Churches Worry More About Evangelism Than Helping The Poor And Starving

Church of the Nazarene - Offering Resources

"The World Evangelism Fund fuels the Church of the Nazarene’s global mission. Because we can do more working together than we can alone, every church shares a portion of income for the purpose of making Christlike disciples in the nations.

The global mission of the Church of the Nazarene is a strategic undertaking. To accomplish the Great Commission—spreading the gospel and the message of holiness around the world—requires significant funding.

In “self-funded” missions, missionaries must spend valuable time raising their own financial support. They conduct services, take offerings, receive pledges of support, and pray that they are able to raise sufficient funds themselves. Sometimes, their time of service is shortened by lack of resources. Larger churches are visited by more missionaries than they could possibly help, while some smaller churches are overlooked."

Meanwhile nearly a billion people, mostly children starve and/or suffer from malnutrition. All my life I've watched churches promote every manner of fund raising on their agenda and basically ignore what their charge was from the new testament...to take care of the poor.

Jesus himself said, 'the poor will be with us always.' And it was to Judus who had ridiculed a woman who had broken open a very expensive vial of perfume for Jesus. Jesus said that her loving action would stand as a monument to her through time. And it has. How many poor from those days can you cite?

What I have seen over the years is that when someone who isn't doing very well joins a church, they adopt the more orderly style of living, and stop wasting their money. They come to be acquainted with people who can help them get to a better place in life. That is far more productive in terms of fighting poverty than giving handouts, although most churches give handouts in astronomical proportions.

You've got it bad. As a matter of fact you're eat up with it. I helped keep the books in a Baptist church in Tennessee which had over 900 members. I worked on the building committee, was in the Brotherhood, served as an usher some times, worked with RA Boys, visited the sick on Tuesday evenings, prayer meetings on Wednesdays, etc. etc. etc. A modern church is nothing more than a microcosm of American society. Now....if you would like to modify your statement to 10% of the church membership I might agree...otherwise you missed it. Our church had about a hundred members who were regular tithers and less than that who attended more than one service a week. I was there and lived it for nearly 40 years.

That does not invoke the picture of you as a charitable person. You clearly believe that you put more into it than you got out of it. And what you get isn't really the point. Go back and read my edit to the post you just quoted.

How many poor do you help these days? I daresay none.

You are a hateful bitter old man, Campbell. Your afterlife will not be good under any religious system.

"The World Evangelism Fund fuels the Church of the Nazarene’s global mission. Because we can do more working together than we can alone, every church shares a portion of income for the purpose of making Christlike disciples in the nations.

The global mission of the Church of the Nazarene is a strategic undertaking. To accomplish the Great Commission—spreading the gospel and the message of holiness around the world—requires significant funding.

In “self-funded” missions, missionaries must spend valuable time raising their own financial support. They conduct services, take offerings, receive pledges of support, and pray that they are able to raise sufficient funds themselves. Sometimes, their time of service is shortened by lack of resources. Larger churches are visited by more missionaries than they could possibly help, while some smaller churches are overlooked."

Meanwhile nearly a billion people, mostly children starve and/or suffer from malnutrition. All my life I've watched churches promote every manner of fund raising on their agenda and basically ignore what their charge was from the new testament...to take care of the poor.

Meanwhile nearly a billion people, mostly children starve and/or suffer from malnutrition

So what are YOU doing about it Joe ?

Meanwhile nearly a billion people, mostly children starve and/or suffer from malnutrition

So what are YOU doing about it Joe ?

I wonder if any of these church members other than the ones in the business office actually know where any of this money is going? My guess is they don't ask they accept what they are told and swallow it hook, line and sinker. Give and go to a heaven, don't and fry like a fish in hot grease obviously the choice is clear....and no guarantees.

Jesus himself said, 'the poor will be with us always.' And it was to Judus who had ridiculed a woman who had broken open a very expensive vial of perfume for Jesus. Jesus said that her loving action would stand as a monument to her through time. And it has. How many poor from those days can you cite?

