Chevrolet Volt

Do Liberals earn enough to purchase a 45K automobile? Most are on the government teat already, barely getting by on the minimum wage.

You have your reasons for buying the VOLT- good for you. I am happy that you like it (for the price you paid- you'd better like it!). But please, stop pretending that it makes financial sense. Because we all know that it doesn't.
:lol:

I agree with you 100%, to each our own.

Regarding "pretending that it makes financial sense" if I used logic along the lines you suggest, I would drive a 15-year-old Yugo (or something even more economical if I could find it).

Again, to each our own. :)
I drive a CLS-550 AMG Diamond White Edition Mercedes Benz- the car cost a lot of money and is also expensive to maintain and insure. The tires alone are $1,800 to replace and only last about 30,000 miles. I don't pretend it was a good financial choice. I had other reasons for buying it- none were financial.

The VOLT, by contrast, is marketed as a money saving vehicle. :cuckoo:

It is a glorified golf cart that costs a small fortune to own when compared to truly economical cars like the Versa, Yaris, et. al.

Can you tow a 5,000 camper with it? How about a 3,800 bass boat? How much does the electric upgrade you have to do to your house to charge the SOB up?

The Volt currently is not designed for towing. Maybe someday.

It costs about $1.50 in electricity for a full Volt charge = roughly 35 to 40 miles. So that's about 1/3 the cost today of driving a fuel-efficient car the same distance on gasoline.

Can you tow a 5,000 camper with it? How about a 3,800 bass boat? How much does the electric upgrade you have to do to your house to charge the SOB up?

The Volt currently is not designed for towing. Maybe someday.

It costs about $1.50 in electricity for a full Volt charge = roughly 35 to 40 miles. So that's about 1/3 the cost today of driving a fuel-efficient car the same distance on gasoline.
What a shill....:cuckoo:

Do Liberals earn enough to purchase a 45K automobile? Most are on the government teat already, barely getting by on the minimum wage.

I have a 1995 Sedan DeVille which is in perfect mechanical condition and cosmetically is in 98% showroom condition. Not a scratch on its gleaming hunter green body or a blemish on its ivory leather interior. It has less than 75k miles and is the most comfortable car I've ever owned or driven. It is warm as toast in winter and the air conditioner couldn't be better.

It rides like a sailboat, gets me around in pure comfort, is a nice-looking car and I have absolutely no need or wish to own a newer one. If I wanted to I could but I don't drive much, I'm content with what I have and would much rather spend the money on my grandkids.

Man..if you guys ruled the roost back in the old days..there would be no airplanes, running water, toilets, or just about anything.

Come to think of it..the Dark ages..was the height of conservatism!

Were the inventions airplanes, running water, and toilets financed by taxpayer bail outs?

Yes, to all of them. The military, tax dollars, were the primary developer of airplanes. Water to most of our homes comes through a municipal water system. Guess who built that and how it was financed. And laws concerning sanitation made indoor plumbing a neccessity. Otherwise, you Conservatives would still be shitting in your back yard.

Running water sure has been finianced by tax dollars.

all that aside, perhaps the volt is a bad vehicle, but the electric car will improve and survive.
You better hope so unless you like paying $10 for gas.

Really? Indoor plumbing was INVENTED by THE GOVERNMENT?

Link, s'il te plait.

I've figured out that you are just plain dishonest. Who claimed indoor plumbing was invented by the government?

Most of these dingleberries do not realize that the Minoans had indoor plumbing 3600 years ago, and that included flush toilets.

Man..if you guys ruled the roost back in the old days..there would be no airplanes, running water, toilets, or just about anything.

Come to think of it..the Dark ages..was the height of conservatism!

Were the inventions airplanes, running water, and toilets financed by taxpayer bail outs?

Yes, to all of them. The military, tax dollars, were the primary developer of airplanes. Water to most of our homes comes through a municipal water system. Guess who built that and how it was financed. And laws concerning sanitation made indoor plumbing a neccessity. Otherwise, you Conservatives would still be shitting in your back yard.

