Christian friends of gays and lesbians

someone help me out a bit here, tell me where i'm off (and i could be way off)

so basically there are two options.

god exists and all human life sacred
god doesnt exist, we are all here by chance. we are all just animals, no different than a monkey or tiger or caterpillar.

if we are like animals, it seems that the only purpose we serve is to procreate and ensure that our species lives on. kind of basic darwinism, no?

how then, does homosexuality play in to that picture? they obviously can't reproduce, and therefore can't pass on their traits to their offspring. maybe nature's way of ridding the human race of homosexuality is the HIV.

Only two options?

God exists, but does not really worry about us.

God does not exist, but we are more than animals anyway because we can understand abstract concepts.

We are God, so the only person we hurt when we rebel against God is ourself.

I can go on almost indefinitely, get your head out of that box you built around your thinking.

By the way, nature does not have to rid itself of homosexuals as they do not, as you pointed out, reproduce. That would be Darwinism at its crudest.

Christians think homosexuality is wrong, immoral and sinful. That doesn't seem real friendly to me.

along with lust.. greed ..envy.. sex outside of marriage etc etc...let he who is without sin and all that stuff...but when all is said and done.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndO2Xt9-yV0]YouTube - ziggy marley love is my relgion (acoustic)[/ame]

Nope, I doubt God would either.

i'm sorry, but your opinion doesn't hold a lot of weight.

like it or not, the one source that does claim to speak for god is the bible, and according to the bible, homosexual acts are sinful.

on a personal note and in all seriousness, i committed adultery. i am not proud of it, but it happened. did i commit a sin, yes. would it be convenient for me to simply say, hey, god wouldn't consider adultery a sin now would he? i mean, come on, what does god really care about sex? everyone does it nowadays. it's natural.

now if you don't believe in the bible, that's great. more power to you. but if you do believe in the bible and want to claim god doesn't believe homosexual acts to be sinful, i think you've got a bit of a problem.
But Jesus never spoke about homosexuality. ;)
And if you are in a civil union or marriage with a same sex partner, and are faithful, in my opinion I don't think God would think it was a sin. I also don't think God would like people to spread hate in his name. I believe in God, but I don't believe the bible should not be taken so literally.

Unfortunately you are not the one that makes that decision. The only one that is qualified to make that decision is God, and speaking for Him has some serious drawbacks, especially if you get it wrong. One of them is the ability to rationalize sin by denying God, which is why I am always careful not to say something is, or is not, a sin.

Christians think homosexuality is wrong, immoral and sinful. That doesn't seem real friendly to me.

Jesus taught that prostitution was wrong, immoral, and sinful, yet he hung out with prostitutes. I see no reason, given that example, that Christians cannot be friends with homosexuals. Maybe I am not judgmental enough for you though.

really? why even bother?

where did anyone on this board say "christians cannot be friends with homosexuals"?

why did you make that jump?

Perhaps you did not read the same thread I did. The OP openly questions that Christians can be friends with anyone they think is sinful, despite the fact that all Christians are sinners. Why wouldn't any intelligent person make that jump?

someone help me out a bit here, tell me where i'm off (and i could be way off)

so basically there are two options.

god exists and all human life sacred
god doesnt exist, we are all here by chance. we are all just animals, no different than a monkey or tiger or caterpillar.

if we are like animals, it seems that the only purpose we serve is to procreate and ensure that our species lives on. kind of basic darwinism, no?

how then, does homosexuality play in to that picture? they obviously can't reproduce, and therefore can't pass on their traits to their offspring. maybe nature's way of ridding the human race of homosexuality is the HIV.

Only two options?

God exists, but does not really worry about us.

God does not exist, but we are more than animals anyway because we can understand abstract concepts.

We are God, so the only person we hurt when we rebel against God is ourself.

I can go on almost indefinitely, get your head out of that box you built around your thinking.

By the way, nature does not have to rid itself of homosexuals as they do not, as you pointed out, reproduce. That would be Darwinism at its crudest.

i know there are more than two options. the basic point was, either god exists or it doesnt. i didn't have time to go through all the possibilities. but thank you for pointing a few more of them out. i'll try to expand that box of mine.

Jesus taught that prostitution was wrong, immoral, and sinful, yet he hung out with prostitutes. I see no reason, given that example, that Christians cannot be friends with homosexuals. Maybe I am not judgmental enough for you though.

really? why even bother?

where did anyone on this board say "christians cannot be friends with homosexuals"?

I doubt any homosexuals would be friends with you. ;)

you'd be wrong.

i'm sorry, but your opinion doesn't hold a lot of weight.

like it or not, the one source that does claim to speak for god is the bible, and according to the bible, homosexual acts are sinful.

on a personal note and in all seriousness, i committed adultery. i am not proud of it, but it happened. did i commit a sin, yes. would it be convenient for me to simply say, hey, god wouldn't consider adultery a sin now would he? i mean, come on, what does god really care about sex? everyone does it nowadays. it's natural.

now if you don't believe in the bible, that's great. more power to you. but if you do believe in the bible and want to claim god doesn't believe homosexual acts to be sinful, i think you've got a bit of a problem.
And if you are in a civil union or marriage with a same sex partner, and are faithful, in my opinion I don't think God would think it was a sin. I also don't think God would like people to spread hate in his name. I believe in God, but I don't believe the bible should not be taken so literally.

