Christians Pushing Back In Nigeria

trobinett said:
USViking posts:

Maybe even- sacre bleu!- the native French
will reverse their own 150+ year tradition,
and start having enough children to increase
their numbers.

trobinett said:
Really, you DON`T think, that for a moment, MORE people is the answer to this problem?
It is one of only two solutions the native French
have if they are to remain a majority, unless the
Muslim birthrate declines rapidly.

The other solution would be evicting Muslims.

trobinett said:
The French haven`t had it right, for, oh, I don`t know, FOREVER.

Why look to them for any answer`s?
There will be an answer of some kind,
what I do not know.

trobinett said:
This whole deal is a tender box of emotions, fueled by religious fury, I certainly couldn`t begin to tell you how it`s all going to "shake" out.

Pretty scary really.
Yes, it is scary.

gop_jeff said:
Defending a church or a family from attackers is one things. Burning down mosques in retribution is another. And yeah, it's certainly understandable to have that desire, but I don't think it's right for Christians to take retribution in this manner.
I'm with you, Jeff.

USViking said:
This is exactly the kind of argument used by lynch mobs.

What you are defending is lynch mob behavior,
and I do not believe you yourself would become
part of a lynch mob under any circumstances.

The Muslims in southern Nigeria were lynch mob
victims who had nothing to do with the atrocities
commited by their brethren in the North.

In principle, I can agree. In reality, I cannot. When the duly elected officials at whatever level fail to provide the protection they are obligated to, I'm not waiting for a bullet to hit me in the chest, nor the death of one of my loved ones to wake up to a threat.

If it takes vigilantism to neutralize a threat, all I can say is "saddle up!"

GunnyL said:
In principle, I can agree. In reality, I cannot. When the duly elected officials at whatever level fail to provide the protection they are obligated to, I'm not waiting for a bullet to hit me in the chest, nor the death of one of my loved ones to wake up to a threat.

If it takes vigilantism to neutralize a threat, all I can say is "saddle up!"
Nothing in any of the links here tell of Christians
in north Nigeria threatening anyone, and the same
goes for the Muslims of south Nigeria.

The Christians in south Nigeria can defend themselves
without lynching innocent people.

Their present lynch mob behavior only further
endangers the Christians in the North, while
doing absolutely nothing to protect anyone.

theim said:
Quite optimistic of you. May I ask what events in the last decade and a half convinced you that the US and EU will do anything at all, except sit back and watch the entire country slaughter itself?

Gotta secure that oil :cof:. That and if Nigeria falls apart without us getting involved to stem the violence in some way, the ENTIRE region (including Liberia, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Senegal, Cote De Ivorie, Cameroon, etc etc) will go to hell quickly.

USViking said:
Nothing in any of the links here tell of Christians
in north Nigeria threatening anyone, and the same
goes for the Muslims of south Nigeria.

The Christians in south Nigeria can defend themselves
without lynching innocent people.

Their present lynch mob behavior only further
endangers the Christians in the North, while
doing absolutely nothing to protect anyone.

I disagree. It shows the Muslims in the north there are consequences in the south for their actions, and perhaps they should rethink their behavior.

Be that as it may, you condemned ALL vigilantism, calling it "lynch mob behavior." It is to that I responded, not the specific happenings in Nigeria.

While you may consider yourself the voice of reason, I hardly consider any extremist Muslim, or Christian for that matter, to posess a whole lot of reasoning ability; especially, when riled. Obviously reason was lost in this case when Muslims went on the rampage over nothing more than freakin' cartoons.

Have any idea what the US would be like if Christians went on a rampage every time a political cartoon knocking Christianity was published?

As I said, in principle -- the perfect world scenario -- I can agree with you. In dealing with reality, I do not. Idealism is great as long as you can differentiate between that and the reality in which you live.

GunnyL said:
I disagree. It shows the Muslims in the north there are consequences in the south for their actions, and perhaps they should rethink their behavior.
I believe you are mistaken if you think murdering
southern Muslims is going to make the northern ones
behave any better.

GunnyL said:
Be that as it may, you condemned ALL vigilantism, calling it "lynch mob behavior." It is to that I responded, not the specific happenings in Nigeria.
I never mentioned vigilantism directly or indirectly,
go back and read my posts more carefully.

The only case I know of where it has taken place
was in Gold Rush era California, although perhaps
it was more common in the Wild West than I am aware.

As I understand it is action by armed citizens against
criminals where police are absent or ineffective.
Perhaps it was necessary against lawlessness in
those places at those times.

I am glad you agree term does not apply to what
is happening now in south Nigeria.

GunnyL said:
While you may consider yourself the voice of reason, I hardly consider any extremist Muslim, or Christian for that matter, to posess a whole lot of reasoning ability; especially, when riled. Obviously reason was lost in this case when Muslims went on the rampage over nothing more than freakin' cartoons.
I will take a back seat to no one as a critic
of Islam in the world today.

GunnyL said:
Have any idea what the US would be like if Christians went on a rampage every time a political cartoon knocking Christianity was published?
You are preaching to the choir.

GunnyL said:
As I said, in principle -- the perfect world scenario -- I can agree with you. In dealing with reality, I do not. Idealism is great as long as you can differentiate between that and the reality in which you live.
There is nothing "idealistic" about condemning lynch mobs,
in principle, and in the same imperfect-world reality we both inhabit.

Forum List

Back