Cinematic Imagery

I mean just because you CAN use the latest tech to make it look like somebody's skin is boiling or that some triple jointed possesed little girl is crawling around on the ceiling doesn't mean it ADDS to a weak as hell story line.

Some of the old movies are the best because they used suspense as opposed to gory effects. You know - using your own imagination to scare the living daylights out of you?

Remember how they didn't even show the shark in Jaws at first? Apparently that was because they had so many problems with the mechanical shark. Whether or not that's true, I think most would agree that that added something to the film.

Remember how they didn't even show the shark in Jaws at first? Apparently that was because they had so many problems with the mechanical shark. Whether or not that's true, I think most would agree that that added something to the film.

I think so.

If we can see it, we can put it into context, justify it, ummm ... can't think of the term I want here. But if it's something unseen, something we must use our imagination for - well, there are no limitations.

Why is it that all the new horror movies rely on such disturbing imagery? I mean I LOVE horror flicks but some of it is just flat out DISTURBING!
I agree, I get more scared by the stuff that leaves it up to your imagination. Of course I get very scared by most horror films. I still have not been able to get through the Hill have Eyes. and I never going hiking in the desert.
I was scared of the dark(still kind of em) until an age I won't admit to because of Freddy and they barely showed anything in those movies.
And I have no plans on ever going to West Virginia.

My wife (and I) walked out of 28 days later......She HATES zombies I didn't know that. LOL! But I think you guys really have hit on something that I didn't expect from my OP. There is nothing that you can show on screen that can scare us more than whet we IMAGINE there to be. I still love horror movies but once again I don't think disturbing images are enough to make up for a lame story line.

cabin fever probably got me the worst and the killer wasn't even a person or monster.

I mean just because you CAN use the latest tech to make it look like somebody's skin is boiling or that some triple jointed possesed little girl is crawling around on the ceiling doesn't mean it ADDS to a weak as hell story line.

I have a place in my heart for special effects, so I enjoy the new ones sometimes .... sometimes. I am a huge fan of HP Lovecraft and anything based on most of his works would have to have fancy special effects. However, many have become a little relaxed on the stories, and this makes them downright boring. The last decent one I have seen (aside from my zombie flicks) was Jeepers Creepers. Problem is that these gems don't sell, and Hollywood producers have to earn a living to. ;)

My wife (and I) walked out of 28 days later......She HATES zombies I didn't know that. LOL! But I think you guys really have hit on something that I didn't expect from my OP. There is nothing that you can show on screen that can scare us more than whet we IMAGINE there to be. I still love horror movies but once again I don't think disturbing images are enough to make up for a lame story line.

For me, that is another reason books are so much better than a movie of a book. All the details that can be put on paper that we don't see on the screen, the time an author can take fleshing out a character or specific scene and then there's the way you can just get caught up in a book, so that you feel you are a part of the story, not just reading a story.

you know what is a scary movie? alice in wonderland.
that movie scared the shit out of me as a child.

The Sound of Music scared the hell out of me because once a year they would show it and I knew I would have to watch. One t.v. don't ya know. I did like the sceeen of the Father singing Eldaveis....I KNOW I spelled it wrong but that song always brought tears to my eyes because he knew he would never see them again.

28 Days Later wasn't really zombies, it was more like rabies. But meh, it is zombie like.

Forum List

Back