Wow! prrhaps I should quit using them for fish bait then?

There is no way that this can be done economically at present. However, all it would take is a breakthrough in battery technology for this to be practical. The nation that is host to the company that makes that breakthrough will benefit greatly from it.

Electric Mini: 0-60 in 4 Seconds: It Has Motors In Its Wheels : TreeHugger

A British engineering firm has put together a high-performance hybrid version of BMW's Mini Cooper. The PML Mini QED has a top speed of 150 mph, a 0-60 mph time of 4.5 seconds. The car uses a small gasoline engine with four 160 horsepower electric motors — one on each wheel. The car has been designed to run for four hours of combined urban/extra urban driving, powered only by a battery and bank of ultra capacitors. The QED supports an all-electric range of 200-250 miles and has a total range of about 932 miles (1,500 km). For longer journeys at higher speeds, a small conventional internal combustion engine (ICE) is used to re-charge the battery. In this hybrid mode, fuel economies of up to 80mpg can be achieved.

I just cannot understand the anti electric vehicle mania bunch.

I'll take a gas-swilling Tundra anyday.

Ew, has that Tundra company fixed their frame tech issue or do you plan on trading it in before the rust becomes an issue for towing?

I mean if you lease it fine, who cares I suppose. My 65 year old mother should honestly lease cars she flips them so quick. She asks me all these questions about reliability then turns in whatever, a 40k mile vehicle!

Sometimes for work I have to drive one of the medium trucks. Sucks I agree dealing with too big a vehicle for your daily needs just so you can haul a trailer forty weekends a year. Bad fuel economy the other 280 days. Like the empty SUV folks who could drive a MR2 six of seven days a week I suppose.

You have your reasons for buying the VOLT- good for you. I am happy that you like it (for the price you paid- you'd better like it!). But please, stop pretending that it makes financial sense. Because we all know that it doesn't.
:lol:

Regarding "pretending that it makes financial sense" if I used logic along the lines you suggest, I would drive a 15-year-old Yugo (or something even more economical if I could find it).

I drive a CLS-550 AMG Diamond White Edition Mercedes Benz- the car cost a lot of money and is also expensive to maintain and insure. The tires alone are $1,800 to replace and only last about 30,000 miles. I don't pretend it was a good financial choice. I had other reasons for buying it- none were financial.

It is a glorified golf cart that costs a small fortune to own when compared to truly economical cars like the Versa, Yaris, et. al.

Ouch on the Mercedes. But hey, I have a 68 Mustang not because it is efficient but because it is fun. Have a rep for admitting you bought your car because u like it.

Ouch on the Mercedes. But hey, I have a 68 Mustang not because it is efficient but because it is fun. Have a rep for admitting you bought your car because u like it.

Thanks Tornado- yes it's a ridiculously expensive car. But I can afford it and what the hell, it makes me feel important when I pull up to the valet. :clap2:

Actually, my wife drives it most of the time. I drive a Nissan Titan pick up truck for business. I have always lived well below my means and because of that, I am now financially independent (meaning that I work because I want to, not because I have too!). When I was in the accumulation phase of life, I drove and purchased used cars that got good mileage and were inexpensive to own. I delayed gratification for a very long time to be able to drive around in that overpriced car. :lol:

Thanks Tornado- yes it's a ridiculously expensive car. But I can afford it and what the hell, it makes me feel important when I pull up to the valet. :clap2:

Actually, my wife drives it most of the time. I drive a Nissan Titan pick up truck for business. <B>I have always lived well below my means and because of that, I am now financially independent </B>(meaning that I work because I want to, not because I have too!). When I was in the accumulation phase of life, I drove and purchased used cars that got good mileage and were inexpensive to own. I delayed gratification for a very long time to be able to drive around in that overpriced car. :lol:

You should lecture folks on personal economics.

I suppose the country has to "Keep up with the Jones' " or Chinese or whoever but individuals who take on such ridiculous monthly payments in relationship to their income are idiots.

Think my next car might be something made in the 2000's but that isn't coming for a couple years.

