Cherokee Purple

Larsky

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2016
DuPage County
These are hands down the best homegrown Tomato you can plant.

41gHnCJ3tnL.jpg

Love them. We like to try several varieties of heirloom tomatoes every year. Found a great little seed company in my neck of the woods with the most fabulous selection of open pollinated, non-hybrid, non-GMO, untreated, natural seeds. Heritage Harvest Seeds.

This year we are committing to Indigo Rose, Ferris Wheel (1898), and Nebraska Wedding (1800's).

Last edited:
I like that they don't have too much youge--ya know, the soft seedy stuff in the holes. When I make salad I always squeez that out.
Those heirloom tomatoes are sweet.

We get them around here every year. They're a bit too soft for my taste though.

I like that they don't have too much youge--ya know, the soft seedy stuff in the holes. When I make salad I always squeez that out.
Those heirloom tomatoes are sweet.

I had no idea that stuff had a name.

This is YUGE.

Love them. We like to try several varieties of heirloom tomatoes every year. Found a great little seed company in my neck of the woods with the most fabulous selection of open pollinated, non-hybrid, non-GMO, untreated, natural seeds.

I still have to buy my seeds via mailorder. But the heirloom tomatoes are worth it.

The only drawback I have found to the Cherokee Purple is that they tend to spoil quicker than other varieties. But then, the way I eat them that is not a problem.

Me and tomatoes don't get along. I've tried several times to grow different types but they always seem to succumb to some issue or ailment, no matter how I baby them. Tomatoes are fussy, or I just don't live right.

Me and tomatoes don't get along. I've tried several times to grow different types but they always seem to succumb to some issue or ailment, no matter how I baby them. Tomatoes are fussy, or I just don't live right.

Onliest problem I've had growing tomatoes is when it rains so often they never dry out and then they mildew to death. That, and finding them enough sunlight here in the woods. And keeping them away from deer.

Gotta choose hardy varieties though.

Im not very hot on tomatoes. Spaghetti and what not... Maybe a slice with some mayo..
I have tomatilloes that grow wild at the house. They grow like crazy!

Im not very hot on tomatoes. Spaghetti and what not... Maybe a slice with some mayo..
I have tomatilloes that grow wild at the house. They grow like crazy!
Yes! Mayo on the tomato slices. Haven't had that since I was a kid. The old timers loved 'em that way.

Brown bottom rot? Too much water.

Brown bottom rot? Too much water.
Sounds serious. I recall one year when the tops all cracked wide open and the books said they needed calcium. But of course, by then it was too late.

Most issues with tomatoes go back to the soil. If you are using potting soil they will tease you. Look great at first then die before they are ripe.

Forum List

Back