What I have seen over the years is that when someone who isn't doing very well joins a church, they adopt the more orderly style of living, and stop wasting their money. They come to be acquainted with people who can help them get to a better place in life. That is far more productive in terms of fighting poverty than giving handouts, although most churches give handouts in astronomical proportions.

You've got it bad. As a matter of fact you're eat up with it. I helped keep the books in a Baptist church in Tennessee which had over 900 members. I worked on the building committee, was in the Brotherhood, served as an usher some times, worked with RA Boys, visited the sick on Tuesday evenings, prayer meetings on Wednesdays, etc. etc. etc. A modern church is nothing more than a microcosm of American society. Now....if you would like to modify your statement to 10% of the church membership I might agree...otherwise you missed it. Our church had about a hundred members who were regular tithers and less than that who attended more than one service a week. I was there and lived it for nearly 40 years.

That does not invoke the picture of you as a charitable person. You clearly believe that you put more into it than you got out of it. And what you get isn't really the point. Go back and read my edit to the post you just quoted.

No. 1 it's none of your goddamned business. No. 2 I'll give ten to one odds I give more than you do and if I don't....tithing my gross for nearly forty years should cover the difference. You "daresay" really impresses me. How old are you? Probably about 30.

Last edited:

No. 1 it's none of your goddamned business. No. 2 I'll give ten to one odds I give more than you do and if I don't....tithing my gross for nearly forty years should cover the difference. You "daresay" really impresses me. How old are you? Probably about 30.

I'm 65 and I've worked in an area where I see suffering daily. And your challenge is not worth the effort. If you 'gave' anything you expected some return. And that is not giving.

The title of this thread certainly indicates that you think it is your business how much others give, but when the finger points back to you it is suddenly nobody's business.

You are as I said before. You are a hateful bitter old man. You contribute nothing to life now, and if you did any other time it was grudgingly expecting a return, which isn't really a contribution. It is a barter, and one I suspect you believe went badly.

I'm 65 and I've worked in an area where I see suffering daily. And your challenge is not worth the effort. If you 'gave' anything you expected some return. And that is not giving.

The title of this thread certainly indicates that you think it is your business how much others give, but when the finger points back to you it is suddenly nobody's business.

You are as I said before. You are a hateful bitter old man. You contribute nothing to life now, and if you did any other time it was grudgingly expecting a return, which isn't really a contribution. It is a barter, and one I suspect you believe went badly.

LMAO... what did you see that made you think I wanted something in return. That sounds like an instinctive man thing to me.......which is where all religion originated to begin with.

Barnum said, "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute!"

If that's what you've gleened from what I've posted here you need some reading lessons. I said from the git go that I never believed it. I read the new testament no less than ten times with concordances close by and never believed it. I used to look around the sanctuary and wonder if there were others who doubted the way I do. The brainwashing of innocent, gullible children with that ancient bull shit should be against the law.

If you think that I'll be roasting in an eternal pit because I don't believe you're going to rise from a grave, join your ghost pal floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise to live in eternal bliss you can kiss my Big Orange, Tennessee Volunteer Coon Dawg Arse!

If you think those are my beliefs than you clearly didn't "glean" anything from anything I've ever posted either, dip shit.

Sorry, but the 1st Amendment allows for Free Exercise. I know that hurts.

Question: is it difficult to type and operate a mouse while wearing a straitjacket?

It's not what I think that makes any difference. It's exactly what your book says, over and over and over ad nauseum:

1 Thessalonians 4:
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

John 3:
18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Luke 16:24
"The rich man shouted, 'Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.'

[See emphasis] Truest words you've yet posted. My book? Again, I am not a Christian, as I have posted many, many times on this board, and in your threads, so you're either not paying attention or you are feeble-minded. If it's the former you have no excuse. If it's the latter then you have my sympathy.

Forum List

Back