Childless Women Also Deserve A Maternity Leave

Alex.

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2014
"Childless women also deserve a maternity leave. The concept is deemed a "meternity" leaveFoye, 38, thought up the idea when she was a magazine editor and became "envious" of her co-workers who would leave to care for their children after their eight hour days. She said that she felt as if all of the childless workers had to then pick up the slack and work for ten or more hours a day.

One quote, in particular, seems to be drawing the most controversy, as Foye said, "It seemed that parenthood was the only path that provided a modicum of flexibility. There’s something about saying 'I need to go pick up my child' as a reason to leave the office on time that has far more gravitas than, say, 'My best friend just got ghosted by her OkCupid date and needs a margarita' — but both sides are valid."

Foye says she came to the belief all women should be able to take time off of work so that they can "shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn't revolve around their job".

Author suggests childless women also deserve maternity leave

Taking time off of work for any reason or no reason is always a good idea but to compare the life of a parent with a child or children and a childless person is beyond the pale. Two very distinct lifestyles, two extremely different sets of responsibilities and there should not be parity of benefits or perks between them.

The author could have and should have bargained for a different benefit/perk package than the one she had when she began her job rather than try to play the sympathy card.

"Childless women also deserve a maternity leave. The concept is deemed a "meternity" leaveFoye, 38, thought up the idea when she was a magazine editor and became "envious" of her co-workers who would leave to care for their children after their eight hour days. She said that she felt as if all of the childless workers had to then pick up the slack and work for ten or more hours a day.

One quote, in particular, seems to be drawing the most controversy, as Foye said, "It seemed that parenthood was the only path that provided a modicum of flexibility. There’s something about saying 'I need to go pick up my child' as a reason to leave the office on time that has far more gravitas than, say, 'My best friend just got ghosted by her OkCupid date and needs a margarita' — but both sides are valid."

Foye says she came to the belief all women should be able to take time off of work so that they can "shift their focus to the part of their lives that doesn't revolve around their job".

Taking time off of work for any reason or no reason is always a good idea but to compare the life of a parent with a child or children and a childless person is beyond the pale. Two very distinct lifestyles, two extremely different sets of responsibilities and there should not be parity of benefits or perks between them.

The author could have and should have bargained for a different benefit/perk package than the one she had when she began her job rather than try to play the sympathy card.

Common sense please.
Maternal= relating to a mother.
What the author is requesting is a 6 month vacation....

• Banned

Common sense please.
Maternal= relating to a mother.
What the author is requesting is a 6 month vacation....
That is how I read it as well. She is a game player and a manipulator.

Forum List

Back