Chevrolet Volt

I don't see these cars becoming popular any time soon.
Someone mentioned these cars have no air conditioning. If that's true I wouldn't own one if they cost $1,000 and got 50mpg.

No, I believe that th question was asked.

I can't imaging trying to sell any car withour air conditioning...and I found the following, which suggests they have it:

"...When not running air conditioning or heating, 138 mile range is expected in leisurely driving with slow acceleration and slow stopping. Drive on the highway while running the AC during summer heat, and only expect 70 miles.[in the Nissan Leaf]..."
Nissan LEAF and Chevrolet Volt Test Drive Comparisons

Man..if you guys ruled the roost back in the old days..there would be no airplanes, running water, toilets, or just about anything.

Come to think of it..the Dark ages..was the height of conservatism!
The Airplane was perfected by the Wright Brothers in the days before Social Security, The Welfare State, The National Education Association, The IRS, The Defense Department, Student Loans, Medicare, The EPA, OSHA, Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection, Center for Nutrition Policy, CIA, FBI, Peace Corps, Office of Personnel Management, National Council on Disability and Health and Human Services.

We are NOW entering the Dark Ages.

thats not a subsidy to or for a defined market.It was a public good issue, in that everyone would use such. And it is maintained by tax dollars.

yes we did. same as above.

No one asked for that, the TVA was pushed into and took the market for instance. There iutltites that were ready willing and able to provide that power.
There are hundreds of utilities that are not subsidized so as to create a market in this fashion.Those you mentioned above are for the public good and serve everyone not a sect. of the populace.

no, I am sorry, tax breaks aren't subsidies in this context. The oil co's paid, between 1970 and 2004 over 500 billion in taxes and they netted 650 billion. Please show me the same formula and justification for the volt and leaf?

we ae paying people to buy cars,these cars are not efficable, these cars are not a public good or serve everyone minus
You forget about the cost of the military presence in the ME, whose sole reason for being there is to protect our flow of oil.

Convenient.

I didn't 'forget' anything....whats Convenient is your apparent ability to ignore what you don't find Convenient.

go back and read my posts again. you missed one...Convenient.

Man..if you guys ruled the roost back in the old days..there would be no airplanes, running water, toilets, or just about anything.

The Airplane was perfected by the Wright Brothers in the days before Social Security, The Welfare State, The National Education Association, The IRS, The Defense Department, Student Loans, Medicare, The EPA, OSHA, Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection, Center for Nutrition Policy, CIA, FBI, Peace Corps, Office of Personnel Management, National Council on Disability and Health and Human Services.

The airplane was INVENTED by the Wright brothers.

Think the P51 was when the airplane was perfected after the new deal?

I don't see these cars becoming popular any time soon.
Someone mentioned these cars have no air conditioning. If that's true I wouldn't own one if they cost $1,000 and got 50mpg.

:lol:

They have a lot of negatives....

Indeed. At a huge premium for a vehicle which, at the end of the day, gets 37 MPG.

The Chevy Volt’s 93 “miles per gallon” rating is only for when it’s running on battery power at the beginning of a trip. According to the EPA, it runs about 35 miles on its initial charge, using no gasoline. The EPA assigned the number based on converting battery power to the equivalent energy in a given amount of gasoline.

Once the battery is depleted and the small, four-cylinder gasoline engine kicks in, the Chevrolet Volt gets a second, distinct EPA rating of 37 mpg. That’s good, but it’s in line with other cars with small, four-cylinder engines.

Chevy Volt Gets Two EPA Gas Mileage Estimates, Neither of Them 230 MPG | BNET

The airplane was INVENTED by the Wright brothers.

Think the P51 was when the airplane was perfected after the new deal?
Wow. Not even close. Men were flying gliders for decades before the Wright brothers flew on Kill Devil Hill.

For the record: The Wright brothers didn't invent the airplane, they built and flew the first heavier than air, self propelled aircraft. (with no government assistance needed!)

Also, the P-51 was built (in record time) to specs issued by the British Purchasing Commission. Plus, since the -A model was such a dog performance wise, the British yanked the Allison motor out and put in their own Rolls Royce power plant. Then, and only then, did it become the dominant fighter that it was.

No New Deal help needed!

Hi--

I have no political leanings per se (sorry); however, I do own a Volt. I purchased it in early January, and now have driven it about 5,000 miles.

Regardless of all its political shortcomings, the Volt is a wonderful car in every way: absolutely the best I've ever owned (including some pretty amazing cars). It is incredibly fuel efficient, using NO gas at all during daily commuting. Yet I can take long road trips, no worries, using the on-board gasoline generator and 9-gallon gas tank. This extends the range to about 350 miles. Then I just fill up and drive on, just as with any normal car.

At all times the Volt's wheels are driven by the electric traction motor. This means instant torque at all speeds, no transmission or gears, and glassy-smooth and eerily-quiet driving. Of course the Volt has air conditioning! In fact, it has amazing creature comforts, including state-of-the-art navigation, incredible climate-control (including auto-sensing seat-heaters) 5 years of OnStar, multiphone Bluetooth, a 30 GB hard drive for music and audiobooks, etc, etc, etc.

My prior car was a BMW 540i Sport, and I've owned other high-end sports cars as well. Don't laugh, but I like my volt better. Really. It's quicker off the line (remember, instant torque), it handles beautifully (the suspension uses Corvette technology), and it has a low mean prowling look. To me, this is one of the finest compact luxury sport sedans available today, at any price. So while $41K sounds like a lot, the Volt is worth EVERY penny.

