Chief Justice Roberts Is A Genius

Bottom line....THE GOP LOST!

Tax or Pentalty, the law is there and has stood the SC test. The GOP will need to remove kids on respirators and throw old people in the street in order to get a repeal. I would love to see that!

Go for it Mitt!

O sold it as a mandate, not a massive tax increase. O lied repeatedly saying that this was not a tax increase.

This is also Krauthammers perspective.

Chief Justice Roberts actually ruled the mandate, relative to the commerce clause, was unconstitutional. That’s how the Democrats got Obama-care going in the first place. This is critical. His ruling means Congress can’t compel American citizens to purchase anything. Ever. The notion is now officially and forever, unconstitutional. As it should be.

Next, he stated that, because Congress doesn’t have the ability to mandate, it must, to fund Obama-care, rely on its power to tax. Therefore, the mechanism that funds Obama-care is a tax. This is also critical. Recall back during the initial Obama-care battles, the Democrats called it a penalty, Republicans called it a tax. Democrats consistently soft sold it as a penalty. It went to vote as a penalty. Obama declared endlessly, that it was not a tax, it was a penalty. But when the Democrats argued in front of the Supreme Court, they said ‘hey, a penalty or a tax, either way’. So, Roberts gave them a tax. It is now the official law of the land — beyond word-play and silly shenanigans. Obama-care is funded by tax dollars. Democrats now must defend a tax increase to justify the Obama-care law.

Finally, he struck down as unconstitutional, the Obama-care idea that the federal government can bully states into complying by yanking their existing medicaid funding. Liberals, through Obama-care, basically said to the states — ‘comply with Obama-care or we will stop existing funding.’ Roberts ruled that is a no-no. If a state takes the money, fine, the Feds can tell the state how to run a program, but if the state refuses money, the federal government can’t penalize the state by yanking other funding. Therefore, a state can decline to participate in Obama-care without penalty. This is obviously a serious problem. Are we going to have 10, 12, 25 states not participating in “national” health-care? Suddenly, it’s not national, is it?

Ultimately, Roberts supported states rights by limiting the federal government’s coercive abilities.

Tax increases are only for wars I gather. Taxes are way up, for many Americans, since the Bush 'tax cut'. If you live in Saudi Arabia, you are rolling in money, after Iraq & the cuts.

This is also Krauthammers perspective.

Chief Justice Roberts actually ruled the mandate, relative to the commerce clause, was unconstitutional. That’s how the Democrats got Obama-care going in the first place. This is critical. His ruling means Congress can’t compel American citizens to purchase anything. Ever. The notion is now officially and forever, unconstitutional. As it should be.

Next, he stated that, because Congress doesn’t have the ability to mandate, it must, to fund Obama-care, rely on its power to tax. Therefore, the mechanism that funds Obama-care is a tax. This is also critical. Recall back during the initial Obama-care battles, the Democrats called it a penalty, Republicans called it a tax. Democrats consistently soft sold it as a penalty. It went to vote as a penalty. Obama declared endlessly, that it was not a tax, it was a penalty. But when the Democrats argued in front of the Supreme Court, they said ‘hey, a penalty or a tax, either way’. So, Roberts gave them a tax. It is now the official law of the land — beyond word-play and silly shenanigans. Obama-care is funded by tax dollars. Democrats now must defend a tax increase to justify the Obama-care law.

Finally, he struck down as unconstitutional, the Obama-care idea that the federal government can bully states into complying by yanking their existing medicaid funding. Liberals, through Obama-care, basically said to the states — ‘comply with Obama-care or we will stop existing funding.’ Roberts ruled that is a no-no. If a state takes the money, fine, the Feds can tell the state how to run a program, but if the state refuses money, the federal government can’t penalize the state by yanking other funding. Therefore, a state can decline to participate in Obama-care without penalty. This is obviously a serious problem. Are we going to have 10, 12, 25 states not participating in “national” health-care? Suddenly, it’s not national, is it?

Ultimately, Roberts supported states rights by limiting the federal government’s coercive abilities.

Yeah, Krauthammer got it right.

I read somewhere that this ruling that Obamacare is a tax makes it easier to repeal requiring only a simple majority since it is a tax based program.

At any rate, this gives the GOP a major issue in the fall elections as Obama is without question now the biggest deficit spender and the biggest tax hiker in our nations history by far.

The Chief Justice is NOT a genius. He was duplicitous and he was a complete fail today.

The decision was there for the taking. And he personally fucked it up.

Dude, give it a few days before you make the voodoo doll on Roberts, OK?

He did a very clever play and gave the federal government its biggest roll back in power in decades.

He basically ruled that Congress cant coerce states into passing legislation by withoulding highway funds etc and that alone is worth going through the dirty work of repealing Obama care in Congress, which is where it should be done anyway.

Lefties like to ignore case law and elected majorities to engage in judicial legislation, not those who respect precedent.

I think Roberts threaded the proverbial needle.

"OBAMA: No. That’s not true, George. The — for us to say that you’ve got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase."

No, but — but, George, you — you can’t just make up that language and decide that that’s called a tax increase.

OBAMA: George, the fact that you looked up Merriam’s Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you’re stretching a little bit right now. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition.

STEPHANOPOULOS: I wanted to check for myself. But your critics say it is a tax increase.

OBAMA: My critics say everything is a tax increase. My critics say that I’m taking over every sector of the economy. You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we’re going to have an individual mandate or not, but…

STEPHANOPOULOS: But you reject that it’s a tax increase?

