constitution does not GRANT rights, it protects the rights which are ours naturally as human beings. (See: Declaration of Independence)

Moreover, it is not up to the government (fed) to protect our rights. It's up to US because we ARE the government.

^Semantics

^Semantics

Semantics? No it most certainly is not! The difference is fundamental!

Forum List

Back