Thanks Tornado- yes it's a ridiculously expensive car. But I can afford it and what the hell, it makes me feel important when I pull up to the valet.
So you can choose to drive a "stupid" car but everyone else should listen to your pronouncements as to what vehicle is appropriate for them? Seems like you're suffering from something of a God complex. As a FYI, I get a smug sense of satisfaction whenever I see someone driving a slow, dirty, noisy, vibration ridden internal combustion car and think of how technologically advanced my Volt is.

No offense, but I'm having some trouble believing the Mercedes story. If you did drive one you'd know that a Mercedes gets you zip from valets. At the moment the only people driving a Mercedes are 55+ or Asian or posers. Basically everyone who hasn't gotten the memo about how passe the Mercedes brand is. Yeah, the guy who cuts my hair drives one, but that's about the brand's status level, which is why it won't remotely get you a front row parking place at a nice restaurant.

I bought a Volt. I love it. And since it's far and away the cheapest car I've ever bought, it has already saved me at least $20K, and that's before I drive it for a month on what it would cost me to buy a can of nuts. (Expensive nuts but you get the point). I particularly like the fact that I'm getting a tax rebate which makes the car even less expensive. In fact I'm getting two rebates. Thank you very much. And if you think I feel badly about this you need to think again. I paid cash for my house so I've never gotten a tax break on my mortgage, and I'm sick and tired for paying more in taxes so other people can get tax breaks on their houses and charities and medical insurance and children, and I'm delighted for once to be able to keep some of my hard dollars rather than sending them to Uncle Sam. And if you don't like that, too bad so sad.

As for your not wanting a Volt, that's great. They are in such short supply that your not ordering one will just make someone else a happy camper. They thank you.

Thanks Tornado- yes it's a ridiculously expensive car. But I can afford it and what the hell, it makes me feel important when I pull up to the valet.
So you can choose to drive a "stupid" car but everyone else should listen to your pronouncements as to what vehicle is appropriate for them? Seems like you're suffering from something of a God complex. As a FYI, I get a smug sense of satisfaction whenever I see someone driving a slow, dirty, noisy, vibration ridden internal combustion car and think of how technologically advanced my Volt is.

No offense, but I'm having some trouble believing the Mercedes story. If you did drive one you'd know that a Mercedes gets you zip from valets. At the moment the only people driving a Mercedes are 55+ or Asian or posers. Basically everyone who hasn't gotten the memo about how passe the Mercedes brand is. Yeah, the guy who cuts my hair drives one, but that's about the brand's status level, which is why it won't remotely get you a front row parking place at a nice restaurant.

I bought a Volt. I love it. And since it's far and away the cheapest car I've ever bought, it has already saved me at least $20K, and that's before I drive it for a month on what it would cost me to buy a can of nuts. (Expensive nuts but you get the point). I particularly like the fact that I'm getting a tax rebate which makes the car even less expensive. In fact I'm getting two rebates. Thank you very much. And if you think I feel badly about this you need to think again. I paid cash for my house so I've never gotten a tax break on my mortgage, and I'm sick and tired for paying more in taxes so other people can get tax breaks on their houses and charities and medical insurance and children, and I'm delighted for once to be able to keep some of my hard dollars rather than sending them to Uncle Sam. And if you don't like that, too bad so sad.

As for your not wanting a Volt, that's great. They are in such short supply that your not ordering one will just make someone else a happy camper. They thank you.

I could care less what you drive and even less what you think. If you want to drive a Volt - go for it. But please don't go around telling anyone that driving it is "saving" you money. :cuckoo:

PS- A trailer is not a house. :lol:

Another OP that shows, when the right said they wanted their country back, they weren't kidding,,,,backwards.

Let me deflate your post, and comment on your reading comprehension at the same time...

The OP was not opinion, it was informational.

I merely posted my notes on the article from Consumer's Reports, and the only thing I added was the price of kWh of electicity in NYC.

So...
1. is it your contention that CR is right wing?

2. can you show the OP to be a hit piece?

3. would you care to review and revise your post?

Have a great Easter.

Forum List

Back