Cheney's former company makes huge mistake

Ironic it has to do w/ one of the most contentious/potentially environmentally damaging (polluting) method of extraction too.

Halliburton misplaces mystery radioactive device - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience | NBC News
Halliburton misplaces mystery radioactive device: 'Do not handle'
If you happen to spot the missing tool, stay 25 feet away and call the cops

You mean, mining? I didn't think Halliburton was in the mining business? Most of their business is helping produce eco friendly natural gas, and certainly that isn't contentious except among human haters in general (those defined as not wanting humans to do anything, ever, lest even their very breath cause some discomfort to some species, somewhere, once).

As far as what they lost, please, you think this stuff is weapons grade material or something?

Neutron Radiography is used in DOZENS of industrial applications for non-destructive testing and imaging of parts, containers, and other large structures and vessels that cannot be scanned with X-rays.

It's also used for cancer therapy. Nothing truly evil or damaging about it..
Despite the public perception -- nuclear materials are WIDESPREAD in use.. Another reason why the Govt should fulfill their promise to finish Yucca Mountain...

Nuclear waste should be stored underneath each state capitol whose state produces it.
States rights, states responsibilities.

Nuclear waste should be stored underneath each state capitol whose state produces it.
States rights, states responsibilities.

Cute -- but not economical or practical.. The majority of nuclear waste BY VOLUME is medical and industrial. NOT the fuel rods from reactors. Mostly hospital gowns, barium enemas, and retired lab equipment.

HEY HEY HEY --- It occured to me that HOMELAND SECURITY SHOULD be able to retrieve this tube for Halliburton. After all -- haven't they spent BILLIONS on development of trackers for nuclear dirty bombs and such???? There's gotta be an airborne drone in a hangar somewhere that could search West Texas for this thing..

Either that -- or we're wasting a lot of money on DHS...... :lol:

As far as what they lost, please, you think this stuff is weapons grade material or something?

I doubt it's about what was lost at all. Looks more like an opportunity to take a shot at Cheney and the republicans.

It's Cheney's fault! Look at what he did.

Because of this, we should totally ignore that obama has been a complete disaster.

More interesting would be the proprietary chemicals Halliburton uses in fracking. That way families could know exactly what contaminents Halliburton has injected into their groundwater. Halliburton isn't gonna truck in potable water forever - homeowners will be stuck with the cleanup bill.

Regards from Rosie

More interesting would be the proprietary chemicals Halliburton uses in fracking. That way families could know exactly what contaminents Halliburton has injected into their groundwater.

Halliburton doesn't inject proprietary chemicals into anyone's ground water. They inject them into oil and gas producing formations which certainly aren't used by families as their water supply.

RosieS said:
Halliburton isn't gonna truck in potable water forever - homeowners will be stuck with the cleanup bill.

Regards from Rosie

What cleanup bill? Are you suggesting that the average homeowner knows anything about the production of oil and gas from their property and are qualified in any way to manage said operations, let alone "cleaning" them up somehow? Hell, landowners don't even know what fracking is, certainly they can't be trusted with complex industrial operations any more than they can brain surgery.

Cheney had to have the material to power his new heart.

More interesting would be the proprietary chemicals Halliburton uses in fracking. That way families could know exactly what contaminents Halliburton has injected into their groundwater.

Halliburton doesn't inject proprietary chemicals into anyone's ground water. They inject them into oil and gas producing formations which certainly aren't used by families as their water supply.

RosieS said:
Halliburton isn't gonna truck in potable water forever - homeowners will be stuck with the cleanup bill.

Regards from Rosie

What cleanup bill? Are you suggesting that the average homeowner knows anything about the production of oil and gas from their property and are qualified in any way to manage said operations, let alone "cleaning" them up somehow? Hell, landowners don't even know what fracking is, certainly they can't be trusted with complex industrial operations any more than they can brain surgery.

Why do you underestimate the intelligence of Americans?

