China flexes Muscle in Good ole Communist Fashion...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/05/i...int&adxnnlx=1083787316-Pkacd9LanmR0OECNsKSUCA

May 5, 2004
Display of Warships Signal Hong Kong of China's Resolve
By KEITH BRADSHER

ONG KONG, May 5 — A flotilla of Chinese warships sailed slowly down the length of Victoria Harbor today in a rare show of force that comes as democracy advocates here say they face growing intimidation by Beijing.

Two guided-missile destroyers, four guided-missile frigates and two submarines displayed China's military strength for the first time since the territory was handed over by Britain in 1997. It marked a distinct change of tactics by Beijing.

The Chinese military has been a nearly invisible presence here for the last seven years. Soldiers are required to wear civilian clothing when they leave their bases, and the main base is tucked away on an island at the harbor's western end..

But today , residents here watched as a submarine sailed past the downtown Bank of China tower, designed by I.M. Pei. Sailors in dress whites lined the sides of the destroyers and frigates, and some gave friendly waves to workers on a passing tugboat.

The People's Liberation Army described the visit as an occasion to honor the navy's 55th anniversary. But there was no such visit on the 50th anniversary in 1999. Today's display, too, came as people favoring popular elections here find themselves under growing pressure.

The city's best-known radio talk show host, Albert Cheng, a longtime supporter of greater democracy and a critic of the local government, flew to Europe on Sunday, beginning a vacation that he said would last for the rest of the year.

He left behind a tape recording, aired Monday, in which he complained of growing threats of violence against himself and his family. It described an increasingly "suffocating" political atmosphere.

Great!:rolleyes: IS China trying to capitalize on the fact that we are preoccupied? And of course the UN will not do anything about this. Isnt China on that Human Rights board as well? I think they had a few genocides, so that is a prerequisite nowadays to get on the board.

Forum List

Back