Cheese making.

I finished the gjetost this morning. It's a Norwegian cheese that uses the whey from another type of cheese. You basically boil the whey, reducing it until it thickens and the lactose caramelizes. Adding cream improves the texture and makes the flavor a bit richer. It's a salty-sweet cheese that works well with fruit and served on crispy bread, like Wasabrot or Melba toast.

I finished the gjetost this morning. It's a Norwegian cheese that uses the whey from another type of cheese. You basically boil the whey, reducing it until it thickens and the lactose caramelizes. Adding cream improves the texture and makes the flavor a bit richer. It's a salty-sweet cheese that works well with fruit and served on crispy bread, like Wasabrot or Melba toast.
Are you familiar with Malsovit bread? I used to buy it at a small bakery here...decades ago...very high in fiber...a brownish bread with little white dots in it...I seem to recall it being Scandinavian of some sort.

.....just looked it up. It's Dutch....I was close.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with (forgive my schpelling) Molsovit bread? I used to buy it at a small bakery here...decades ago...very high in fiber...a brownish bread with little white dots in it...I seem to recall it being Scandinavian of some sort.
Are you referring to "Milosevic bread" (Serbian)? I can't say I've heard of any specific product with that name. Gjetost is good on just about anything, but I prefer darker bread types, or crunchy bread of crackers. I've been eating spelt bread myself lately. I've discovered that crappy, over-processed white bread, and most derivatives of such, contribute to weight gain (at least for me).

Are you familiar with (forgive my schpelling) Molsovit bread? I used to buy it at a small bakery here...decades ago...very high in fiber...a brownish bread with little white dots in it...I seem to recall it being Scandinavian of some sort.
Are you referring to "Milosevic bread" (Serbian)? I can't say I've heard of any specific product with that name. Gjetost is good on just about anything, but I prefer darker bread types, or crunchy bread of crackers. I've been eating spelt bread myself lately. I've discovered that crappy, over-processed white bread, and most derivatives of such, contribute to weight gain (at least for me).
No, but I know a Serbian named Milosevic....Miro...cool dude!

I found a source for the Malsovit bread...just ordered 5 loaves...delivery on 6-4...I'll report on the quality.

THE CHEESECAKE PROJECT

Ok so, I make the best cheesecake in the universe. However, I have gotten cheesecake in various places accross the US that admit is probably just as good. Well, I don't want to share the top. But how do I improve on perfection? Well, one way is to completely make it from scratch. I going to make a cheesecake with cream cheese that I made, with sour cream that made, and with a graham cracker crust made from graham crackers that I also made.

When I started, I learned right away that I cannot make cream cheese from the cream that I buy in the store. All of it is Ultra-pasteurized. Ultra pasteurized milk will not make curds. I ended up getting my cream directly from a local farmer and pasteurized it myself. Here is the resulting cream cheese:
I had a delicious piece of 'from scratch' cheesecake this weekend at a three day party. It was perfect! Tart and sweet go together quite well.

Yup, a good cheesecake has sour cream as one of the ingredients.

Gjetost is done and in the fridge cooling. From about 8 qts of whey, I got about a half pound of cheese. Basically, you boil whey until it reduces, and as it thickens, the lactose caramelizes. It's a salty-sweet, brownish spreadable cheese that goes well with fruit and crispy bread.

Wow! I need to try that. What is the best way to hold onto the whey until I can use it? Refrigerator? How long can it stay there?

I found a source for the Malsovit bread...just ordered 5 loaves...delivery on 6-4...I'll report on the quality.

If it's any good, would you share your source?

Gjetost is done and in the fridge cooling. From about 8 qts of whey, I got about a half pound of cheese. Basically, you boil whey until it reduces, and as it thickens, the lactose caramelizes. It's a salty-sweet, brownish spreadable cheese that goes well with fruit and crispy bread.

Wow! I need to try that. What is the best way to hold onto the whey until I can use it? Refrigerator? How long can it stay there?

It works best with fresh whey. I try to plan making it on a weekend. You can make it using cow's milk whey (mysost) or using a blend of goat and cow whey. The name brunost is used as a description for all varieties of this type of cheese. If you make it softer and spreadable, it's called primost.

If it's any good, would you share your source?
I'll share be it good or bad.

Best Bakery in Houston TX Cakes Pies Cupcakes Three Brothers Bakery They call it Malsovit Loaf.

There's a weight loss plan built around switching exclusively to Malsovit bread. It has so much fiber in it that you can't go too long between movements...and I don't mean Bethoven's.

I see many interesting items on the website. I think I have found a new friend!

I can't wait to try the Ceremonial 10LB Pointed Challah....for only $100.00 a copy.
Ceremonial 10LB Pointed Challah Three Brothers Bakery

Last edited:

It works best with fresh whey. I try to plan making it on a weekend. You can make it using cow's milk whey (mysost) or using a blend of goat and cow whey. The name brunost is used as a description for all varieties of this type of cheese. If you make it softer and spreadable, it's called primost.

