The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
New York City
With American Capitalism.

A Chicken War in New York, Where Afghans Rule the Roost

Ruth Fremson/The New York Times
By DAN BILEFSKY
Published: February 13, 2011
Abdul Haye, the self-styled Colonel Sanders of New York’s Afghan community, has declared a fried chicken war.
The Kennedy Fried Chicken in Corona is one of an estimated 350 Afghan-owned chicken restaurants in New York City.
He has armed himself with an unwritten secret recipe that he claims allows him to fry the best bird in town. His main weapon, he says, is ownership of the trademark for the Kennedy Fried Chicken brand, which has spawned hundreds of imitators as far south as Georgia, and has become to oily drumsticks what the ubiquitous Ray’s name once was to New York pizza.

That Kennedy, named after the former president, was itself a deliberate imitation of Kentucky Fried Chicken, down to those familiar initials — and that it had its own trademark battle a generation ago — seems to make little difference to Mr. Haye, 38. A wired and wiry resident of Whitestone, Queens, he began working as a chicken fryer when he was 17, soon after he immigrated in 1989, and describes his rivals with ire similar to that he reserves for the Taliban.

>o Snip

Hunched over a plate of lamb chops at his favorite Afghan restaurant in Queens, he shook his head and sighed: “You know, Afghans don’t even like eating fried chicken.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/14/nyregion/14chicken.html

No one check this out? Pretty funny story..and sorta of encouraging. I've seen the Kennedy Fried Chickens around NYC and always sort of wondered about it.

Never ate at one. But now I intend to try it!:lol:

Me too, I have seen a few Afghan restaurants but none where they serve fried chicken, hopefully I'll get a chance to try this out.

I've been to Afghan restaurants. Great food. Grilled lamb..lots of salads. Seems very healthy too.

Afghan food is excellent its right up there with my favorite food Persian cuisine, very hard to find outside of the bigger cities though.

iran-roast-_chicken_105766s.jpg

13-Zereshk%20polo%20Joojeh.jpg

Kebab_Iranian_food.jpg

Forum List

Back