Chief Justice Roberts Is A Genius

This is also Krauthammers perspective.

Chief Justice Roberts actually ruled the mandate, relative to the commerce clause, was unconstitutional. That’s how the Democrats got Obama-care going in the first place. This is critical. His ruling means Congress can’t compel American citizens to purchase anything. Ever. The notion is now officially and forever, unconstitutional. As it should be.

Next, he stated that, because Congress doesn’t have the ability to mandate, it must, to fund Obama-care, rely on its power to tax. Therefore, the mechanism that funds Obama-care is a tax. This is also critical. Recall back during the initial Obama-care battles, the Democrats called it a penalty, Republicans called it a tax. Democrats consistently soft sold it as a penalty. It went to vote as a penalty. Obama declared endlessly, that it was not a tax, it was a penalty. But when the Democrats argued in front of the Supreme Court, they said ‘hey, a penalty or a tax, either way’. So, Roberts gave them a tax. It is now the official law of the land — beyond word-play and silly shenanigans. Obama-care is funded by tax dollars. Democrats now must defend a tax increase to justify the Obama-care law.

Finally, he struck down as unconstitutional, the Obama-care idea that the federal government can bully states into complying by yanking their existing medicaid funding. Liberals, through Obama-care, basically said to the states — ‘comply with Obama-care or we will stop existing funding.’ Roberts ruled that is a no-no. If a state takes the money, fine, the Feds can tell the state how to run a program, but if the state refuses money, the federal government can’t penalize the state by yanking other funding. Therefore, a state can decline to participate in Obama-care without penalty. This is obviously a serious problem. Are we going to have 10, 12, 25 states not participating in “national” health-care? Suddenly, it’s not national, is it?

Ultimately, Roberts supported states rights by limiting the federal government’s coercive abilities.

Additionally, tax measures are not subject to filibuster, which means that this albatross of a law can be repealed with only 51 votes in the Senate.

yup, BUT the House is the place were any bills created to levy taxes etc. are supposed to originate,then they send it to the senate for a committee to confer on, then a vote,but that draft that both the senate and house buy off on, unless the bill is considered a vessel of/for such, never happened.....anyway for on any further requests for monies etc., since its funding mechanism is now a tax, as long as the gop has the house, good luck on that.

Additionally, tax measures are not subject to filibuster, which means that this albatross of a law can be repealed with only 51 votes in the Senate.

You do realize if that was his intention, he could have voted against it and still wrote the opinion.

Aaaaah...

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah. And with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, nevermind whining and uncontrolled sobbing in here today? I quite feel her pain.

Yes, the democrats are now responsible for a huge tax increase on the middle class. I wonder how far they will get in the election.

Good question. Let's see how many people are really as averse to the "T" word as you guys seem to think.

krauthammer is a dumbass. roberts just exponentially expanded what can be taxed.

Bottom line....THE GOP LOST!

Tax or Pentalty, the law is there and has stood the SC test. The GOP will need to remove kids on respirators and throw old people in the street in order to get a repeal. I would love to see that!

Go for it Mitt!

I didn't like it, but I agreed in part with Chief Justice Roberts. The people's Congress passed this Care Bill, and it is Congress' job to levy taxes, which this bill does.

As a consequence, I can see why he would be reluctant to cross the people's choices of people elected, if the elections were not corrupt.

If the people hate what happened enough, they will elect a new Congress to undo it.

Justice Roberts just put the pants back on the people.

No, I don't like it. But yes, it was a better decision than shutting the voters of America entirely down.

I hated Obamacare as much as any other conservative here, and I was reviled by the way in which it was "passed" if you call telling educated legislators not to read a bill, just pass it, and they obeyed.

Something is broke and needs fixing.

Roberts kicked us all upstairs and told us to get our thinking caps on.

Yeah. And with all the wailing and gnashing of teeth, nevermind whining and uncontrolled sobbing in here today? I quite feel her pain.

Yes, the democrats are now responsible for a huge tax increase on the middle class. I wonder how far they will get in the election.

Repeal the Bush Tax Cuts then.

Dem congress for the first two years Obama was in office. They could have repealed the tax cuts the same way they passed Obamacare (thru deceit and trickery).

Repeal the Bush Tax Cuts then.

Dem congress for the first two years Obama was in office. They could have repealed the tax cuts the same way they passed Obamacare (thru deceit and trickery).

"Deceit and trickery"??

No, they could have just not done anything and let them expire. They should have, too.

Forum List

Back