Children do not need teachers to learn.

Discussion in 'Education' started by LilOlLady, Nov 7, 2011.

1. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    CHILDREN DO NOT NEED TEACHERS TO LEARN.
    Beyond the 3rd grade.

We need to stop blaming teachers when children cannot read, write, spell and do simple math. All a child need beyond the 3rd grade is text books and a desire to learn. Some things has taken away children’s desire or will to learn. To much technology that does the work for them. Computers, calculators and Word Perfect.
    I went to McDonalds and my order came to $2.89 and gave the cashier $5, a dime and a penny and she could not give me change because the computerized cashier was down. Even when it is working she could not count my change back to me.
    I know a kid who dropped out of the 10th grade because he was failing and bored. After ditching school for almost a year and spending the day in the library. He got his GED, went to work for AT&T at age 18, took a few classes at the community college and is not supervisor making over $100,000 a year with $10,000 yearly bonuses. There are many children like him. Bill Gate dropped out of college.
    Teachers have not changed. Our children has. If a child pass the 8th grade and cannot read, write, spell and do simple math, he or her parents should be arrested for child neglect.

2. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    :eusa_eh:

PS-I know someone who worked his ass off at school, got a MBA and now makes a lot more than just $100K. Not trying to brag (it's not me). Just saying you can absolutely focus on individuals who are the exception to the rule-but that doesn't mean it's representative of the norm.

3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    No wonder the kid couldn't make change. By handing over $5, a dime, and a penny you were then owed $2.22 as change.

But I get your point. No, kids don't really need a teacher but they need decent parents. Not everyone is an Abraham Lincoln.

4. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    How the fuck would you know? You dropped out of school after the 3rd grade?

WELCOME THE 21ST CENTURY

I guess it was slide rules and typewriters that screwed the previous generation - and before that the abacus and the stylus.

THAT'S WHAT YOU GET FOR MINIMUM WAGE, if you want better service go to a classier establishment. Sorry, but you can't really bitch when you go take your business to the lowest common denominator.

And what the fuck did you give her the dime and the penny for? She's going to hand you 2 dollars 2 dimes and 2 pennies back - as $5.11 - $2.89 = $2.22. What are you, some stupid McDonald's employee who dropped out in 3rd grade? Or were you deliberately trying to confuse a minimum wage worker? WTF?

HAVE. IT'S "OUR CHILDREN HAVE" - NOT "HAS"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  5. JamesInFlorida

JamesInFlorida Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +184
    That's my favorite part of the post, that the OP hands them an extra dime and penny...only to get them back as part of their change. Then gets upset when they don't know how to do math. LOL

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  6. OohPooPahDoo

OohPooPahDoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    If the cashier makes the casual assumption that the customer - in this case, the OP - isn't a total moron - and being in a hurry, they might get confused. Why would the customer hand me a dime and a penny just for me to hand it back to them?

7. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    You're as much a moron for repeating my post. Lighten up.

Lots of kids are home schooled. And even the dropouts can ultimately lead financially successful lives. But it takes initiative, drive, and a dream.

My dad dropped out of 8th grade back in the 30's. He died broke, but left behind an asset that's worth $80 million today.

There are too many worthless teachers in the education system, and they're being kept there by union association. They do much harm to our kids. Should they go? No question about that.
    Should the union go? No question about that either.

8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,963
    Yea, children don't need teachers. Hmm.
    6%

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Some people are more autodidactic than others.

Post teaching children the fundamentals like reading and basic math, the point of good education is mostly teaching people how to learn (and THINK FOR) for themselves.

As ought to be apparent to those who frequent this board and so many others like this board, the THINKING FOR ONESELF component of education is sorely lacking.

10. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,963
    Republicans prove everyday how little they think for themselves.

90%

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2