I just found these two nuggets:

U.S. Government Confirms Link Between Earthquakes and Hydraulic Fracturing
On 5 November an earthquake measuring 5.6 rattled Oklahoma and was felt as far away as Illinois.

Until two years ago Oklahoma typically had about 50 earthquakes a year, but in 2010, 1,047 quakes shook the state.

Why?

In Lincoln County, where most of this past weekend's seismic incidents were centered, there are 181 injection wells, according to Matt Skinner, an official from the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, the agency which oversees oil and gas production in the state.
Facts On Fracking, Pros & Cons of Hydraulic Fracturing For Natural Gas (Infographic) : TreeHugger
Fracking uses between 1- 8 MILLION Gallons of water per well to crack the rock. Thats up to 200 tanker trucks of water per well. In many cases only 30%- 50% of the water is recovered.
:eusa_whistle:

You have to hand it to libs, they really know what they are doing. On the one hand they promote natural gas as an alternative fuel, and with the same hand, object to fracking which is how we get the natural gas.

Natural gas is a good, clean- burning, energy source BUT you don't want to negate the upside of using it by increasing the downside (huge amts of unrecovered water & chemicals) of obtaining it.

Let's just assume the fracking fluids contain a small amount of benzene.. (I don't believe that's a NECCESSARY ingredient) Anyone here take Organic Chem?

Injecting a gallon of benzene into a fossil fuel reserve is like pissing in sewer.. FAR more benzene in the rock you're fracking than what you're putting in... Same for other hydrocarbon compounds NATURALLY occuring in a LARGE Nat Gas field..

Next problem???

Decades of experience with them.

Dot Com said:
Until two years ago Oklahoma typically had about 50 earthquakes a year, but in 2010, 1,047 quakes shook the state.

Why?

Why do earthquakes happen? What are you, American?

Dot Com said:
Fracking uses between 1- 8 MILLION Gallons of water per well to crack the rock. Thats up to 200 tanker trucks of water per well. In many cases only 30%- 50% of the water is recovered.

I am aware of what fracking is. I am also aware of what causes earthquakes. While supervising frac jobs, I have never felt an earthquake, even though I know that everytime I break down a rock formation I am creating microseismic events by the scads. (Scads is a technical term used around Americans to convey BIG NUMBERS without confusing them unnecessarily)

Let's just assume the fracking fluids contain a small amount of benzene.. (I don't believe that's a NECCESSARY ingredient) Anyone here take Organic Chem?

Of course. And certainly I have never used benzene, ever, in any frac job I ever designed or supervised. I can't imagine a reason I would ever need to, but certainly as a working engineer I can't vouch for the more complex fracs being done nowadays.

flacaltenn said:
Injecting a gallon of benzene into a fossil fuel reserve is like pissing in sewer.. FAR more benzene in the rock you're fracking than what you're putting in... Same for other hydrocarbon compounds NATURALLY occuring in a LARGE Nat Gas field..

Next problem???

No problem at all. I am still amazed that people think pumping fluids into an oil and gas formation means that fracking is a fresh water aquifer problem.

Dot Com said:

Why?

Dot Com said:

I am aware of what fracking is. I am also aware of what causes earthquakes. While supervising frac jobs, I have never felt an earthquake, even though I know that everytime I break down a rock formation I am creating microseismic events by the scads. (Scads is a technical term used around Americans to convey BIG NUMBERS without confusing them unnecessarily)

Industry mouthpiece.

Posts disregarded.

Dot Com said:

Industry mouthpiece.

Posts disregarded.

Sorry Synth --- your Medieval method of disregarding information has no place in real science debate. Industry hires the MAJORITY of qualified science and engineering grads. You disregard them only if you're lazy or incapable of refuting them. Even in a court of law, their word is equal to any political hack you choose.

Personally -- I don't want an energy policy developed by political hacks that ignore the experience, knowledge and capabilities of the guys who ACTUALLY DO THE WORK of keeping the lights on and your ass warm...

Forum List

Back