Cheney Staying

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=536&ncid=536&e=3&u=/ap/20040715/ap_on_el_pr/cheney_3

WASHINGTON - Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) says rumors aside, he's not dropping out of the race.

President Bush (news - web sites) has been "very clear he doesn't want to break up the team," Cheney said in a C-SPAN interview that will be broadcast Sunday.

There has been persistent speculation that Cheney would step down for political or health reasons.

"He's made his decision," Cheney said of Bush. "I've made mine. I suppose right now, because we're in the run up to the convention, people don't have much to talk about so you get speculation on that. It's normal. When we get to the convention, I think that'll put an end to it."

Frankly, I wanted to see Cheney go only because I felt we needed to "nurture" somebody for the top spot in `08.

However, I am more happy to see that he is staying. We are in a war and for Bush to change, that would send a signal (not really, but the way the libs' antennae are, they would have picked it up this way) that Bush perhaps doubted himself and the decisions made during his first term.

Hey, could you imagine a Powell/Condi ticket? Or even a Condi/JC ticket?

Frankly, there will be somebody that will come out of nowhere during the next couple of years that will take the GOP mantle. One possible contender (seriously) is Rick Perry, the current governor of Texas. He is a Republican, but is also a former Democrat. He could attract a lot of Hispanic votes as from 1985 to 1991, he was a popular politician that represented a rural West Texas district in the Texas House of Representatives. He is a STRONG fiscal conservative, but is more "liberal" in some of his social views.

Id personally like to see Rudy somewhere on the '08 ticket. I agree about Cheney not leaving... I dont see him as a contender for the Presidential election in '08, but I'm glad he's staying.

freeandfun1 said:
Frankly, there will be somebody that will come out of nowhere during the next couple of years that will take the GOP mantle. One possible contender (seriously) is Rick Perry, the current governor of Texas. He is a Republican, but is also a former Democrat. He could attract a lot of Hispanic votes as from 1985 to 1991, he was a popular politician that represented a rural West Texas district in the Texas House of Representatives. He is a STRONG fiscal conservative, but is more "liberal" in some of his social views.

Perry isn't as well liked out here as some would like to think. the moderates of the state see him as too deep in the pockets of big business and paying more attention to tom delay than the states issues like the budget and education.

Cheney's a great guy and a fine conservative, but he could drop dead of a heart attack at my moment!

NOT a good attribute for a President in training, which is what a VP is.

Please Bush, change!

While I believe we'll win with Cheney on, we could win by a much bigger margin if we chose someone like McCain or Powell.

I still want Cheney to voluntarily drop out.

Gop guy said:
Cheney's a great guy and a fine conservative, but he could drop dead of a heart attack at my moment!

NOT a good attribute for a President in training, which is what a VP is.

Please Bush, change!

While I believe we'll win with Cheney on, we could win by a much bigger margin if we chose someone like McCain or Powell.

I still want Cheney to voluntarily drop out.

I agree, though not with your choices. Rice or Giulliani! Powell has already said no, something there the wife doesn't want to deal with. McCain is too right for Bush, though on his own may be viable.

Bush is not going to change. Jesus people. This is not fanatasy politics where we pick and choose the people we want in there. Bush chose Cheney because he was the best man for the Job. He has condaleeza and Powell in there cause they are the best at their jobs. He needs these people where they are so that he has a strong support system. Above all else, he's not the type of guy to abandon a member of the team because they have a few failings.

Cheney will tear apart Edwards. This whole notion of Cheney stepping down was arranged by the Dems to create the illusion of unrest in the Republican camp. How else does a RUMOR get top fold on the NYT.

If its something the Dems want very bad, then it can't be good for the Republican party.

Rice should hold our for 2008, Giulliani would be good yeah.

I mean, without any sort of change, our convention will be a BORING corination.

This might hurt our bounce, which we will need.

Gop guy said:

If Cheney is GW's Choice, fine. Giulliani does it for me now! Condi in 2008! I'd love to see her with Watts. :D

Gop guy said:

Incumbents don't get a bounce from conventions traditionally. Don't worry about July polls especially in this day and age. People's attention spans are so short i bet many people don't even rmemeber who Michael Moore is by now. I guarantee come november, no one will remember the conventions because 8000 more things will happen by then. So stop worrying.

Kathianne said:
If Cheney is GW's Choice, fine. Giulliani does it for me now! Condi in 2008! I'd love to see her with Watts. :D

Hmmmm, an all black ticket, risky, but it would make history and would without a doubt give us a real fighting chance of bringing blacks back to our party, where they belong.

Gop guy said:
Hmmmm, an all black ticket, risky, but it would make history and would without a doubt give us a real fighting chance of bringing blacks back to our party, where they belong.

Risky? Yah, past time! Funny thing, I think they'd carry the regular GOP, not sure about the rest! Go figure?

insein said:
Bush is not going to change. Jesus people. This is not fanatasy politics where we pick and choose the people we want in there. Bush chose Cheney because he was the best man for the Job. He has condaleeza and Powell in there cause they are the best at their jobs. He needs these people where they are so that he has a strong support system. Above all else, he's not the type of guy to abandon a member of the team because they have a few failings.

Cheney will tear apart Edwards. This whole notion of Cheney stepping down was arranged by the Dems to create the illusion of unrest in the Republican camp. How else does a RUMOR get top fold on the NYT.

If its something the Dems want very bad, then it can't be good for the Republican party.

I suppose that if Bush gave up Cheney for someone else, no matter WHO he picked, Bush would still be criticized severely by the media, not only for dropping Cheney but for his choice of a new candidate.

They'd probably say that replacing Cheney was admission that he was wrong about Iraq and admission of bad doings by Halliburton and Cheney of course. Also any replacement would be criticized to the max for whatever reason they could drum up on them.

The liberal media will never stop! :puke3:

It will be fun to watch the Cheney/Edwards debate. Although Edwards has his slick trial lawyer background, he won't be able to pull a fast one on Cheney.

ScreamingEagle said:
I suppose that if Bush gave up Cheney for someone else, no matter WHO he picked, Bush would still be criticized severely by the media, not only for dropping Cheney but for his choice of a new candidate.

They'd probably say that replacing Cheney was admission that he was wrong about Iraq and admission of bad doings by Halliburton and Cheney of course. Also any replacement would be criticized to the max for whatever reason they could drum up on them.

The liberal media will never stop! :puke3:

It will be fun to watch the Cheney/Edwards debate. Although Edwards has his slick trial lawyer background, he won't be able to pull a fast one on Cheney.

Edwards is all BS. Cheney is anything but BS. Cheney will kill him.

Gop guy said:
You two make good points, but I still want Cheney out.

I have no idea why. He's only been everything a good VP is supposed to be. He's backed up with Strong Support for Bush on every step. He's given good advice when asked for it from Bush. He doesnt take shit from pandering politicians. He's another good leader to have in the oval Office.

There is no GOOD reason to have him out of there.

ScreamingEagle said:

Absolutely. They start the rumor that Pres. Bush may drop his VP from the ticket. They get some mileage out of that for the time being. If Bush does drop Cheney, they'll have a field day. They'll claim that the Bush campaign is in a panic mode and mired in chaos. The only thing that will shut them up is a Bush victory this November.

I'm looking forward to doing a LOT of gloating.

I intend to be totally merciless.

Forum List

Back