OBAMA: I absolutely reject that notion.

The president to George Stephanopoulos September 2009

Then he had his lawyers argue before the SCOTUS that this law was constitutional as either a justifiable mandate or as a tax. Roberts went with the tax, and struck down Congress giving individual mandates and corecing states to pass laws by witholding funds.

Tax or Pentalty, the law is there and has stood the SC test. The GOP will need to remove kids on respirators and throw old people in the street in order to get a repeal. I would love to see that!

Go for it Mitt!

O sold it as a mandate, not a massive tax increase. O lied repeatedly saying that this was not a tax increase.

It is a Pentalty...

Mandate? No. Tax? Yes. Dragooning? No-no

Obamacare was originally written as a "tax", not a penalty but was changed when Democrats balked at at an added tax.

1. "The tax point I think is relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things because this never could have passed as a tax," McConnell noted.

2. No lie. President Obama insisted that his health care package did not constitute a tax on the uninsured because he didn't want to be seen as a tax hiker. Obama knew that if he called the "penalty" a tax, the Affordable Care Act would not have garnered enough Democratic votes to pass both houses in 2010.

3. The big bench also overturned the Obamacare provision to withhold Medicaid funds from states that don't sign onto the law's new spending - which Roberts likened to "economic dragooning that leaves the states with no real option but to acquiesce in the Medicaid expansion." For those of you under 30, dragooning is a term for coercion that hails from before the Revolutionary War, when civilians were forced to house occupying militia.

5. Good analogy, but Obamacare's most egregious dragooning can be found in the law's requirement that employers take in new health care benefits that Uncle Sam doesn't have to pay for. Elections have consequences, and they're not always pretty.
Mandate? No. Tax? Yes. Dragooning? No-no - SFGate

I think the ruling was brilliantly written and explained.

The mandate is not regulatory under the "commerce clause" as originally sold to the public by Obama and his cronies; it is valid only as a tax. The court essentially threw the ball back to the people and the carefully worded ruling is a legal masterpiece- you really should take the time to read it (I did).

As a consequence of the decision, "We the people" will decide Obamacare's fate in 131 days. If Obama is re-elected the law will stand and that will be the end of the argument. If Obama loses, his signature legislative achievement will be repealed, gutted, and shredded.

Go for it Mitt!

It is a Pentalty...

Read the ruling fucknuts, it's a TAX.

The mandate is not regulatory under the "commerce clause" as originally sold to the public by Obama and his cronies; it is valid only as a tax. The court essentially threw the ball back to the people and the carefully worded ruling is a legal masterpiece- you really should take the time to read it (I did).

As a consequence of the decision, "We the people" will decide Obamacare's fate in 131 days. If Obama is re-elected the law will stand and that will be the end of the argument. If Obama loses, his signature legislative achievement will be repealed, gutted, and shredded.
Good call!

I do think Robert's comment about neither "wise or fair" was an open invitation to the American people to take their thoughts to the ballot box in November!

Chief Justice Roberts Is A Genius
Some just blame his meds:
"Let's talk about Roberts. I'm going to tell you something that you're not going to hear anywhere else, that you must pay attention to. It's well known that Roberts, unfortunately for him, has suffered from epileptic seizures. Therefore he has been on medication. Therefore neurologists will tell you that medication used for seizure disorders, such as epilepsy, can introduce mental slowing, forgetfulness and other cognitive problems. And if you look at Roberts' writings you can the cognitive disassociation in what he is saying," Michael Savage said on his radio program this evening.
Michael Savage: Roberts Epilepsy Medication Affects His Cognition | RealClearPolitics

Even for a Neocon like Michael Savage, this is pretty low.

"OBAMA: No. That’s not true, George. The — for us to say that you’ve got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase."

No, but — but, George, you — you can’t just make up that language and decide that that’s called a tax increase.

OBAMA: George, the fact that you looked up Merriam’s Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you’re stretching a little bit right now. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition.

STEPHANOPOULOS: I wanted to check for myself. But your critics say it is a tax increase.

OBAMA: My critics say everything is a tax increase. My critics say that I’m taking over every sector of the economy. You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we’re going to have an individual mandate or not, but…

STEPHANOPOULOS: But you reject that it’s a tax increase?

OBAMA: I absolutely reject that notion.

The president to George Stephanopoulos September 2009

And now it is a tax increase or certain aspects will be treated as a tax.
Where is Obama on this issue now.
Is it a tax or not...

As for Roberts I have heard a lot of people today say he ruled the way he did because
he did not want to be the guy to bring Health Care down....

Did he do his job or not?
I really think this is an issue here.

He did his job. I understand his wishing to preserve both the limitations of congress and the protection of the courts stature as not being seen as a partisan court.

Still, to pretend it does not rankle would be dishonest. I do get that it also rankles Obama's hope for more power then he was given- and that his bill is still able to be torn down. It also names his mandate for what it is a TAX and THAT won't be very fun to carry forward into the election. The single largest tax increase ever imposed on the backs of the poor and middle class.

So...a branch of government thats supposed to be impartial and not partisan was partisan.

what a wonderful day for America....and yet everyone else will be to busy looking at the smaller picture.

Chief Roberts is the Democraps' Trojan Horse.....they believe they received a gift today but can't see what is now going to happen in November.

Forum List

Back