Chirac to Seek Law Banning Head Scarves

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
And the French dare to lecture us on how to run our country?!? This is the flimsiest law I've ever seen under the 'separation of church and state' banner.

-----------------------
PARIS - French President Jacques Chirac said Wednesday he will ask parliament to pass a law banning Islamic head scarves and other religious insignia in public schools, a dramatic and potentially explosive move aimed at shoring up the nation's secular tradition.

Chirac said he also wanted to open the way for businesses to impose the same ban. Muslim groups have denounced the proposal as discriminatory, saying it will stigmitize France's Muslim population, the largest in Western Europe.

"Secularism is one of the great successes of the Republic," Chirac said in an address to the nation. "It is a crucial element of social peace and national cohesion. We cannot let it weaken."

Chirac said he would push for a law to be enacted in time for the school year that begins next autumn. Islamic head scarves, Jewish skullcaps and large crucifixes would fall under the ban.

Companies should also be free to ban the wearing of head scarves and other religious signs for reasons of safety or customer relations, Chirac said.

Adoption of a law seemed likely, as lawmakers from both sides of the political spectrum have voiced support for a law on secularism, insisting France must retain its separation of religion and state.

As expected, Chirac rejected a commission recommendation to establish the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur and the Muslim Eid el-Kabir feast as school holidays.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
And the French dare to lecture us on how to run our country?!? This is the flimsiest law I've ever seen under the 'separation of church and state' banner.

-----------------------
PARIS - French President Jacques Chirac said Wednesday he will ask parliament to pass a law banning Islamic head scarves and other religious insignia in public schools, a dramatic and potentially explosive move aimed at shoring up the nation's secular tradition.

Chirac said he also wanted to open the way for businesses to impose the same ban. Muslim groups have denounced the proposal as discriminatory, saying it will stigmitize France's Muslim population, the largest in Western Europe.

"Secularism is one of the great successes of the Republic," Chirac said in an address to the nation. "It is a crucial element of social peace and national cohesion. We cannot let it weaken."

Chirac said he would push for a law to be enacted in time for the school year that begins next autumn. Islamic head scarves, Jewish skullcaps and large crucifixes would fall under the ban.

Companies should also be free to ban the wearing of head scarves and other religious signs for reasons of safety or customer relations, Chirac said.

Adoption of a law seemed likely, as lawmakers from both sides of the political spectrum have voiced support for a law on secularism, insisting France must retain its separation of religion and state.

As expected, Chirac rejected a commission recommendation to establish the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur and the Muslim Eid el-Kabir feast as school holidays.

Yeah I think that's liberalism take too far insofar that it has become anti-clericalism. In fact, I'd hardly even call it liberal, I'd call it oppressive.

Here is what I just do not get, maybe someone can give me a new point of view:

If you are not a religious person, an atheist lets say, why should it bother you to look at religious symbols. If you tell me the moon is green, and I know it is not, I write you off as a fool and pay no further attention, you can wear your green moon charms and tee shirts all you want, I simply ignore them. On the other side if you are a religious person or do believe the moon is green, and I deny you the right to express your beliefs, then you are being hurt by this, spiritually that is.

Is this not logical, or am I missing something ?

While atheism may not believe in a god, it is still a belief system. And therefore it is still capable of( and subject to) the same kind of prejudices that other religions have.

Some atheists probably don't care if you think the moon is green, but others will declare you a heretic. As with any faith, there are extremists as well as moderates.

I just can't understand how one person's expression of religious belief, in a non-threatening, non in-your-face manner, could be interpreted as intruding on another person's religious freedom. The French revolutionaries must be rolling in their graves.

I would think that such narrow minded policies would actually cause more hatred among the religious parties. By removing religion and any religious expression, you are teaching intolerance more than any other society.

"I just can't understand how one person's expression of religious belief, in a non-threatening, non in-your-face manner,"

I work with a woman who wears the Muslim getup. It's like I'm being told to fuck off every time I see her. I hate it. I want to rip it off and tell her to be a goddamn American or get the fuck OUT. These people drive airplanes into our buildings, and we're supposed to respect their little outfits in our own country? This isn't cultural expression, it's the middle finger. Good for France. Vive Le Pen!

I work with a woman who wears the Muslim getup. It's like I'm being told to fuck off every time I see her. I hate it. I want to rip it off and tell her to be a goddamn American or get the fuck OUT. These people drive airplanes into our buildings, and we're supposed to respect their little outfits in our own country? This isn't cultural expression, it's the middle finger.
so ….. it …… is!!!!

Jacques Chirac died peacefully in his sleep on September 26, 2019. Is he still giving orders? Good for him!

"I just can't understand how one person's expression of religious belief, in a non-threatening, non in-your-face manner,"

I work with a woman who wears the Muslim getup. It's like I'm being told to fuck off every time I see her.
LOL - Believe it or not, it's not all about you.
I hate it. I want to rip it off and tell her to be a goddamn American or get the fuck OUT. These people drive airplanes into our buildings, and we're supposed to respect their little outfits in our own country? This isn't cultural expression, it's the middle finger. Good for France. Vive Le Pen!
You're quite the ignorant bigot. I think I'd probably tell you to fuck off too.

Forum List

Back