Problem is that usually after I've drained off the whey, I'm busy further working on the cheese and can't see how I'd have time to stop and make another separate cheese at the same time. I guess I can't multi-task.

Problem is that usually after I've drained off the whey, I'm busy further working on the cheese and can't see how I'd have time to stop and make another separate cheese at the same time. I guess I can't multi-task.
You don't have to do it right away. Leaving the whey in the 'fridge probably won't do much damage. I'd recommend you give it a try. It's time consuming but relatively simple to make. If you'd like to know what you're looking for as a result, the most common grocery store rendition is something called "Ski Queen". Because I used the whey from a batch of mozzie, it's a bit sharper due to the lipase. Still really tasty, though. The mysost/gjetost takes so long to boil down, for the first part, you just let it cook at a slow boil. In the meantime, you have plenty of time to work your other cheese.

Cheese making status update:

I am closing in on my 40th cheese. Wow that went fast.

I am still having trouble getting my cheddar's texture right. The taste is perfect but it has the texture of feta cheese. Crumbly, I don't like that. I've been trying everything to fix it but to no avail. I have one last idea to try. I might not be mixing my rennet well enough. If this next cheddar isn't fixed, I'm giving up on cheddars.

I make Parmesan and Romano cheese really very well.
I make perfect cream cheese and have used it to make cheesecake.
I make excellent blue cheese too.

My total failures so far have been mozzarella and goat cheese.

After I try one more cheddar, I'm going to make Shropshire Blue, one if my favorite cheeses ever.

I am still having trouble getting my cheddar's texture right. The taste is perfect but it has the texture of feta cheese. Crumbly, I don't like that. I've been trying everything to fix it but to no avail. I have one last idea to try. I might not be mixing my rennet well enough. If this next cheddar isn't fixed, I'm giving up on cheddars.

After I try one more cheddar, I'm going to make Shropshire Blue, one if my favorite cheeses ever.
Great job, PredFan! It's been an unsuccessful cheese year so far for me. I don't know whether it's been the uncommonly warm weather, but I've had such a problem getting a curd to set. My research indicated that I have been warming my milk to fast (I'm always operating with limited time and hurry too much). So I started warming more slowly. I think I have it now, though. I had started buying small portions of rennet locally. But the place I buy rennet at is primarily a home-brew supplier. I suspect that their rennet is pretty old, considering they don't necessarily sell a lot of it. I ordered some rennet online and have so far gotten a good curd with each batch.
I've had the problem with crumbly cheddar, too. Try using less weight to press it. And check the size of your curds.

Great job, PredFan! It's been an unsuccessful cheese year so far for me. I don't know whether it's been the uncommonly warm weather, but I've had such a problem getting a curd to set. My research indicated that I have been warming my milk to fast (I'm always operating with limited time and hurry too much). So I started warming more slowly. I think I have it now, though. I had started buying small portions of rennet locally. But the place I buy rennet at is primarily a home-brew supplier. I suspect that their rennet is pretty old, considering they don't necessarily sell a lot of it. I ordered some rennet online and have so far gotten a good curd with each batch.
I've had the problem with crumbly cheddar, too. Try using less weight to press it. And check the size of your curds.

The first thing I'm going to do is mix my rennet more thoroughly. I have been taking shortcuts there. It says to mix for one minute but I don't even mix for more than 15 seconds. It always seemed to me that it would be well mixed by then. I might try using less weight as well. Thanks.

I think I've got the problems solved, Pred. Using the online ordered rennet and cultures, I've been turning out damned near perfect curds. They're setting up in the press really well, too. But you're right, patience is a prerequisite to good cheese. Now that I've been taking more time with warming my milk, I've less pre-culture separation. And using fresh cultures and rennet is an absolute necessity. No more local buying. Unfortunately, there isn't enough demand locally to ensure fresh ingredients.

I think I am going to have to abandon making Parmesan Cheese. The first 4 pounds I made turned out OK but just a bit too dry and hard. So I took steps to maintain more moisture and now I can't keep the mold off of it. The more I remove the mold, the more that grows.

Currently my most successful cheese is by far the Blue Cheese. It is tasty and perfect. I also am good at cream cheese which I've been using to make cheesecake. I am still going to give the cheddar one more chance.

Truly, if all I ever made was Blue Cheese I wound not be unhappy.

Almost time to move to the next chapter in the cheese recipe book.

Blue cheese is quite an accomplishment. Now that I have good curds, I'm having problems with spongy cheese in my molds. I finally got a decent mozzarella, but am still perplexed about what might be my problem. Maybe I should try a Bleu? The 'Swiss' cheeses I made last year are still tasty and mold-free.

Forum List

Back