China Trade War? Over Tires

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
Financial Times / China - US tyre duties spark China clash

A full-blown trade row erupted between the US and China after Beijing accused Washington of “rampant protectionism” for imposing heavy duties on imported Chinese tyres and threatened action against imports of US poultry and vehicles.

Trade relations between two of the world’s biggest economies deteriorated after Barack Obama, US president, signed an order late on Friday to impose a new duty of 35 per cent on Chinese tyre imports on top of an existing 4 per cent tariff.

It appears that the Chinese are not taking our new tariff lightly. If this does spark a full trade war, as some fear, this could devastate both our economies, and kill any recovery before it starts.

We can only hope that Obama chooses to repeal the tariff before things get ugly.

A full-blown trade row erupted between the US and China after Beijing accused Washington of “rampant protectionism” for imposing heavy duties on imported Chinese tyres and threatened action against imports of US poultry and vehicles.

Trade relations between two of the world’s biggest economies deteriorated after Barack Obama, US president, signed an order late on Friday to impose a new duty of 35 per cent on Chinese tyre imports on top of an existing 4 per cent tariff.

It appears that the Chinese are not taking our new tariff lightly. If this does spark a full trade war, as some fear, this could devastate both our economies, and kill any recovery before it starts.

We can only hope that Obama chooses to repeal the tariff before things get ugly.

I know the legitimate fears the tariff is causing here and the legitimate risks of the possible trade war.

I still think its a good Idea...but in the interest of full disclosure i've been calling for tariffs on ALL chinsese and foreign goods since clinton was president. I'm surprised Obama is the first president to do what I wanted with tariffs.....i dont know if i should be happy or scared :lol:

I know the legitimate fears the tariff is causing here and the legitimate risks of the possible trade war.

I still think its a good Idea...but in the interest of full disclosure i've been calling for tariffs on ALL chinsese and foreign goods since clinton was president. I'm surprised Obama is the first president to do what I wanted with tariffs.....i dont know if i should be happy or scared :lol:
How about a tax on WallMart where all the poor shoppers go? That'll be in keeping with the Obama administrations "War on the Poor".

You know, it's probably still not too late to blame Bush for this.

How about a tax on WallMart where all the poor shoppers go? That'll be in keeping with the Obama administrations "War on the Poor".

You know, it's probably still not too late to blame Bush for this.

Well if bush didn't do x, y, and z Obama wouldn't have to raise tariffs J/K

Actually raising tariffs on all imports would be akin to raising the price of goods at walmart....if thats the point you wanted to make ;)

I know that my position is unrealistic, which is why i don't know if I should be happy or scared that obama is adopting it......i'm the same guy that said bomb Iraq in the mid-late 1990's because they were violating the UN and shooting ground to air missles at my Uncle in the southern no fly zone.

Raising tariffs would be a gamble during even boom times, given our massive volume of trade. To do it during recession is to be playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets!

We an't going to win this God damed thing.

The Chinese will only use Tibetian monk foreskins to drive the price down.

No tarrif can defeat brutality.

Forum List

Back