Christianity as a Justification for Slavery

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
A very good read

"Slaveholders believed that slavery would liberate Africans from their savage-like ways, especially if they were infused with Christianity. As religion ran deep through slavery, white Christian slaveholders argued that slavery was a necessary evil because it would control the sinful, less humane, black race."

Guess who the real savages were

History Engine: Tools for Collaborative Education and Research | Episodes

A very good read

"Slaveholders believed that slavery would liberate Africans from their savage-like ways, especially if they were infused with Christianity. As religion ran deep through slavery, white Christian slaveholders argued that slavery was a necessary evil because it would control the sinful, less humane, black race."

Also because the bible was good for brainwashing the slaves:

"Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward."
-- 1 Peter 2:18

A very good read

I know right? I hope and pray this is in the Common Core curricula

A very good read

"Servants, be subject to your masters with all fear; not only to the good and gentle, but also to the froward."
Are you sure they didnt sub in "slave" for "servants"? I know they took all kinds of liberties with the translations in the KJV.

A very good read

Are you sure they didnt sub in "slave" for "servants"? I know they took all kinds of liberties with the translations in the KJV.

I'm sure if the planter was reading aloud to them, he'd include "the lady slaves must not withhold thine ass from the master" too.

Christianity once tried to justify slavery of blacks to whites.

Christianity today tries to justify slavery of whites to blacks.

A very good read

Educators hate Common Core. I've heard it first hand.

A very good read

you've talked to all of them have you? :rolleyes-41:

anecdotal evidence much? :slap:

A very good read

you've talked to all of them have you? :rolleyes-41:

anecdotal evidence much? :slap:
I was stuck moderating a three-day conference with about 50 of them. I do it every year. The chatter amongst the lot of them is dread and disbelief.

Christianity ended Western Slavery, Dumbass.

Really? You Sure about that?

Ks7emjC.jpg

Forum List

Back