Get your eyes checked!

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
My better half is having cataract surgery, first eye tomorrow, other one in two weeks so, we're traveling to the bid city today.

Its amazing how much cataract surgery has changed and improved. When I first heard of it, a gazillion years ago, the patient would have to lay on their back all day with sandbags holding their head in place.

Now, its a quick out patient procedure and we think we have a very competent surgeon.

One minus is that although insurance/Medicare pays more under ObamaCare than before, there is still out of pocket to be paid. Worth it though. What is more valuable than your eyesight? I read a poll where people said the only thing more important to them is their life. I agree.

Have a nice day, y'all. :eusa_hand:

Last eye-check to see if I needed new eyeglasses I joked during the puff of air glaucoma test, "Couldn't we just say I have it and ya gimme the Rx for medical marijuana?" :)

Yup. Our fam has a history of glaucoma and detached retinas so I'm on Lumigan drops. The cost, when equated to a 42 gallon barrel (as in oil) comes to about $8 million LOL.

I have had a cataract developing in my right eye for some time, but it's minor and very slowly working.

I had this same surgery a few years ago.

Easy in and out. Little or no pain. Didn't even put me to sleep.

Awesome. For the first time since I was 18, I can see distances without glasses.

Warning though - it will decrease close up vision and usually requires reading glasses. Nothing expensive, just a cheap pair from the nearest Walgreen's or CVS.

My better half is having cataract surgery, first eye tomorrow, other one in two weeks so, we're traveling to the bid city today.

Its amazing how much cataract surgery has changed and improved. When I first heard of it, a gazillion years ago, the patient would have to lay on their back all day with sandbags holding their head in place.

Now, its a quick out patient procedure and we think we have a very competent surgeon.

One minus is that although insurance/Medicare pays more under ObamaCare than before, there is still out of pocket to be paid. Worth it though. What is more valuable than your eyesight? I read a poll where people said the only thing more important to them is their life. I agree.

My wife/ex-wife just had it done a couple of weeks ago. She was petrified. But she said the procedure was painless. She felt a little discomfort for a few days but is happy she did it because she can see so much better. She just had to put some drops in her eyes for a few days to relieve the dryness.

Are you sure you want to take the chance she can see you better?

:D

I am, of course, joking. Good luck to her.

You don't wonder if you should get your eyes checked if you have cataracts. You know something is wrong. I got to the point where I couldn't drive at night with a glow around every light. The eye Dr. said one eye was ready and the other eye was not quite ripe enough. They only do one eye at a time in case something goes wrong anyway. I had to travel about 80 miles for a 7 AM appointment and I was home for lunch with a new eye. It is truly amazing what they can do now.

Very nice to be in the big city. Went out to a very nice dinner. Nothing but crappy fat food joints in the two little towns we live in. Our hotel gives free booze from 5.30 to 7 but thats way too much to drink. Hell, I'd be up all night, peeing.

And we're watching old Robin Williams videos.

We don't need to be at the surgery center until 11 tomorrow so my poor honey will be starved by time we get out of there.

Is it too early to ask if everything went well?

Thanks very much for asking and yes, couldn't be better. Already noticing the difference and, interestingly, a big difference in color.

Now we know what happened to Van Gogh!

Second eye will be done in a week and a half.

I get mine checked every two years. I do have cataracts but they're not ready to be removed yet. My doctor now does both eyes at one appointment.
Good luck.

I get mine checked every two years. I do have cataracts but they're not ready to be removed yet. My doctor now does both eyes at one appointment.
Good luck.

That's me too. Actually, I'd love to have this surgery because, basically, it gives you the same benefits of lasix.

Good luck.

That's me too. Actually, I'd love to have this surgery because, basically, it gives you the same benefits of lasix.
Was there a reduction in "floaters" after the surgery? :dunno:

Forum List

Back