Cigarette ads

No. People knew for a long time that cigarettes were no dam good for you.

In 1938, the fictitious "Coffin Nail Cigarette Company" is the outfit that gave Curly a prize for winning their contest.

I suppose doctors in the AMA may have thought it was healthy, but Imbecile Americans weren't fooled.

Millions of young guys were helped to start smoking in WWII. Free smokes as a way of helping relieve stress. No doubt it did help but it also caused addiction and a huge wave of deaths in the following decades. My mother was one of them. Lung cancer at 63. By that time, things were changing but the beliefs of the older folks were difficult to change in time. The irony for us was that she managed to quit, cold-turkey for the entirety of her three pregnancies, only to return to the habit after delivery each time :(
My oldest sister tried half a dozen times to quit in the years following our mom's death. She finally managed it with medical help and as is so common in people who were decades-long smokers, she was diagnosed with lung cancer about five years after quitting. Thank God her cancer was caught in a single lung lobe and before it had metastasized. She had the lobe removed and has been cancer-free for about 15 years now.
I'm 60 and I remember the Marlboro cowboy ads as well as a few others. IIRC, even after they were outlawed on TV, they still continued for a while in print publications like magazines.

This opens up an entire genre: antique ashtrays.

Or my favorite smoking device (?)...

Wing windows... :113:

1625378940957.png

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Forum List

Back