Look, I know that none of us are happy with our government. Frankly, I gave up many years ago and starting focusing exclusively on technology, where I can actually make a difference. Shame on me, but it is what it is.

All I ask is that you consider NOT taking out your frustrations on the Volt. While I hate subsidies and bail-outs just as much as anyone, the fact is that the Volt truly is a GREAT new American car.

That's all I ask. :)

Chris

I assume these cars do not have air conditioning.

For people in the South and Southwest in the summer. This is a major problem.

The batteries don't work they fizzle out really quick. They can't take the heat. So you are constantly replacing the batteries, way too expensive for those who live in south and southwest.
I don't know about if they have air conditioning or not but we are not getting one. We can't afford it.

Hi--

I have no political leanings per se (sorry); however, I do own a Volt. I purchased it in early January, and now have driven it about 5,000 miles.

Regardless of all its political shortcomings, the Volt is a wonderful car in every way: absolutely the best I've ever owned (including some pretty amazing cars). It is incredibly fuel efficient, using NO gas at all during daily commuting. Yet I can take long road trips, no worries, using the on-board gasoline generator and 9-gallon gas tank. This extends the range to about 350 miles. Then I just fill up and drive on, just as with any normal car.

At all times the Volt's wheels are driven by the electric traction motor. This means instant torque at all speeds, no transmission or gears, and glassy-smooth and eerily-quiet driving. Of course the Volt has air conditioning! In fact, it has amazing creature comforts, including state-of-the-art navigation, incredible climate-control (including auto-sensing seat-heaters) 5 years of OnStar, multiphone Bluetooth, a 30 GB hard drive for music and audiobooks, etc, etc, etc.

My prior car was a BMW 540i Sport, and I've owned other high-end sports cars as well. Don't laugh, but I like my volt better. Really. It's quicker off the line (remember, instant torque), it handles beautifully (the suspension uses Corvette technology), and it has a low mean prowling look. To me, this is one of the finest compact luxury sport sedans available today, at any price. So while $41K sounds like a lot, the Volt is worth EVERY penny.

Look, I know that none of us are happy with our government. Frankly, I gave up many years ago and starting focusing exclusively on technology, where I can actually make a difference. Shame on me, but it is what it is.

All I ask is that you consider NOT taking out your frustrations on the Volt. While I hate subsidies and bail-outs just as much as anyone, the fact is that the Volt truly is a GREAT new American car.

That's all I ask. :)

Chris

Do you live where it gets up to 115 or even 120 degrees in the summer?
If you do, does it work well in that heat?

The batteries don't work they fizzle out really quick. They can't take the heat. So you are constantly replacing the batteries, way too expensive for those who live in south and southwest.

Actually, the Volt battery has an 8-year 100,000 mile factory warranty, and advanced internal temperature control.

There's a great video that describes it: YouTube - The 2011 Chevy Volt battery

Do you live where it gets up to 115 or even 120 degrees in the summer? If you do, does it work well in that heat?

No, I live in Philadelphia. It was quite cold this winter, so my Volt saw all of that, and performed perfectly. There are a number of Volt owners in Arizona and Florida. They all report great things, including brilliant air conditioning! :)

Here's another video on testing the Volt in extreme climates (sorry, this forum refuses urls from me).

You Tube - 2011 Chevy Volt: Hot Weather Testing in Yuma, Arizona

You Tube - Volt: Cold Weather Testing

Actually, the Volt battery has an 8-year 100,000 mile factory warranty, and advanced internal temperature control.

There's a great video that describes it: YouTube - The 2011 Chevy Volt battery

A Nissan Versa costs $10K - that is less than the cost of new batteries for the "Volt". I could drive 4 of them for 100,000 miles each, throw them away, and still be ahead of the game over a VOLT.

You have your reasons for buying the VOLT- good for you. I am happy that you like it (for the price you paid- you'd better like it!). But please, stop pretending that it makes financial sense. Because we all know that it doesn't.

Do you live where it gets up to 115 or even 120 degrees in the summer? If you do, does it work well in that heat?

No, I live in Philadelphia. It was quite cold this winter, so my Volt saw all of that, and performed perfectly. There are a number of Volt owners in Arizona and Florida. They all report great things, including brilliant air conditioning! :)

Here's another video on testing the Volt in extreme climates (sorry, this forum refuses urls from me).

You Tube - 2011 Chevy Volt: Hot Weather Testing in Yuma, Arizona

You Tube - Volt: Cold Weather Testing

Here's one more where they test the Volt under heat lamps at over 200 F. (yikes)

You Tube - Chevrolet Volt Solar Heat Test

You have your reasons for buying the VOLT- good for you. I am happy that you like it (for the price you paid- you'd better like it!). But please, stop pretending that it makes financial sense. Because we all know that it doesn't.

I agree with you 100%, to each our own.

Regarding "pretending that it makes financial sense" if I used logic along the lines you suggest, I would drive a 15-year-old Yugo (or something even more economical if I could find it).

Again, to each our own. :)

I just cannot understand the anti electric vehicle mania bunch.

Can you tow a 5,000 camper with it? How about a 3,800 bass boat? How much does the electric upgrade you have to do to your house to charge the SOB up?

I'll take a gas-swilling Tundra anyday.

Also - firefighters/EMTs HATE these electric vehicles. When they arrive on scene of an accident and have to pry someone out of these POS', they're shitscared.

Sawing through elecrical wires - not cool.

Forum List

Back