Unfortunately you are not the one that makes that decision. The only one that is qualified to make that decision is God, and speaking for Him has some serious drawbacks, especially if you get it wrong. One of them is the ability to rationalize sin by denying God, which is why I am always careful not to say something is, or is not, a sin.

I am pretty sure that was my point, and I used words like " I think" and " in my opinion". ;)
Which is why I don't think we should use the Bible against homosexuals, and for the reason you stated. Someone else is speaking for Jesus. :)

I am pretty sure that was my point, and I used words like " I think" and " in my opinion". ;)
Which is why I don't think we should use the Bible against homosexuals, and for the reason you stated. Someone else is speaking for Jesus. :)

However there is a passage in the bible that clearly states one is not to lie with the same sex. As in have sex with.

really? why even bother?

Perhaps you did not read the same thread I did. The OP openly questions that Christians can be friends with anyone they think is sinful, despite the fact that all Christians are sinners. Why wouldn't any intelligent person make that jump?

i apologize. i misread what she said. damn cannots.

You might think that is your point, but in claiming the Bible is wrong, without any sort of evidence to back up your claim, you are the one making judgments. Further, if you are wrong, you might actually be endangering someone else by teaching them falsely. If, on the other hand, someone simply points out that the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, and then goes on to love the homosexual because God is love, then that will not reflect negatively on them if God keeps track of things like that.

By the way, I can actually back my position up from the Bible, and point out the factual errors that are in it. I can also discuss the different translations accurately, and discuss the original language if called on to do so. You just want to throw out the parts of the Bible that you disagree with in the hope that God will understand that you are smarter than the guys who actually wrote it.

really? why even bother?

i apologize. i misread what she said. damn cannots.

If you were perfect you wouldn't be here. Apology accepted.

You might think that is your point, but in claiming the Bible is wrong, without any sort of evidence to back up your claim, you are the one making judgments. Further, if you are wrong, you might actually be endangering someone else by teaching them falsely. If, on the other hand, someone simply points out that the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, and then goes on to love the homosexual because God is love, then that will not reflect negatively on them if God keeps track of things like that.

By the way, I can actually back my position up from the Bible, and point out the factual errors that are in it. I can also discuss the different translations accurately, and discuss the original language if called on to do so. You just want to throw out the parts of the Bible that you disagree with in the hope that God will understand that you are smarter than the guys who actually wrote it.
I have a right to my opinion, and I am not endangering anyone when I tell them it is my opinion. And you have no proof the Bible is the word of God, you are going on the word of other people. Which might be why they call it faith. ;)

I question what sort of friendship is on offer that rejects the essence of a person, their loves, their heart's desire. I also question where in the fuck some of you get your sti infection/death rate information.

Friendship is loving someone without (acting on) a sexual desire for them. All love is based on respect and acceptance.

You are talking to a lady that openly posted that because Christians are opposed to same sex marriage they are more DANGEROUS then Muslim terrorists.

If she said that, she is very ignorant, Muslims are more against gays than any other religion.

"Muhammad himself had stated, “If you find anyone doing as Lot's people did, kill the one who does it, and the one to whom it is done."

"A Gallup survey carried out in early 2009 found that British Muslims have zero tolerance for Homosexuality"

http://www.wikiislam.com/wiki/Islam_and_Homosexuality

Like you said RGS, no need to be judgmental, that is not our job.

On the same note liking or disliking something is not judging, IMO, but hating is being judgmental.

Last edited:

You are talking to a lady that openly posted that because Christians are opposed to same sex marriage they are more DANGEROUS then Muslim terrorists.

That's not what I said. What I said was that Christians in America negatively impact my life more than Muslims do.

God told Adam not to eat the hetero apple and when he did and banged eve, they were both tossed out of gay eden. Doesn't get any more gay then that. And Jesus was good looking, fit, hung around with only guys, wore a dress, looked very effeminate, only banged a chick once to see if he liked it (he obviously didn't), and me thinks that he was probably crucified for being gay. So christians should get over the gay thing already.

I think disapproval is a type of aversion.

Maybe for some, but certainly not universally. I have friends who are alcoholics, and I have friends who are adulterers. I may think they are a little messed up, but I love them regardless.

You're equating being gay to being an alcoholic or an adulterer?

Not at all. I'm saying that just because I may not understand someone's proclivities does not mean that I harbor hatred toward them. I frankly don't care about someone else's sexuality. It's their business and not anyone else's.

You're equating being gay to being an alcoholic or an adulterer?

Not at all. I'm saying that just because I may not understand someone's proclivities does not mean that I harbor hatred toward them. I frankly don't care about someone else's sexuality. It's their business and not anyone else's.

How do you feel about marriage equality?

Forum List

Back